Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Dad and I talked about the advances in weather prediction since we were kids...

Which is kinda scary, considering how wrong they still get things.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

You have NO idea. Back in 1987 there was no Doppler radar. With precious little warning, our city was hit by a killer tornado. Even with the bigger storms, we are seeing very little loss of life these days, because we have decent warning. Heck, my phone tells me to the minute when I'm about to be rained on.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

You have NO idea. Back in 1987 there was no Doppler radar. With precious little warning, our city was hit by a killer tornado. Even with the bigger storms, we are seeing very little loss of life these days, because we have decent warning. Heck, my phone tells me to the minute when I'm about to be rained on.

LOL. Yeah, I was 15yo back in 1987. I remember. And maybe it's different where you are (I'm in New England), but they get the forecast wrong many days. I've been caught out in the rain (heavy downpour on one particular occasion) on my motorcycle a few times when there was supposedly a 0% chance of precipitation all day.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I would NOT consider physical therapy "alternative medicine," and no PT I've met would either. (I was prescribed PT by my doctor, and know many others who were.)[/quote]

Of course PT is not part of alternative medicine - it is entirely mainstream and is taught within Medical Schools, Faculties of Medicine and such institutions

I know because I am a PT and I work directly with doctors and surgeons

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, for another example, my mother broke her hip, and was immediately after surgery working with a PT at her hospital.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568997215000245

This is on the proof, other studies on Leaky Gut.

Thanks for attempting to answer the question. This is what I get from the article:

"The incidence of autoimmune diseases (AD) is increasing world-wide, mainly in western countries and the role of the environment in AD development is gradually becoming clear."

My note: is this certain, or is it just diagnosed more? Some of the alleged culprits, of course, such as gluten, have been in the human diet for a very long time and were a much more significant portion of the diet in the past, at least for some places and groups. The article focuses just on the past 30 years, which seems inconsistent with many of the proposed causes of this supposed leaking problem. Anyway...

"... The recent increased knowledge on the functions, mechanisms and abnormalities of intestinal permeability and the specific relationship between some common food additives and their deleterious effects on the tight-junction, prompted us to review these observations and put forward the hypothesis that increased intestinal permeability induced by the industrial food additives explains the observed surge in autoimmune disease."

So it's a hypothesis. I would agree it's worth studying and testing. Teaching it as if it's proven and blaming everything on it when there's no evidence in many cases of a so-called "leaky gut" is a problem.

It's also worth noting that the hypothesis looks at foods that are in the diet in greater than prior amounts over the past 30 years, and as such is really general. You'd have to see which of these contributed to so called leaky gut even if it proved to be real (which again this does not support). The foods (and additives or substances one might be exposed to) focused on are: sugar, salts, emulsifiers, organic solvents, gluten (again, I am skeptical of this one for the reasons set forth above), and various other things.

The article then goes through how these items might operate to increase intestinal permeability -- not the same thing as saying autoimmune diseases are caused by "leaky gut" or even that there IS increased intestinal permeability in a particular case. I'd have more respect if the claim was limited to situations where that being a problem was actually diagnosed, which would be a question for a real doctor.

But does it make sense to formulate and test a hypothesis? Sure. The problem is claiming that that means it has been proven or even is particularly likely to be the answer. It's a maybe something worth looking into, which is great for scientists, not great for "holistic practitioners" who pretend to diagnose it and who prescribe a diet based on false pretenses (many different diets, indeed).

And again I think saying "sometimes this helps" is also great, and I'd try an elimination diet if suffering. But asserting false pretenses/more than is known, and teaching things as fact that are not is exactly the problem with what OP is being taught and some such practioners do (often with false tests that find all kinds of things that no real tests would, like parasites and adrenal fatigue and so on, as mentioned above).
    Some Holistic stuff I see is garbage. Dr Axe was telling people that everything can be cured through Bone Broth. If bone broth isn't organic, from the research I've seen, it contains massive amounts of Round-Up (there's a glycine, glyphosate displacement that occurs and glyphosate, the active ingredient in Round-Up actually becomes part of the structure according to the theory by Anthony Samsel, which is strongly supported by science studies -- yes, actual studies in very reputable science journals). Dr Axe didn't mention he was pushing non-organic bone broth for around a year. That can do more harm than good.

