Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How long can a person survive without eating?

Options

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I have (and friends have) completed more than 3 days doing a completely dry fasts...

So you eat and drink nothing for multiple days? Why?

Because that's his woo. He posts this stuff all the time.

Got to drink all the Woo!

Is that before or after the dry fast?

1 gallon before.... 1 gallon 4 days later. You'll live forever.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    jesslla wrote: »
    If stretch marks are scars, and you can heal them by starving yourself of food and water for three days (or more), does this mean I can also heal my huge knee surgery scar by doing the same thing? Can I also regenerate severed nerves at the same time? I sure would like to look better in shorts and not have my leg feel weird when I touch it!

Who cares if my blood sugar drops so low that I die? Beauty is ~pain~ and woo is magical.

Just get a saline drip.

Obvs. It's so simple.

But I'll lose my hair. I just cut off four-five inches, due to an overzealous bit of bleaching when I tried going pink (I loved the pink, but the dye I used was crap and couldn't get a good even dye and couldn't justify the cost of the upkeep). So my hair finally looks like my own again, and I don't want to lose it. :cry:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If stretch marks are scars, and you can heal them by starving yourself of food and water for three days (or more), does this mean I can also heal my huge knee surgery scar by doing the same thing? Can I also regenerate severed nerves at the same time? I sure would like to look better in shorts and not have my leg feel weird when I touch it!

Who cares if my blood sugar drops so low that I die? Beauty is ~pain~ and woo is magical.

Just get a saline drip.

Doesn't that spoil the dry fast?
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Just get a saline drip.

But it's going into your veins, not your stomach. And it's just saline, so it's not any nutrients. Just salt.

Pretty sure a dry fast means no water, as well as no food. Maybe salt is okay, but I'd assume no.

(And I was being funny, or trying to be.)
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options

Just get a saline drip.

But it's going into your veins, not your stomach. And it's just saline, so it's not any nutrients. Just salt.

Pretty sure a dry fast means no water OR food.

So was I. I just forgot the winky face. :grin: It's hard to read sarcasm, and I'm pretty sarcastic. My bad.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Just get a saline drip.

So was I. I just forgot the winky face. :grin: It's hard to read sarcasm, and I'm pretty sarcastic. My bad.

Heh, my mistake. Read it over and seems obvious now!
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options

Just get a saline drip.

Heh, my mistake. Read it over and seems obvious now!

No worries. People do often miss my humor. :D
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    a dry fast? really? have fun being dehydrated and we all know what dehydration and even severe dehydration can cause/do. the things someone will do because they think it will "help" them or heal them. stretch marks are there for life they fade but dont go away(surgery may not even help). as for digestive issues one would think not eating/drinking anything would cause the stomach issues especially when yo go back to eating and your body has to make more acid to break down food where it didnt have to produce much without food. oh while this is NOT a good idea for anyone its definitely not a good idea for those with diabetes.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    and if in ketosis for that long couldnt a person end up with ketoacidosis even without having diabetes?
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    and if in ketosis for that long couldnt a person end up with ketoacidosis even without having diabetes?

If she had an elevated cortisol level, probably. Not before she died from the electrolyte imbalance, though.

For the record (other posters), I wasn't implying that ketosis is harmful, merely that it would is have been an effect of the treatment she described, and she'd failed to mention it.
This discussion has been closed.