American must-try foods?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    In Hollywood? I guess you need to eat some In 'n Out burger. Those Californians love their In 'n Out burger.

That's what I was going to say. Isn't In-N-Out a requirement? (Not a fan, personally.)
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I love the idea of living off nothing but tacos! :D

Will check out In 'n Out Burger for sure, and will definitely get some Mexican and BBQ. I'm going with my boyfriend who is totally not adventurous when it comes to food, but fortunately he loves Mexican and all things meat so that works out quite well!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited October 2017
    https://spoonuniversity.com/place/la-foods-that-are-must-trys

I wouldn't classify most of these things as typical "American", but LA is kinda quirky. Too bad you can't travel around a bit...the US is large and food cultures vary considerably by region...
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    for a nice meal out, check out a Chart House. These are really nice seafood places, right on the coast. Every one I have been to was beautiful and had great food.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    If you go to In-N-Out, be sure to order the animal fries. It's not on their regular menu boards, but In-N-Out also has an unlisted "secret" menu.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    The cool think about LA is that you can experience so many ethnicities in one area.
    For the LA institutions, do try In-n-Out, then also you can head down to Pink's for a hot dog (mediocre, but an LA landmark). Tacos all around as mentioned above.. Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles (hit the original on Gower) is fun, if you are near downtown, get a danger dog (hot dog with peppers and onions, cooked on a sheet pan in a little cart) and the Mexican corn. French dip at Phillipe's... but really, there are so many great options I'd ask someone at your hotel for their recommendations.

you can also head to Little Ethiopia, Little Persia, Little India, Japantown, K-town, etc and get a wonderful sampling of those cuisines. I loved living in LA because it was such a fun melting pot.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited October 2017
    The following are 3 "only in LA" go-to spots for distinctly "American" food:

1) Pink's hot dogs

http://pinkshollywood.com/mobile/

2) Langer's #9 pastrami sandwich

http://www.langersdeli.com/

3) Phillipe's "French" dipped roast beef sandwich

https://www.philippes.com/

4) "In and Out" burgers is not only available in LA but it's uniquely American. It's a chain. One reportedly opened to mobs in London last year. Not sure about Scotland.

If you haven' t been to one yet, check it out in LA and look up their "secret menu" here:

http://hackthemenu.com/in-n-out/secret-menu/

You be considered an insider if you order from it.

5) Guelaguetza isn't American - it's Oaxacan - but it's considered one of the best Mexican restaurants in LA.

Authentic moles (sauces) made from dozens of ingredients are their specialty. You've also gotta try their Michelada (a spicy beer concoction) unique to Mexico.

http://www.ilovemole.com/

It's located in Koreatown where you can also find dozens of Korean places to eat.

There many other Asian, Latino and other ethic eateries in LA (too many to mention really) but (w/the exception of In-N-Out) the places mentioned above should be on any tourist's list of eateries to try in LA.

Enjoy!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I had to ask Google about In n Out in London and they only did a 4 hours pop up, nothing saying if they might make it permanent. We do have Five Guys now though all over the country.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Each town will have it's own "food identity". I wouldn't say food is "American". I live in the Mid West (Ohio). It's quite a bit different than California.

My grandparents lived near Manchester, UK when I was growing up and when I visited I missed American Cheeseburgers (British meat tastes different).

If I was going to LA I'd try and find a Spanish/Mexican inspired restaurant and try that kind of food (Since I'm thinking that's pretty limited in the UK and it's also limited in the Midwest).

Any chance you could drop a few sausage rolls out of the plan when passing over Ohio? LOL I haven't been to the UK since 2001 and miss them greatly!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    In LA, another vote for fish tacos and also add the Mexican dish pozole to the list (hominy stew with a whole bunch of add-ons you can put in to your taste - typically available in white and red versions). Cobb Salad is a southern CA invention, and one of my favorite salads (not low calorie, though - bacon, avocado, eggs, blue cheese and other things).
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    I am a Hoosier so I offer the requisite tenderloin and sugar cream pie suggestions.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Although there are wonderful regional dishes throughout the country, one truly nation-wide favorite is peanut butter and grape jelly on white bread. You can gild the lily by using freshly ground peanut butter, a different jelly, and artisan or whole grain bread but even the original is a wonder to behold.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    I second peanut butter and grape jelly. On white wonder bread- that is a commonly known childhood food for a lot of us. So was Kraft macaroni and cheese- boxed meal, with an added cheese powder.

