Wife says I need psychological help !!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• bdeezy3396
    bdeezy3396 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ok, ok - I'll buy the pants already!!! I can afford them I'm just cheap that way - LOL

"I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible.
    I’m in this big *kitten* coat from that thrift shop down the road"
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The majority of adults in this country are overweight/obese so healthy does look unusual nowadays, bear in mind that your wife is right in saying you look thinner than a normal person. Just have a doctor take the two minutes they need to explain that "average" has shifted.
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    ok, ok - I'll buy the pants already!!! I can afford them I'm just cheap that way - LOL

I love that song, too! :bigsmile:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    BMI was created in the 1800's for 1800's man, do you use anything else created in the 1800's? Most likely not. If you believe the BMI Matt Damon, Brad Pitt and George Cloney are all overweight. For some people the BMI weight does look healthy for others it does not, it depends on your body frame.

Damon and Clooney are often overweight. Can find hundreds of pictures of fat Damon and fat Clooney. In their fit phases they are normal BMI. Brad Pitt is almost always normal BMI. He edged into "overweight" with Troy. If you look like Brad Pitt in Troy, you don't really need to worry about BMI categories.

So many people seem to think even slight muscularity leads automatically to "overweight". It does not. If you're BMI "overweight", you probably have a solid amount of fat. Exceptions are rare.

Anyhoo, the OP is on the right track.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for normal people, the gubmint (HHS, IPAB) will soon issue regulations that will limit treatment options based on BMI. The NIH is actually pushing the idea that the heart has to work harder to push blood through muscle than through fat.
    So while the real world knows that BMI is cacka, gubmint bureaucrats don't care. They demand a one-size-fits-all solution for everything. Equality of outcome is the mantra.
    Japan also has a one-size-fits-all rule. Companies are required to measure the waist lines of every employee. Employers are penalized for employees that measure over 85cm for men and 90cm for women. Employees are then subject to mandatory "reeducation."
    So don't, for a second, believe it can't happen here.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rely on bmi,it's a one size fita all chart. they tell athletic people who are nothing but muscle that they are obese because the have a high bmi!! its garbage.. you look like you have lost qiet a bit of weight already, I would start toning up, and that will most likely get you to the look you desire.
  • mbucchieri
    mbucchieri Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately for normal people, the gubmint (HHS, IPAB) will soon issue regulations that will limit treatment options based on BMI. The NIH is actually pushing the idea that the heart has to work harder to push blood through muscle than through fat.
    So while the real world knows that BMI is cacka, gubmint bureaucrats don't care. They demand a one-size-fits-all solution for everything. Equality of outcome is the mantra.
    Japan also has a one-size-fits-all rule. Companies are required to measure the waist lines of every employee. Employers are penalized for employees that measure over 85cm for men and 90cm for women. Employees are then subject to mandatory "reeducation."
    So don't, for a second, believe it can't happen here.

AGREED!!!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Buy the pants. If you do lose anymore weight, they'll serve you better than the massive ones you have now.

Your wife probably needs time to adjust to your new physique. Don't worry.

Oh, and I completely agree that, for the most part, BMI is BS.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

I just want to throw this argument into the mix: weight and image issues aside, if you buy the new pants, you'll notice it more if you ever start to go back in the opposite direction. Not to say that you will, but when you have clothes that fit your new body, if they start to get tight you notice a lot more quickly and adjust your food / activity accordingly.

I made the mistake of not doing this before. A while back I lost about 30 pounds and I didn't want to buy new clothes because I had another 20-30 pounds I wanted to lose...but then when my weight began to creep back up, I didn't notice because my "fat" clothes still fit and now I'm right back where I started...in my fat clothes...

Just a thought :)