Beyond Frustrated

Options
1235»

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Just a few points from your diary that I've found to be wildly off in my own experience...

Six Star Whey Protein + - Whey Protein +, 1 scoop 180
    Weigh that scoop! Is it a flat scoop, a heaped scoop, a scoop where the whey is packed tight etc. This could easily be close to 100 calories out from where you think it is.

Lebanese - Pea Stew With Meat and Carrots , 14 ounce 282
    Did you create this recipe entry yourself, or is it a vague approximation based on someone else's database entry? Use those with care, since I've found they can be WAY off. It's better to build your own, or at least eyeball a portion and go, ok, that looks like 40g of peas, 50g of carrots, 50g of chicken, 10g tomato paste, 1 stock cube, and a tablespoon of oil, and add it all individually. It's a bit of a faff initially, but gets easier with time.

Coffee
    Accurately measure what you have one time. Weigh the milk and log it. Weigh the sugar and log it. If it really does add up to 40 cals then fine, keep using a generic entry, but do at least check it out to make sure it's accurate for you. I use a generic entry for tea with milk, but since it's about 8 calories a cup, I'm ok with knowing it might be inaccurate.

So yeah. Try switching to grammes, weigh EVERYTHING, and log honestly. I think almost all of us have given ourselves that horrible surprise of just WHAT we were eating before we started logging accurately.

My logging isn't perfect (my diary is public - have at it), I eyeball low cal veg (after a long time of weighing), and I use a lot of packet entries without further weighing, BUT I'm achieving what I want so I acknowledge that my logging is a bit slack and know that I could tighten it up if I wanted or needed to.

Also, remember that by inaccurate logging, the only person you're actually cheating is yourself... :/
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Have you only been tracking since October 16?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

LeahV93 wrote: »
    Yesterday I had 450 calories remaining from the 1200 goal that mfp set for me - although I try to stay at about 1000. The day before that I had 521 calories remaining of the 1200. The day before that I had 362 remaining. Of course on days I don't exercise the deficit is closer to 100-200 calories. Even if I am not 100% accurate with my measurements I am still creating a huge deficit not to see any weight loss.

A 500 calorie burn per workout is not a conservative estimate it's a generous one, unless you're working out for a couple of hours. Many people under-estimate intake and over-estimate calorie burn--I sure did. What kind of workouts are you doing and for how long? What's your daily activity level like outside of exercise--how did you set it in MFP?

There are some miscalculations in there for you. If you were creating the deficit you think, you'd be losing weight.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    LeahV93 wrote: »

You think you cut calories. You didn't.

Thank you for your reply but I actually know I did. I was eating a lot more and more food with higher calories until I stopped doing that and I started counting what I ate. [/quote]

You're not as accurate as you need to be if you're using measuring cups and spoons for solid foods.
  • LeahV93
    LeahV93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Because you're petite and at a healthy weight already, you're probably not burning 500 calories during an hour-long kickboxing session. I would suggest sticking at the conservative end of the calorie estimate for calories burned--closer to 400 in an hour.

Looking at your diary, you have tracked dinners at 1 oz of cheese, or 0.13 cup of rice. 1 oz of cheese is the size of 2 dice. 0.13 of a cup of rice is 2 (measuring) tablespoons, or the size of a ping pong ball. Are you really eating that little?

Yes that’s right about 2 dice size for the cheese and rice is definitely that little. I don’t eat much.
  • LeahV93
    LeahV93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    ginababin wrote: »
    Have you only been tracking since October 16?

I pretty much eat the same food. In october i started putting it in mfp. But it’s pretty much the same before that.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    For your calorie burn during exercise maybe invest in a heart rate monitor instead of relying on your trainer. The bigger you are the more calories you burn doing the same activity, so your trainer could’ve pulled that number from an estimate of someone twice your size.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options

s363gz0n8jms.gif
    [/quote]

Is it sad that at the age of 31 to say I love The Road to El Dorado
  • DKLI
    DKLI Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Best advice I found on here is to weigh everything. You can pack a lot into a measuring cup and there's no way you can determine the calories in that, it could easily be 2 or 3 times the calories you think it is.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You don't burn 600 cals.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    On the workout burn front, it is true that the majority are unlikely to burn 500-600 calories in an hour workout, especially a kickboxing or other such class, but on the other hand, an intense workout without breaks can burn that much. Using a Polar Chest strap based Hrm, I burn between 600-700 calories doing intervals on the cross trainer and I am 123-126 Ibs, depending on the day. I have not gained eating those calories back (and no, these are not calories I purge, for the individual who continues to keep bringing up my current issues with ED relapse) so I presume it is pretty close and my experience was the same in the past too back in 2013/2014 when I trained a lot. Maybe I am just an outlier in that area, I do not know. But some people, maybe not many at my weight, can burn that much.

However, I agree that a trainer's word is really not adequate for any sort of accuracy. My old trainer claimed his classes burnt 1000 calories... yeah, right. Nothing is truly accurate when it comes to an idea of workout calorie burns which is why it is best to judge by results and err on the side of caution.
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I second the "you're not burning 500 calories" train. I used to be around your size (I have since gained 25 pounds), but when I attended workout classes the trainer would say "you're burning 500-750 calories easily!", probably doing the mental math for a larger woman or a man, but the time I wore a HR monitor I found I was only burning ~300. When I was 125 my dream weight was also 105-110, and I ate very little and exercised a lot and never got there. I let myself go a little and now I'd kill to be back there lol. I also recommend focusing on strength training to change body composition if your body is fighting you so badly on the weight loss. Maybe it's not meant to be, you know?

I also think you can get pretty damn close without measuring your food to the gram, but clearly that's a very controversial opinion. A scale has helped me but I only use it for calorie-dense foods (nuts, cheeses, some proteins, etc.). I'm not weighing individual pots of yogurt or packaged food like many posters.