WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR NOVEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    FeliciA-glad you are home safe and sound. So sorry that your sister passed while you were away.
    Carol- maybe call AT&T if they are the ones who made the mess. Good luck.
    Penny and Becca you guys crack me up. When we lived in England there were so many things I didn't know the meaning of like rasher for bacon and cotton for thread.
    Chris- so glad you are posting again.
    Mary. - I did the update on my IPad and now I can comment on the newsfeed. Missed up a lot of other things but at least I can comment.
    SueBDew in TX
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,098 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    myraknits wrote: »
    I'm so glad I found you all! What a lovely group! Looking forward to getting to know you better and thanks for the warm welcome. Almost through week 1 and I'm definitely hungry. I just keep reminding myself I did it before. I'm guessing it might take longer now that I'm a little older. Just wondering how much you all exercise? I take a brisk walk with the dog for 30 minutes a day but not a lot more... A little bit of yoga. Just wondering if I need to push it a little more.

:) When I started on MFP, I made a decision to seek every opportunity to be active so I have gradually increased my activity. Now I walk my dogs for 40 minutes before breakfast, 90 minutes after, and several 10 minute walks during the day. I go to three 2 hour line dance classes each week and ride the recumbent exercise bike that's in the middle of the living room while I knit and watch TV. I do strength training 2-3 times a week for bone density health. I didn't start like this, I just added a bit more each day over time and now it's a regular part of my life.

<3 Barbie in chilly NW Washington

I also break it up throughout the day.

I walk as part of my commute.
    I walk at lunch.
    I climb flights and flights of stairs on breaks at work.
    I walk or cycle with my husband after work.
    I might also lift weights after work.
    And we cycle or occasionally hike (or canoe ... although we haven't done that recently) on the weekends.

When I am attending university, we often go to a spinning class at the university gym early in the evenings one day each week.

Sometimes, if the weather is poor, we'll go to the university gym to run on the treadmill or row.

Now that slightly warmer weather is here, I'm even thinking about running at lunch or after work ... my after work idea is to run the length of the beach and back. I have done that a couple times, but it would probably be beneficial to do it more.

Machka in Oz
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tbecca you are so funny. You have many stories to tell your grand kids.

Carol, sorry about the spongy yard. Your assessment sounds right though. Have you heard from Leniras sister lately?

Fell again today. We were checking out the solution Charlie had put on the porch and side walk for me to get out tif he house without him he,ping me. I got out of the house to the porch but when I stepped down to what he pt on the sidewalk to help, I fell back on to the porch. There was a time that our faucet on the porch had a slow leak and Charlie put a styrafoam box under it to catch the water, looked tacky but did the job. Well my head appreciated it today. Without it my head would have hit the concrete or the brick wall. We know our home needs a riling up to the porch with his Parkindons so we are goin to try to get it ASAP now.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    I do well at logging in our expenses, not so good at logging in what I'm eating, althought lately I've been using Fitday to see how much calcium I'm getting- MFP doesn't appear have enough columns to add that, unfortunately. I hadn't paid much attention to calcium intake before I had my DXA scan last month (bad me, I know) but now am paying better attention. Trying to get as much from food intake as possible, I think I read somewhere that excess calcium can contribute to kidney stones? Yikes, been there-done that. :s Need to make sure I drink plenty of water.

It depends on the kidney stone. Mine are not calcium based, so they don't show up in ultrasounds ... they only show up in CT-scans.

The first I knew that my kidneys have a number of stones rattling around in there was when I got a big one lodged on the way out back in 2009. BIG OUCH. I had to have it surgically removed.

Since then, I make sure to drink lots of water and any time I get a bit dehydrated, my kidneys hurt which reminds me pretty quick to have another glass of water.

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,873 Member
    Options
    Hello all: Got my truck in to get a tire checked. It was slowly losing air. They replaced the valve stem. Yay for trucks that are fixed up and running again. While the tire was being fixed DH and I did some errands and a little Christmas shopping. My DGD requested some fabric and yarn so she is getting a Ben Franklin gift card to pick out some she likes. I also bought a new hall tree that was on sale. It has an umbrella stand incorporated in it. Nice thing to have here in the Pacific Northwest. It will fit nicely in a corner near the front door and I hope it will eliminate coats hanging on chairs. My DH is very fond of leaving his on the dining room chair.

Welcome to the newbies!!

Felicia - Glad you had a good trip. Sorry for your loss.

Chris - Yay for getting rid of the bad boss and getting a raise. Glad things are looking up.

