Diet Sodas?

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You are right im relating the two. My other post was saying sugars, i include them together Sugars/Sweetners) shouldn't but i do. Neither one are probably at all related sugar, aspartame and my personal fat loss but because it happened its kept me continuing what i'm doing. Just an interesting read below:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

But but, you said all of this wonderful stuff, and mentioned cake. It's ok, you got caught.

"I personally gave them up no reason just to see what happens to my body and I literally just started loosing my love handles. No other change to my diet. This was the first time in my life they shrank"

and this

"I gave up sugars, yes sugars there's lots of them. Did it more as an experiment then anything. I felt better lost my love handles which I've never done before (guess that's where that sugar was going, *this is a joke*) but in seriousness my love handles shrunk drastically"

"If i didn't notice a difference I would probably be Fasting all day to get some cake in to my calories."

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    sosteach wrote: »
    One diet soda a day is fine. Regular soda has calories with no nutritive value. The studies that showed diet soda to be bad were way too small and not conclusive and honestly can't back up if it is bad for you or not. Check out the Sept. 2017 issue of webmd magazine for a great article about the studies done on diet soda. It is free online

But my coke has sugar and sodium in it. Are we saying sugar and sodium aren't needed at all for a diet, and provide no nutritional value?

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    sosteach wrote: »
    One diet soda a day is fine. Regular soda has calories with no nutritive value. The studies that showed diet soda to be bad were way too small and not conclusive and honestly can't back up if it is bad for you or not. Check out the Sept. 2017 issue of webmd magazine for a great article about the studies done on diet soda. It is free online

But my coke has sugar and sodium in it. Are we saying sugar and sodium aren't needed at all for a diet, and provide no nutritional value?

I think people draw a distinction between macros and nutrients. There is also a line drawn between things your body needs but it'd be hard not to get plenty of in a typical diet (like sodium) and things that are much less typical that you might want to actively seek out to include in your diet (like calcium or potassium). I don't think its that crazy to say that a coke doesn't have nutritional value because the "nutrition" it supplies is a very common macro and a common electrolyte that really doesn't have "value" to add to your typical diet.
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thats a good question Natural vs Chemical. The FDA seems to be having a hard time to.

"From a food science perspective, it is difficult to define a food product that is 'natural' because the food has probably been processed and is no longer the product of the earth. That said, FDA has not developed a definition for use of the term natural or its derivatives. However, the agency has not objected to the use of the term if the food does not contain added color, artificial flavors, or synthetic substances. For more information, see "Natural" on Food Labeling. " https://www.fda.gov/aboutfda/transparency/basics/ucm214868.htm
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You are right im relating the two. My other post was saying sugars, i include them together Sugars/Sweetners) shouldn't but i do. Neither one are probably at all related sugar, aspartame and my personal fat loss but because it happened its kept me continuing what i'm doing. Just an interesting read below:

How many people have you seen walking around with a double bacon cheeseburger and the largest french fry available...but it's all good because they're drinking a diet soda? I've seen lots...
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How many people have you seen walking around with a double bacon cheeseburger and the largest french fry available...but it's all good because they're drinking a diet soda? I've seen lots...

I hear this all the time, and I know everyone rolls their eyes at me for doing this, but if my calorie limit just barely allows my most-favoritest Whataburger lunch every so often (and as it is, I'm sacrificing the mayo for cheese and skipping breakfast), no way am I going to waste any of those calories on full-sugar soda when the diet version still brings me joy (JOY, I tell you!), and I don't know why this particular meal-ordering phenomenon is so vexing to people.

If someone could come up with a zero-calorie bacon cheeseburger, I'd order that, too.

This.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

To be fair, it depends on the situation really. I can fit a cheeseburger and fries into my daily goals pretty easily, but a normal coke would destroy it. Id rather have the extra 200ish calories for other food and not drink my calories away.

