Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How long can a person survive without eating?

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Being in ketosis is not harmful, and I doubt they'd even monitor it for that specifically.

Not having nutrition for that long while pregnant is, and I don't think any hospital would do that -- they have too many concerns about liability, as well as it just making no sense at all.

I mean, after four months, wouldn't she have died from some sort of nutritional deficiency if nothing else?
    and if in ketosis for that long couldnt a person end up with ketoacidosis even without having diabetes?

If she had an elevated cortisol level, probably. Not before she died from the electrolyte imbalance, though.

For the record (other posters), I wasn't implying that ketosis is harmful, merely that it would is have been an effect of the treatment she described, and she'd failed to mention it.

ketosis isnt harmful for the most part no but from what ive read when in ketosis from starvation it can lead to ketoacidososis which is NOT a good thing even if you arent diabetic.

True. People with ketosis from starvation, however, aren't being infused with sodium alone, which would greatly accelerate the electrolyte imbalance. The sorts of medical professionals who would subject a patient to such a treatment are straight out of the Nurses Who Kill tv show.

I AGREE and those people should lose their license to practice medicine. I know anytime I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration(from flu or pneumonia) they always gave me glucose as well as saline.I wasnt pregnant either.

For me in the er they run saline or ringer right away and after blood work add whatever they need to fix deficiencies (ie electrolytes)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    CoachJen71 wrote: »
    I heard it as the rule of 3s: 3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter (when out in the elements,) 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.

Most humans cannot survive without food for 50 days. The longest hunger strike recorded is 74 days.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Being in ketosis is not harmful, and I doubt they'd even monitor it for that specifically.

Not having nutrition for that long while pregnant is, and I don't think any hospital would do that -- they have too many concerns about liability, as well as it just making no sense at all.

I mean, after four months, wouldn't she have died from some sort of nutritional deficiency if nothing else?
    and if in ketosis for that long couldnt a person end up with ketoacidosis even without having diabetes?

If she had an elevated cortisol level, probably. Not before she died from the electrolyte imbalance, though.

For the record (other posters), I wasn't implying that ketosis is harmful, merely that it would is have been an effect of the treatment she described, and she'd failed to mention it.

ketosis isnt harmful for the most part no but from what ive read when in ketosis from starvation it can lead to ketoacidososis which is NOT a good thing even if you arent diabetic.

True. People with ketosis from starvation, however, aren't being infused with sodium alone, which would greatly accelerate the electrolyte imbalance. The sorts of medical professionals who would subject a patient to such a treatment are straight out of the Nurses Who Kill tv show.

I AGREE and those people should lose their license to practice medicine. I know anytime I ended up in the hospital due to dehydration(from flu or pneumonia) they always gave me glucose as well as saline.I wasnt pregnant either.

For me in the er they run saline or ringer right away and after blood work add whatever they need to fix deficiencies (ie electrolytes)

yeah but for me usually when I get dehydrated I end up needing glucose even though I dont have insulin issues(could be due to the dehydration) but I am not in the ER when this is done. Im usually admitted because my flu or pneumonia is so bad. but havent had either one since 2003/2004 thankfully
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

yeah but for me usually when I get dehydrated I end up needing glucose even though I dont have insulin issues(could be due to the dehydration) but I am not in the ER when this is done. Im usually admitted because my flu or pneumonia is so bad. but havent had either one since 2003/2004 thankfully

I go to the er just for dehydration because I have an ileostomy (fluid is absorbed in the colon which I don't have so fluid balance is difficult. Have to drink more as I lose more. High output days I can lose 2+ liters from my stoma) and haven't been admitted yet for it thankfully. Just pump me up with fluids and go home.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    In case no one has posted this yet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

TL;DR: 382 days with no food for morbidly obese man under medical supervision. As long as you get electrolytes, you can survive without food until you reach essential levels of body fat (2-4% for men, 10-12% for women).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In case no one has posted this yet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

TL;DR: 382 days with no food for morbidly obese man under medical supervision. As long as you get electrolytes, you can survive without food until you reach essential levels of body fat (2-4% for men, 10-12% for women).

so OP was getting electrolytes in her saline only drip. good to know!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    OP if you really need to know ask the doctors where you work.
    Btw why do you want to know
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
This discussion has been closed.