Organic or no, bone broth doesn't CURE anything. It's tasty as an addition to foods. That's precisely the kind of issue I see. Trying dietary changes I think makes sense if you have an illness that might be helped by it, but claiming "cutting out gluten" or "eating only organic" or "cutting out meat" cures whatever long list of diseases (just like the similar "carbs cause illness, so going low carb fixes all diseases" that you get from a different list of practioners -- and not sure which group OP was following -- IS a problem. Diet changes absolutely help some people. I mentioned above that weight loss is often helpful, that my dad (and others) improved his cholesterol from a dietary change, diet changes help with IR/T2D, high blood pressure, so on. Can they help with some autoimmune diseases? I'm sure. I don't even consider this something separate from real medicine, as I'd hope doctors would suggest looking for allergies and other food issues and how diet contributes to health.

My problem with so called holistic practioners is using fake tests to "diagnose" fake illnesses (that the tests do not diagnose) and then pretending like there's a clear cut solution based on a specific diet or supplement or whatever. Often it probably does a little something -- hope helps, placebo effect is real, etc., and maybe you sometimes do end up eating better or eliminating a food that was bad for you specifically, and that's a nice side effect, but it doesn't make what is essentially misleading people okay. Nor spreading woo and contributing to people mistrusting medicine, refusing vaccinations, etc.

I would NOT consider physical therapy "alternative medicine," and no PT I've met would either. (I was prescribed PT by my doctor, and know many others who were.)

It sounds like you are not, what I term, an "absolutist". That's a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy half the stuff I read on Holistic sites. I suppose I'm different (not by choice) in not believing everything I read in Conventional Journals either.

I was more in your camp until my wife got sick. I'm more open minded now simply because we didn't have any solutions from conventional meds/conventional docs. We tried that for over a year and I ran out of patience.

I also believe in vaccines. I'm certainly not an anti-vaccine person. But I've seen enough with vaccines, too, to think there's some element of truth to what some anti-vaccine people are saying. Believe it or not, not all are crazy whackos. No one seems to want to get the full truth anymore. I personally believe that some people (probably those with MTHFR genetic defects) react more negatively than others to vaccines. What (I think) we'll find out is if they just made sure that those with that defect took methyl b vitamins prior to vaccination, it would be more safe for all taking vaccines.

I don't think they know nearly enough about gut permeability (yet) to come to a conclusive way to treat it. More than gut permeability (or leaky gut), I think that they'll find more solutions with changing the gut microbiome (a completely separate issue) for changing modern medicine. That's where what most would have considered Holistic medicine 10 years ago is meeting Traditional medicine. Large drug makers are addressing the underlying causes instead of just the symptoms. Progress will be slow until projects like the Human Microbiome study are more complete.

I just wish that more traditional medicine embraced things that potentially could help people, like DNA testing. When 23andme came out, the medical community was dead set against it. It's turning out that some of the research based on this genetic testing has already helped with some new innovations/therapies.

Both Holistic MDs that have treated my wife's Fibromyalgia, as kids or young adults, had unexplainable Chronic Pain. They were both told it was "all in your head". Until five or six years ago, Fibro patients were considered my most conventional docs to be psychiatric patients. Perhaps this is where some of the anger I have comes from for the establishment. The arrogance of conventional doctors is at a crazy level. A company has produced a test for Fibromyalgia called the FM/a test. It was a test that was created by a researcher that was actually trying to prove that the biomarkers for Fibromyalgia weren't unique. He was shocked and found a very distinct pattern that proves that Fibro patients have a very unique pattern of Cytokines (I'm not a scientist so I hope I'm accurate on that, though I'm sure I'll be personally attacked on this). Now, nearly every doctor recognizes Fibro as a legit diagnosis but just doesn't know how to treat it. It took a decade to reach this point. That's too long for some. Yes, I'll take some hypothesis as hope and run with it. Guilty! But it beats the alternative watching a loved one die in front of you. So far, the hypotheses that I've ran with have worked. That's proof enough for me and allows me to brush off any criticism I might hear on a weight loss board.