On the other hand if they are using the diet coke as justification to add more food without consideration to calories/nutrition, its pretty reckless and silly.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I hear this all the time, and I know everyone rolls their eyes at me for doing this, but if my calorie limit just barely allows my most-favoritest Whataburger lunch every so often (and as it is, I'm sacrificing the mayo for cheese and skipping breakfast), no way am I going to waste any of those calories on full-sugar soda when the diet version still brings me joy (JOY, I tell you!), and I don't know why this particular meal-ordering phenomenon is so vexing to people.

If someone could come up with a zero-calorie bacon cheeseburger, I'd order that, too.

I should have kept reading, you basically said what I did.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

If I order soda, it's diet soda. Period. Regardless of what I'm eating, how many calories I do or don't have left for the day or anything else. I like the taste of diet soda better than regular soda and if I have extra calories available, I'd prefer to expend them on more food rather than a non-diet soda. So whether I'm ordering the double half-pound bacon cheeseburger and chili cheese fries or the lean turkey sandwich wrapped in lettuce and a side salad, it'll be diet soda for me. Or if I don't feel like drinking soda, it'll be iced tea or water.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lutzsher wrote: »
    In my quest to not only lose weight but to gain better health they are an item I have deleted, partly because of heart disease rampant in my family so I carefully watch sodium intake and all diet soda contains sodium. I have switched to flavored sparkling waters instead. There are many flavors and lots that are sodium free so it works when I have a craving for something bubbly. As for the alcohol, sadly that is another item I have deleted as I have had previous issues with portion control. Plus I realized that when I drink it seems to stall my weight loss even if it is within my calories that day, something about the alcohol just keeps my body hanging onto that weight so it has just been better for me to give it up to save my sanity each week when I get on the scale.

Just for the record, Coke Zero contains 11mg of sodium per 100ml, where water has 5mg per 100ml.

Ugh, but Coke Zero tastes like *kitten* :( ha ha. I was never much of a fan of diet soda anyway though, it was always classified as just "mix" in my former life.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    mtbusse73 wrote: »
    Ok...I hear that Diet Sodas are bad for you. But are they as bad for you as regular sodas? Is one a day OK? Would I be better off having a glass of dry wine? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I would choose the wine.

The wine has calories, the diet soda doesn't. I don't see it as an either/or. It's like asking if I should choose wine or water . . . clearly one can consume both in the same day.

Very true! But if I had the choice and i had to drink one. I would fit the Dry Wine into my calories. There lots of arguments above about aspartame positive/neutral/negative. I don't know much about it to be honest and don't know if i'm for or against it. I'm just saying I would choose the wine. If my choice was water or wine well then that gets trickier :smile:. If your comparing Diet Soda to Water though I would assume there would be some differences even though they are both zero calorie.
    I quit drinking diet soda because my husband and I would go through 6 12 pks a week and it was expensive. It was all I drank and it's not bad for you imo, but the amount I drank made me personally feel like crap I've come to realize. Since I quit, I'm less bloated, have no sugar cravings, and no longer have this weird back ache in the kidney area. I did change other things around the same time, so I can't attribute all that to no longer drinking the equivalent of 1.5 two liters a day of Diet Coke, but I think my body is happier? Eh, just my n=1. I want to stress the only reason we stopped was financial and not because I think it's bad. I still use Equal as my artificial sweetener of choice, so it definitely wasn't the aspartame people like to blacklist.

Now I drink black coffee in the am, water until after lunch, then I'll have one Coke zero, and then it's unsweet iced tea with a little bit of equal till bed. I just brought in the Coke zero this week because I miss the fizz and hate/detest stuff like LaCroix. So far no detrimental effects and I treat it as an afternoon treat with no calories. After a month off the stuff, I've come to prefer iced tea, which is easy to make and way cheaper.

The bolded is why I drink water with flavor packets more often than soda, and why I drink soda more often than alcoholic beverages. I usually have a diet A&W with lunch, though sometimes it's a diet ginger ale.

I'm cheap.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I really have to try Diet A&W. Its highly promoted. So it's either really good or a lot of people work for them, :). Either way, I am down.