These aren’t ‘good’ really, but they are so common for kids here that it is a kind of cultural bonding experience. :-)

I would try rootbeer- A&W brand. And a rootbeer float, Just for kicks- most folks from the UK I know do not like it. It tastes like a specific medicine over there, I understand, but it is well liked here, especially the floats!

I would try some chinese food and Indian food, too- different flavor focus than in the UK so it is an interesting contrast.

If you can find some authentic creole or cajun place I would try gumbo or red beans and rice.

Southern fried chicken and cornbread would be a fun one too.

American pizza that has canadian bacon/ham and pineapple, or hershey’s chocolate, or malted milk shakes are also common here and a little different.

Some good authentic mexican food is great. If you can find traditional california style mexican food and then new mexico Mexican food, that will double the yum- they developed differently, with some different ingredients, due to different colonization patterns way back when. Hatch brand green chile is a good one to try and cook with- it is chile grown in hatch, new mexico and rather classic.

Oh- nachos. Definitely check out some good nachos.

Turkey with stuffing, which you may be able to get this time of year. It is a staple of the thanksgiving holiday in November.

Hamburgers- the toppings are a bit different as I recall

Baked or fried sweet potato dishes- also common thanskgiving fair.

Blackened catfish is a cajun dish, I believe, that could be fun.

Oh, new england clam chowder might be fun too.

And, hmmm, oyster stew- this is a common new year celebration food for a lot of folks here- it developed originally from an Irish celebratory dish, altered to fit US ingredients when immigrants moved here.

For ideas, if you look up regional american cuisine you will likely find some awesome ideas- california is kind of thbmelting pot of the US in a lot of ways, so you can almsot always find a restaurant from any region in the US if you look hard enough. :-) so good for foodies!

I am not from the UK but my mother is so I’ve heard a lot of her opinions about food her. :-)

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Oh, also for any desserts that are common here- red velvet cake, pumpkin pie, chocolate chip cookies, baskin robbins ice cream or any kind of ice cream, really, on a cone. Angel food cake with sweetened whip cream and chopped strawberries. Those are some that come to mind anyway. :-)
  • Speziface
    Speziface Posts: 1,687 Member
    Hit up a Waffle House, especially if it's 2 in the morning and you need some time and place to sober up.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Anon2018 wrote: »
    Omg, do NOT get halo top on your vacation! Halo top is "OK" at best. Treat yourself to real food.

Yeah, I'd skip the Halo Top...it's coming to the UK anyway. I guess it's ok if you really have a thing for "ice cream" and need a diet version...personally, I'll take the real deal on occasion. I don't eat enough ice cream to need some diet version.

I've tried it, and I don't really get the hoopla... Give me some Ben and Jerry's.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    It appears the topic's opening up to food all over the country, not just in southern California. OK, then, the best thing I've ever eaten is the low-country South Carolina dish, Shrimp and Grits. Here in Chicago, we have Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, Chicken Vesuvio, deep dish pizza, and pepper and egg sandwiches. In Iowa, there's pork tenderloin sandwiches and loose-meat sandwiches. In Maine you have lobster rolls. To the OP: many many regional delights in the U.S. besides those you'll find in California.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I’m from the UK and over the past 15 years have been visiting the US a couple of times a year with the idea of work my way round all 50 states. In November it’s Texas. In May it was north and South Dakota.

From what I remember of California - try the Cheesecake Factory, Panera Bread and Cinnabon’s. I also go crazy for Orange Chicken or General Tsaos from food mall Chinese. Oooo and an Orange Julius or Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

Avoid US chocolates except for really high end luxury stuff. Nothing like Cadbury’s. Uck.

PM me if you have any questions