I agree with you that PT is not alternative medicine. That's a prime example, though, of what I'm saying about changing times. Quackwatch (a site often supported by Sciencebasedmedicine.org) once called all of Chiropractic quackery. I certainly don't agree with that. Until people question what's being put out there (and what's their vested interest in things), no real progress will be made.

Traditional medicine has already implemented treatments/screening based on DNA results, so I'm not sure how you have reached the conclusion that the medical community is "dead set against it." Look at breast cancer screening and treatment, for example (I'm sure there are other areas as well -- this is just one that I've read about recently).
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I agree with you that PT is not alternative medicine. That's a prime example, though, of what I'm saying about changing times. Quackwatch (a site often supported by Sciencebasedmedicine.org) once called all of Chiropractic quackery. I certainly don't agree with that. Until people question what's being put out there (and what's their vested interest in things), no real progress will be made.

Physiotherapy is not an offshoot of Chiropracty. I once had my shoulders done by a highly competent Chiropractor and his body knowledge was impressive. Unfortunately, I still have problems with the accreditation process. It's too loose, and practitioners can hold a wide variety of practices.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I just wish that more traditional medicine embraced things that potentially could help people, like DNA testing. When 23andme came out, the medical community was dead set against it. It's turning out that some of the research based on this genetic testing has already helped with some new innovations/therapies.

As I understand it, the medical community was against people getting DNA information about heightened risk for certain scary diseases (or less risk) on your own, without medical advice explaining what it means and, in many cases, that it is not a death sentence (slightly higher risk of Alzheimers does not mean "I might as well stop bothering, as I am getting Alzheimers"). I think this makes sense.

I also believe (as janejellyroll pointed out) that DNA screens are used for various things. In other cases, they may not be necessary -- I am at heightened risk of hemochromatosis, as my mother has it, but rather than testing for it they can just test for iron, which they do.

Most things DNA doesn't help much with yet, although it is interesting. I've had a DNA test (for family history) and did some of the medical type screens because I was curious, and it told me some things I already knew (not lactose intolerant) but mostly just somewhat different risk levels or "this gene is thought to be one of various related to this."

Amusingly, one of the things you can do with DNA tests is have it predict your eye color. The prediction for mine was a light-ish blue that looked like my dad's eyes. But mine are green. ;-) It's all quite complex, and that's without getting into something that has a variety of other inputs too (as with things like tendency to gain weight, addiction, etc).

Even before our more recent DNA testing was available, the medical community had already embraced types of genetic screening/counseling when it was relevant (like for Tay-Sachs disease). I've never read about the medical community being resistant to this type of information, just recommending caution when it comes to being overly reductionist or using results without placing them in an appropriate context (like in your example about Alzheimers).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks for attempting to answer the question. This is what I get from the article:

"The incidence of autoimmune diseases (AD) is increasing world-wide, mainly in western countries and the role of the environment in AD development is gradually becoming clear."

My note: is this certain, or is it just diagnosed more? Some of the alleged culprits, of course, such as gluten, have been in the human diet for a very long time and were a much more significant portion of the diet in the past, at least for some places and groups. The article focuses just on the past 30 years, which seems inconsistent with many of the proposed causes of this supposed leaking problem. Anyway...

"... The recent increased knowledge on the functions, mechanisms and abnormalities of intestinal permeability and the specific relationship between some common food additives and their deleterious effects on the tight-junction, prompted us to review these observations and put forward the hypothesis that increased intestinal permeability induced by the industrial food additives explains the observed surge in autoimmune disease."

So it's a hypothesis. I would agree it's worth studying and testing. Teaching it as if it's proven and blaming everything on it when there's no evidence in many cases of a so-called "leaky gut" is a problem.

It's also worth noting that the hypothesis looks at foods that are in the diet in greater than prior amounts over the past 30 years, and as such is really general. You'd have to see which of these contributed to so called leaky gut even if it proved to be real (which again this does not support). The foods (and additives or substances one might be exposed to) focused on are: sugar, salts, emulsifiers, organic solvents, gluten (again, I am skeptical of this one for the reasons set forth above), and various other things.

