Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How long can a person survive without eating?

Options

Replies

• Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    World record for longest fast is like 45 days I think.

Kenny Saylors water fasted for 55 days in 2010. Although it was denied entry into the book for world records because they didn't want someone to lose their life trying to break it.
  • gigmaster
    gigmaster Posts: 20 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I believe the record for a 'true' fast (no food of any kind, including juices, beverages other than water, IV drips, etc...) is held by Booby Sands in Ireland in 1952, at 66 days. He died of self-imposed starvation in prison.

All other claims I reject, because they either had IV or nasal drips, or took in nourishment by liquids such as juices, and other nutritional drinks.

I would say that the limit for absolutely no food is around 2 months, depending on your weight when you start, and also providing you get enough water. The limit for no water is 3 to 4 days, tops.

As far as just not eating, you could probably survive indefinitely on juices, nutritional drinks, etc..., providing you took in enough. Drinks like Ensure are just about a complete meal by themselves.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    gigmaster wrote: »
    I believe the record for a 'true' fast (no food of any kind, including juices, beverages other than water, IV drips, etc...) is held by Booby Sands in Ireland in 1952, at 66 days. He died of self-imposed starvation in prison.

All other claims I reject, because they either had IV or nasal drips, or took in nourishment by liquids such as juices, and other nutritional drinks.

I would say that the limit for absolutely no food is around 2 months, depending on your weight when you start, and also providing you get enough water. The limit for no water is 3 to 4 days, tops.

Is it still a record if they die in the end?

Well, dying is a pretty long fast...... :D
  • raefon
    raefon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    World record for longest fast is like 45 days I think.

You are waaaaaaay off world record is 382 days. Yes the person was morbidly obese and went from 207 kg to 82 kg
  • raefon
    raefon Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oh and 4 months on a drip your ketones must have been insane, unless there was something else added. As for me when I fast its usually for 6-7 days and my ketones skyrocket into the 7-8 mmol range and blood sugar then usually hits the low warning on my monitor so I break the fast.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing to say about any of the other drama in this thread, except to say that OP is grossly mistaken about her treatment in the hospital, but if I ever had HG, it would be the LAST pregnancy, that's for sure. Sounds like a nightmare. :o
  • fionawilliamson
    fionawilliamson Posts: 110 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    myself I don't go anywhere without a large volume of food stores on board (although it's becoming less each week). I would be perfect for those survival shows where they have nothing to eat for weeks - would win for sure :)
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    because my spell check sucks...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I read through this whole thing and thus far- this is my take away
    A. it came back up. (yunk yunk yunk- YAY VOMIT JOKES)
    B. people STILL can't read the whole thread
    C. why do people WANT to get pregnant
    D. how the fk did our frail human population survive if we can't bring children to term. Jesu.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I'm so amazed that a site that is suppose to be helpful is full of posters just blasting others and calling them lyres.
    Why would anyone call me a musical instrument? :o

:D
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    About 3 weeks, give or take, if you are really not intaking anything other than plain water. It's not usually the lack of reserves to burn that kills people, it's things like severe electrolyte imbalance, vitamin deficiencies, etc. That's why obese people can't safely just stop eating for a few months to lose weight. You have to be taking supplements, and even then it's risky. There is more that keeps you alive in food than calories and the 3 basic macronutrients.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sadly the experiment has been done with the Hunger strikers in Northern Ireland in 1981.

The range for those that died (there were 10) was from 46 to 73 days, with the majority dying around the 60-66 day mark. Another 13 took part but were either taken off by their families, or due to the strike ending. One of these participants survived for 70 days.

There is however a study of an obese patient that went on a 382 day fast under medical supervision in 1965/1966 where vitamins and electrolytes were also administered. He dropped from 456lbs to 180lbs in that time. It's worth noting that the study does point to at least five deaths associated with the treatment of obesity by total starvation, so it's not risk free.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf

• slossia
    slossia Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure! But I’ve heard of a very overweight individual that went over a year without food, just water. I think he lost over 200 lbs! I think he started out at 400lbs!! Not sure though, someone can google that!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    slossia wrote: »
    I’m not sure! But I’ve heard of a very overweight individual that went over a year without food, just water. I think he lost over 200 lbs! I think he started out at 400lbs!! Not sure though, someone can google that!

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/

The record was 382 days.
This discussion has been closed.