Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm confused on how being skeptical of holistic practitioners = CICO fundamentalists. They are two unrelated concepts.

My argument is about two things:
    The pursuit of knowledge and the inhibitors on this forum of those who try to learn.
    I don't support zealots, or snake oil merchants and I don't support shouty people.
    The OP may start on one path towards knowledge and may realise that she goes on to study real science.
    Good and great!
    I bet the ancient CICO-style, fixed opinion ancient ones were the same ones who offered hemlock to Socrates and screamed at Galileo to put downed his god-less telescope!

CICO is immutable. There is no argument against it. There is no study that shows someone eating less than they burn and gaining weight nor any study that shows someone eating more than they burn and losing weight. But it just sounds like you're trolling at this point, because no one is this far gone from reality.

The human endocrine system is way too complex for CICO to be the final determinant of the weight loss question.
    In a perfect human machine CICO is correct - if it only has one energy variable.
    I have lots of variables...so do you.
    Science has progressed very well without your simplistic, flat-earth-CICO contribution.
    Support those who need more than what you offer as 'advice'.
    Or, stop being a hindrance to honest and curious enquiry.
    Please.

Present the evidence.
    Still waiting for these magical humans who can bend space and time to create and destroy energy.
    Again present the evidence.
    Everything is "variable", it doesn't negate the energy in and energy out balance that ALWAYS occurs
    Again, endocrine system, hormones etc do not create energy from nothing, if it did humans would be harvested or the hormones would be produced in a lab to power the world
    It is ok to admit you ate too much
    Saying CICO isn't valid doesn't absolve you of accountability, though it is a "convenient" crutch

Hi,
    There are too many good people on this forum who struggle.
    You present a dogmatic, unhelpful, catch-all answer and demand evidence.
    My N+1 is this:
    Excess cholestorol...naturally occurring...statins must be taken...resulting muscle weakness prevents exercise...liver overworks to negate chemicals...kidneys overwork as well.
    Human pysiology does not conform to machine-like inputs.
    We are way too complex.
    CICO is not my sole answer.
    You are negative and lack empathy.
    And...not a scientist but as religiously dogmatic as the Mormons.
    Your turn.
    Doh.

Answered in the new thread about CICO.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    gpokerlund wrote: »
    Leaky gut is legit! People who dont believe it are ignorant or not educated enough to understand the impact our gut flora has on our overall health.

Most ironic post I've read this morning.
This discussion has been closed.