Peach - Hope your water woes get fixed soonest.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have been in recovery mode myself, after my half marathon and today I am beginning to feel like myself again. Now I have to start thinking about the next challenge I will set for myself to work towards. I am always trying to make life interesting and different as I get bored easily, so I am thinking about doing a hike called The Tongariro Crossing. It is just a one day hike but you have to organize a car to pick you up at the end and take you back to your own vehicle. A lot of overseas visitors to NZ do it, and the trailhead is only about an hour and a half drive from my house but I've never done it, so shame on me. I think I need to knock this one off the bucket list.

I would like to do all the Great Hikes around NZ. I think there are 9. I've done one already called The Abel Tasman. I've got lots of other goals for this summer as well. Summer starts Dec 1 here! YAYE.

So there, I have posted my December goals early, LOL. Good to be ahead of the game. <3 Wendy

Sounds great!! Tasmania also has a list of hikes, and my husband and I have been doing this one and that one from time to time.

60 Great Short Walks ... in Tasmania. We've done quite a few of these.
    http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=1315

These are the long, multiday hikes ... and we've done part of one, but that's it.
    http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/indeX.aspX?base=1235

This site also lists a bunch of hiking and cycling trails in the Greater Hobart area, and we've done quite a few of them.
    https://www.greaterhobarttrails.com.au/

BTW - NZ also has a number of cycling trails. I have "liked" each of them (that I know of) on FB and get updates about the trails, and some gorgeous pictures of the trails and scenery, on a regular basis. One day, we'd like to come over to NZ and get out on a trail or two.

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I do well at logging in our expenses, not so good at logging in what I'm eating, althought lately I've been using Fitday to see how much calcium I'm getting- MFP doesn't appear have enough columns to add that, unfortunately. I hadn't paid much attention to calcium intake before I had my DXA scan last month (bad me, I know) but now am paying better attention. Trying to get as much from food intake as possible, I think I read somewhere that excess calcium can contribute to kidney stones? Yikes, been there-done that. :s Need to make sure I drink plenty of water.

It depends on the kidney stone. Mine are not calcium based, so they don't show up in ultrasounds ... they only show up in CT-scans.

The first I knew that my kidneys have a number of stones rattling around in there was when I got a big one lodged on the way out back in 2009. BIG OUCH. I had to have it surgically removed.

Since then, I make sure to drink lots of water and any time I get a bit dehydrated, my kidneys hurt which reminds me pretty quick to have another glass of water.

M in Oz

I passed my stone before I could capture it so no idea what it was composed of. That was the only time in my life I ever had a shot of Demerol. Doc said it was likely as big as a grain of sand.... felt like a boulder, lol.

Lanette
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,774 Member
    Options
    Felicia ... so very sorry ... losing someone over the holiday's seems more difficult somehow ... you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Joyce! ... get that railing ASAP!!

Allie ... I really do believe that a better job is out there for you ...

Lenora ... if you're reading, I'm thinking of you!

Lanette and Penny ... I had Pes Anserine Bursitis earlier in the year ... horrible pain that eventually lessened. Now to get the excess weight off of it so it's not constantly being tortured!

My weight has been stable and that's not a good thing I'm afraid. So logging and measuring ... exercise has been limited ... which is not to say that I've been inactive ...

Beth near Buffalo
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,401 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Tbecca you are so funny. You have many stories to tell your grand kids.

Carol, sorry about the spongy yard. Your assessment sounds right though. Have you heard from Leniras sister lately?

Fell again today. We were checking out the solution Charlie had put on the porch and side walk for me to get out tif he house without him he,ping me. I got out of the house to the porch but when I stepped down to what he pt on the sidewalk to help, I fell back on to the porch. There was a time that our faucet on the porch had a slow leak and Charlie put a styrafoam box under it to catch the water, looked tacky but did the job. Well my head appreciated it today. Without it my head would have hit the concrete or the brick wall. We know our home needs a riling up to the porch with his Parkindons so we are goin to try to get it ASAP now.

Joyce, Indiana

Joyce - I would feel a LOT better if you were using a cane or some kind of assistance when you walk. :# You'll be in a pickle if you break anything else. Thank goodness for that Styrofoam box!! Do you have someone lined up to get that porch railing done?

Lanette
  • Machka9
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Machka, of course you are hungry, this is the season when food is in your face everywhere! lol

Not here in Australia ... not like it was in Canada. We don't have Thanksgiving and Christmas is pretty much just the day.

