Replies

• rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    maryannprt wrote: »
    zfitgal wrote: »
    maryannprt wrote: »
    so I was definitely under fueling for my exercises I was doing...right now MFP says I should be eating 1930 to maintain (without exercise). Wow, I always thought eating 2000 calories would be crazy! You Don t think I can go back into a slight defecit when returning? I feel gross!

You've said repeatedly you feel "gross". Maybe talk to your doctor about the potentially unrealistic view you have of your body and how it functions. Don't do anything until you do. So, so many reasons women need to have a little more fat than men with long term ramifications for your health.

I feel gross because I havent exercised in over a month and I have put on a little over 10 pounds...I was always around 127-135 and never lost my period, yes I have trained much harder then I ever had and more intense, but I was always lean and I just want to maintain my lean body...If not exercising the way I was before is going to allow me to be lean and have my period then thats something I will definitely do...but that is the reason I feel gross.

You say you feel gross and you're trying to get people on this thread to tell you to ignore your doctor's directions. I think we all understand WHY you feel gross. You're used to looking and feeling a certain way, and now you don't. I'm saying that may not be a healthy thing for you to be concentrating on. Your periods don't stop for no good reason, and those reasons can have long term consequences for your health. Talk to your doctor about how you're feeling. I'm sorry if you took my comment in a negative or dismissive way, because that was not my intention. I want you to be healthy AND fit, AND maintain your fertility and long term health. Maybe your doctor can refer you to a team who has experience in working with women in your situation. Good luck.
    I agree. OP feel free to message me, I'm always a listening ear.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're working your body too hard and not eating enough micros and calories to sustain it. Follow doctors orders, that's why you went to the doctors to find out what's wrong and he instructed what to do. You can watch your calories after you gained the weight back but just try to stay around the weight you are now which I'm assuming is 143 because you were 133 but had to gain 10 pounds.

Im sure you are right, I dont really know exactly how many calories Im burning when exercising. I do thnink my exercises were a very intense but I thought that would get me the best fitness look...MFP puts me at a maintenance of 2090 for being 133 and active...I should have increased to maintenance because I was happy where I was but I didnt...I dont think I was severely under eating and it definitely wasnt intentional...I definitley dont think I have a body image issue I just want to be lean, menstruate and be healthy and feel and be fit...Ive always been around 127-133 pounds and never had an issue, I do have more muscle mass now then I ever did, I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

I really appreciate your support and kindness! It means so much to me...I cant wait to finally get my period...I feel like my life has been on hold because of this...I know it sounds crazy but the gym opens my head and without it its closed :(

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Chances are you're working your body too hard and not eating enough micros and calories to sustain it. Follow doctors orders, that's why you went to the doctors to find out what's wrong and he instructed what to do. You can watch your calories after you gained the weight back but just try to stay around the weight you are now which I'm assuming is 143 because you were 133 but had to gain 10 pounds.

Im sure you are right, I dont really know exactly how many calories Im burning when exercising. I do thnink my exercises were a very intense but I thought that would get me the best fitness look...MFP puts me at a maintenance of 2090 for being 133 and active...I should have increased to maintenance because I was happy where I was but I didnt...I dont think I was severely under eating and it definitely wasnt intentional...I definitley dont think I have a body image issue I just want to be lean, menstruate and be healthy and feel and be fit...Ive always been around 127-133 pounds and never had an issue, I do have more muscle mass now then I ever did, I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

I really appreciate your support and kindness! It means so much to me...I cant wait to finally get my period...I feel like my life has been on hold because of this...I know it sounds crazy but the gym opens my head and without it its closed :(

As I noted in a post upthread, your fat intake is very low. That in combination with the low calorie intake was a recipe for disaster because your hormones need a minimal amount of fat to function.

You should be eating at the very least .65 - .85 grams of protein per pound of ideal body weight and at least .45 grams of fat to promote optimal body composition and hormone function. Your diary showed you falling far short of those goals.

When you're eating at your new goal (which should be maintenance for your current weight, not 2090 which is for your ideal weight), check your intake to ensure that you're meeting those targets. You should probably shoot for a bit higher than .45g goal for fat since you're working on restoring hormone function.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your thread but same!! I haven’t had my period for 7 months now and I had to greatly reduce my exercise... I feel fat and gross and have gained 5 lbs from my lowest weight.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It is strange how differently bodies work. I trained to an athletic level back in 2013/2014, got to 12% bodyfat (measured by trainer and also confirmed visually by some of the more reputable members here) and I still got my wretched period... I add I hate the things as they are so painful in my case. Heck I still get it now at the same sort of bodyfat and a much lower weight. It is really strange.

The only thing I can think of is that I ate a heck of a lot back then, often 3500 calories per day so I really do think it might be largely down to nutrition intake. Yes, I had low bodyfat but I was also eating plenty to fuel what I was doing on an almost daily basis. Currently, I do not eat so much as I do not train so much, but still usually over 2k calories per day. Or maybe it is only when I go below a certain weight as opposed to bodyfat % that they stop and I know what that number is from past experience.

I would stick to maintenance, maybe add a little cardio back in so you wont feel so uncomfortable with yourself, and remember that you are beautiful regardless of how lean or not lean you are, hard as that might be.