The article then goes through how these items might operate to increase intestinal permeability -- not the same thing as saying autoimmune diseases are caused by "leaky gut" or even that there IS increased intestinal permeability in a particular case. I'd have more respect if the claim was limited to situations where that being a problem was actually diagnosed, which would be a question for a real doctor.

But does it make sense to formulate and test a hypothesis? Sure. The problem is claiming that that means it has been proven or even is particularly likely to be the answer. It's a maybe something worth looking into, which is great for scientists, not great for "holistic practitioners" who pretend to diagnose it and who prescribe a diet based on false pretenses (many different diets, indeed).

And again I think saying "sometimes this helps" is also great, and I'd try an elimination diet if suffering. But asserting false pretenses/more than is known, and teaching things as fact that are not is exactly the problem with what OP is being taught and some such practioners do (often with false tests that find all kinds of things that no real tests would, like parasites and adrenal fatigue and so on, as mentioned above).
    Some Holistic stuff I see is garbage. Dr Axe was telling people that everything can be cured through Bone Broth. If bone broth isn't organic, from the research I've seen, it contains massive amounts of Round-Up (there's a glycine, glyphosate displacement that occurs and glyphosate, the active ingredient in Round-Up actually becomes part of the structure according to the theory by Anthony Samsel, which is strongly supported by science studies -- yes, actual studies in very reputable science journals). Dr Axe didn't mention he was pushing non-organic bone broth for around a year. That can do more harm than good.

Organic or no, bone broth doesn't CURE anything. It's tasty as an addition to foods. That's precisely the kind of issue I see. Trying dietary changes I think makes sense if you have an illness that might be helped by it, but claiming "cutting out gluten" or "eating only organic" or "cutting out meat" cures whatever long list of diseases (just like the similar "carbs cause illness, so going low carb fixes all diseases" that you get from a different list of practioners -- and not sure which group OP was following -- IS a problem. Diet changes absolutely help some people. I mentioned above that weight loss is often helpful, that my dad (and others) improved his cholesterol from a dietary change, diet changes help with IR/T2D, high blood pressure, so on. Can they help with some autoimmune diseases? I'm sure. I don't even consider this something separate from real medicine, as I'd hope doctors would suggest looking for allergies and other food issues and how diet contributes to health.

My problem with so called holistic practioners is using fake tests to "diagnose" fake illnesses (that the tests do not diagnose) and then pretending like there's a clear cut solution based on a specific diet or supplement or whatever. Often it probably does a little something -- hope helps, placebo effect is real, etc., and maybe you sometimes do end up eating better or eliminating a food that was bad for you specifically, and that's a nice side effect, but it doesn't make what is essentially misleading people okay. Nor spreading woo and contributing to people mistrusting medicine, refusing vaccinations, etc.

I would NOT consider physical therapy "alternative medicine," and no PT I've met would either. (I was prescribed PT by my doctor, and know many others who were.)

It sounds like you are not, what I term, an "absolutist". That's a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I don't buy half the stuff I read on Holistic sites. I suppose I'm different (not by choice) in not believing everything I read in Conventional Journals either.

I was more in your camp until my wife got sick. I'm more open minded now simply because we didn't have any solutions from conventional meds/conventional docs. We tried that for over a year and I ran out of patience.

I also believe in vaccines. I'm certainly not an anti-vaccine person. But I've seen enough with vaccines, too, to think there's some element of truth to what some anti-vaccine people are saying. Believe it or not, not all are crazy whackos. No one seems to want to get the full truth anymore. I personally believe that some people (probably those with MTHFR genetic defects) react more negatively than others to vaccines. What (I think) we'll find out is if they just made sure that those with that defect took methyl b vitamins prior to vaccination, it would be more safe for all taking vaccines.