In Canada, suppliers sent large trays of chocolates and nuts and things as a "Thank you" to the businesses I worked, and coworkers were busy baking and bringing in trays of cookies and squares and things. In Australia, there's none of that. I haven't laid eyes on a chocolate, a nut, or a crumb of Christmas baking yet this year at work ... and I won't until our work Christmas party on Friday the 22nd. In my first couple years in Australia, I tried to locate boxes of chocolates (not easy to find here -- there are no 13 flavours of Pot of Gold or anything here), but I finally did get something together and presented them to my coworkers. The reaction was extremely muted. A few took one to be polite, but most refused. It's just not something that's done here.

In Canada, there's all sorts of "Christmas food" right there in the entrance of just about every department store and supermarket. Here's there's some "Christmas food", but they kind of tuck it in a back corner. We actually went looking for mince tarts during our grocery shop on Sunday, and had to wander up and down a bit to find them. Come late November/early December, we have one mince tart a day, in the evenings ... that's our nod to Christmas food.

Even on TV, the only Christmas food ad I've seen is advertising ham for Christmas dinner ... and I do not like ham.

A little closer to Christmas, I'll make some of my grandmother's shortbread cookies and of course there will be a pavlova on Christmas Day. Plus my husband will likely boil a Christmas pudding for either Christmas Day or Boxing Day. And because Christmas is the time for cherries, I'll likely make a crumble or two during the week between Christmas and New Years. But that will be about it.

I was hungry because I could only eat 1600 calories yesterday, and I prefer something up around 1800 calories ... but I hadn't exercised enough for that.

I'm not sure how today will go because a few of my coworkers wanted to get together for a pre-Christmas lunch. It's something of a gourmet place, and I had a look at the menu ... just about nothing appeals to me, but I might go for what amounts to grilled chicken breast and stewed tomatoes. Unfortunately, I won't get much of a lunch-time walk in.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options

M in Oz

I passed my stone before I could capture it so no idea what it was composed of. That was the only time in my life I ever had a shot of Demerol. Doc said it was likely as big as a grain of sand.... felt like a boulder, lol.

Lanette

Good that you were able to pass it!

My large one was 10 mm by 4 mm (that's 0.4 inches by 0.15 inches) and it kind of wedged in sideways. The surgeon took one look at it and told me it would have to be removed.

M in Oz

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Becca you have great stories. Write them down if you haven’t already
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Joyce. Be careful and get that railing soon.

Beth, hang in there as the weight will go the other way soon.

Headed to bed and book.

Terry in VT
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    ((((Felicia))) :'(
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,663 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.05min, 143mhr, 11.1amph. 1.4mi= 79c
    apple watch- 65c
    ROWING MACHINE- 15min, 63aw, 101ahr, 111mhr, 2544meters= 86c
    apple watch- 194c
    *new* SKI MACHINE- 15min, 112ahr, 82spm, 111aw, 126mhr, 5.5k = 108c
    apple watch-
    0 RUNNER- 14min, 134mhr, 113ahr, 44al, 14ah, 80ac, 1.60mi= 100c
    apple watch
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6..04min, 130mhr, 14.1amph, 1.4mi= 52c
    apple watch- 46c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.28min, 145mhr, 11.8amph, 3mi= 143c
    apple watch- 107c
    jog sta 2 wk- 5.50min, 143mhr, 137ahr, 11.16min mi. .5mi= 61c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wk 2 sta-- 4.50in, 10.22min mi, 149mhr, .4mi = 65c
    apple watch - 55c
    ride dome 2 hm- 20.17min, 7.6amph, 151mhr, 2.5mi = 197c
    apple watch- 141c

total cal 901
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    langman22 wrote: »
    Becca you have great stories. Write them down if you haven’t already

Really? I haven't a clue on how to even start something so monumental! I would not have anyone read it, until I have passed! I'm afraid my family, will be horrified! I was confirmed a Lutheran,but my early adult years happened to be in the 1980's.
    My morals went out with my better judgement!
    Becca
    Writer extraordinaire in the making?
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

there are no 13 flavours of Pot of Gold or anything here),

We actually went looking for mince tarts during our grocery shop on Sunday,

of course there will be a pavlova on Christmas Day. Plus my husband will likely boil a Christmas pudding

Machka in Oz

Lots of stuff I don’t know!

Pot of gold?
    Mince tarts?
    Pavlova?

BOIL a pudding? I thought pudding was a desert?