I don't think they know nearly enough about gut permeability (yet) to come to a conclusive way to treat it. More than gut permeability (or leaky gut), I think that they'll find more solutions with changing the gut microbiome (a completely separate issue) for changing modern medicine. That's where what most would have considered Holistic medicine 10 years ago is meeting Traditional medicine. Large drug makers are addressing the underlying causes instead of just the symptoms. Progress will be slow until projects like the Human Microbiome study are more complete.

Both Holistic MDs that have treated my wife's Fibromyalgia, as kids or young adults, had unexplainable Chronic Pain. They were both told it was "all in your head". Until five or six years ago, Fibro patients were considered my most conventional docs to be psychiatric patients. Perhaps this is where some of the anger I have comes from for the establishment. The arrogance of conventional doctors is at a crazy level. A company has produced a test for Fibromyalgia called the FM/a test. It was a test that was created by a researcher that was actually trying to prove that the biomarkers for Fibromyalgia weren't unique. He was shocked and found a very distinct pattern that proves that Fibro patients have a very unique pattern of Cytokines (I'm not a scientist so I hope I'm accurate on that, though I'm sure I'll be personally attacked on this). Now, nearly every doctor recognizes Fibro as a legit diagnosis but just doesn't know how to treat it. It took a decade to reach this point. That's too long for some. Yes, I'll take some hypothesis as hope and run with it. Guilty! But it beats the alternative watching a loved one die in front of you. So far, the hypotheses that I've ran with have worked. That's proof enough for me and allows me to brush off any criticism I might hear on a weight loss board.

Traditional medicine has already implemented treatments/screening based on DNA results, so I'm not sure how you have reached the conclusion that the medical community is "dead set against it." Look at breast cancer screening and treatment, for example (I'm sure there are other areas as well -- this is just one that I've read about recently).

Yes, I'm confused by this assertion. My son got DNA screening for celiac disease (since I have it) when he had his IBS diagnosed. We found out then that apparently either my husband or I carries the gene for Crohn's disease since my son has the gene but it's not active.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes, I'm confused by this assertion. My son got DNA screening for celiac disease when he had his IBS diagnosed. We found out then that apparently either my husband or I carries the gene for Crohn's disease since my son has the gene but it's not active.

Yep - I knew there had to be other instances that I was familiar with yet.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Maybe the idea that the medical community is "dead set against" genetic testing comes from this:

https://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/genomics.html

I can think of a few genetic tests that absolutely make a difference. The need for the test however, is determined from family history.

The BRCA 1 and 2 gene
    . Men don't need this test.

Cystic Fibrosis.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

As I understand it, the medical community was against people getting DNA information about heightened risk for certain scary diseases (or less risk) on your own, without medical advice explaining what it means and, in many cases, that it is not a death sentence (slightly higher risk of Alzheimers does not mean "I might as well stop bothering, as I am getting Alzheimers"). I think this makes sense.

I also believe (as janejellyroll pointed out) that DNA screens are used for various things. In other cases, they may not be necessary -- I am at heightened risk of hemochromatosis, as my mother has it, but rather than testing for it they can just test for iron, which they do.

Most things DNA doesn't help much with yet, although it is interesting. I've had a DNA test (for family history) and did some of the medical type screens because I was curious, and it told me some things I already knew (not lactose intolerant) but mostly just somewhat different risk levels or "this gene is thought to be one of various related to this."

Amusingly, one of the things you can do with DNA tests is have it predict your eye color. The prediction for mine was a light-ish blue that looked like my dad's eyes. But mine are green. ;-) It's all quite complex, and that's without getting into something that has a variety of other inputs too (as with things like tendency to gain weight, addiction, etc).

The DNA analysis told me mostly stuff I already knew - that my mom is in no way lactose intolerant despite her claims (after reading the results she finally admitted that she just hates milk, after 80 years of lying about it!), that we carry genes associated with heart disease and obesity, etc.

It's interesting that I also have green eyes and the prediction also missed them, and thought my eyes looked like my blue eyed mother's. I wish I had gotten my dad's DNA before he died - his were like mine but with enough brown to be more hazel than green. It seems that one of the genes they have yet to identify is the one that makes your eyes and mine green!
This discussion has been closed.