#picture#photograph#groupies#selfy#celluloid
    by Future Sociologist November 27, 2013

also...

selfie
    A slang term for *kitten*.
    "Why were you in the bathroom for so long?"
    "Ah, I was just doing a selfie."
    "Yuck!"
    #*kitten*#spanking the monkey#jerking off#choking the chicken#digital penile oscillation
    by JackOLondon December 28, 2013

However, perhaps more conventionally...

Selfie
    Selfies are a style of photography wherein

1) the photographer's own face is included in the photograph,

2) and the camera is held by the photographer when the photo is taken.

Other optional elements are often associated with selfies. Use of a mirror is common, especially mirrors found in dirty, unphotogenic bathrooms. Bathrooms are a popular location for selfies since so many believe that the worse everything around them looks in the photo, the better they will appear by comparison.

Immediate upload of the photo to social media is also optional, but generally not recommended. By reviewing the photo on a large computer monitor one has a better chance to find and remove unintended, possibly embarrassing elements from the photo before others see it. Upload of the photo after reviewing it on a large screen is also not recommended, since most selfies suck anyway and are rarely actually worth sharing.

Having selfies be poor quality for other reasons (such as being out of focus or having motion blur due to using too slow a shutter speed in low light) is also a popular technique. Having the photo further ruined by application of bizarre and ugly filters and special effects, in order to try to conceal how poor quality the photo was in the first place, is also popular.

The term selfie is often misused. Selfies are a subgenre of self-photography. It is wrong to use "selfie" to refer to self-photographs in general.

The following methods of self-photography are NOT selfies:
    1. Photographing just one's own penis does not constitute a selfie. (Even if the camera is handheld, it doesn't qualify to be called a selfie unless the photographer's face is in the photo. Putting your other "head" in the photo doesn't count.)

2. Mounting the camera on a tripod, or resting it securely on a table, and using a timer to take the photo is not a selfie. (Camera must be held by the person for it to be a selfie.)

3. Using a throwable camera that automatically snaps at panoramic photo when at the top of the throw is not a selfie.

4. Dropping your camera on the ground and being lucky enough that instead of breaking it accidentally takes a photo of you is not a selfie.

5. Mounting your camera on a wild goat and having it take many photos while it charges at you is not a selfie.

Perhaps I should start a new thread for real selfies..."Photos of you, taken by you", which all too many are not :)
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    My rule is to take like at least 20-50 in a row so you can have a really hard time trying to decide which one is the least awful

I do the same lol.
  • CaptainFantastic00
    CaptainFantastic00 Posts: 4,619 Member
    Options
    My rule is to take like at least 20-50 in a row so you can have a really hard time trying to decide which one is the least awful

I do the same lol.

Naw, one and done
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

I do the same lol.

Naw, one and done

Not this guy. It takes more than a few shots to find one that doesn’t make me look like an extra from The Walking Dead.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I am so inspired by this thread
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    Options
    If I do a selfie where I make a goofy face, I don't have to worry about looking good.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    Corprina wrote: »
    f3sxbkz6ulch.jpg

me
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    Personally, I don’t really have a lot of rules with selfies.
    Basically, don’t lie. Don’t use someone else’s picture and claim it’s you. Don’t photoshop your face to oblivion and claim you didn’t. I think in this day and age photoshop is acceptable as long as you’re up front and honest about it.
  • bhadbahabi
    bhadbahabi Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    #1 Always face the light
    #2 angle at 3/4
    #3 relax your face muscles by making this sort of face before striking the final pose. https://media.tenor.com/images/1fbb6a903a8670517c97049b5b9ce927/tenor.gif1fb4zkrj76xn.gif

#4 smize https://media.giphy.com/media/mYxU6Cjbt2Scw/giphy.gifrnl6hl4dsjaf.gif
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    My favorite selfies are the ones where people are all, "here I am with no makeup" with impossibly smooth skin and inevitably, some internet sleuth comes along and zooms in on the pixels and declares that selfie "photoshopped" and they insist that it isn't and then rage quit.

Yeah, just keep it real. Some people do really look gorgeous with no makeup though.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    2i1rynyaaipu.jpg
  • StopTheGroundhog
    StopTheGroundhog Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    @SabAteNine please share with the people.

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sure I'll double some of the insights, but:
    • Selfies by a window work best, if not in direct sunlight - the light is even and filtered and you get a nice contrast between yourself and the darker room / background.
    • Direct sunlight means harsh shadows and squints. Nope.
    • Bathroom mirrors with peripheral lights are awesome and should be taken advantage of. They have the same effect as a ring flash on the eyes.
    • You will never ever look the same as you see yourself in the mirror when holding the camera exactly at the same angle. Never. Live with it.
    • Looking up, eye circles. Looking down, less eye circles. Or you can wear glasses like me and poof, eye circles gone.
    • Have a double chin? Try pushing your tongue (not the tip, the lower part) against the ceiling of your mouth. You can also pull the chin forward a bit.
    • Cell phone cameras have a wide angle. Which means that portraits get a bit elongated. A downward facing angle of the camera makes for a big forehead and set of eyes, which can be good or bad, depending on your preference. The elongation is smaller when holding the camera in landscape mode. You can crop it portrait later.
    • Also because of the wide, you can try playing with the perspective (e.g. bending towards the camera for a timer selfie gets you a bigger face and a tinier body :smiley:)
    • Don't hunch over, pull your arms away from your body so they're not squished there, if you have a „good side” or want to take a photo from the side, pull your chin out so it won't go derp.
    • Take 15-20, select one :smile:
    • Editing: A bit of color and contrast go a long way. I edit mine for color, shadows, sharpen and maybe a bit of pop - which is basically a high-radius unsharp mask (and enhances local contrast like for wrinkles so don't overdo it - in Google Photos. Because it is convenient since they upload automatically there. Personally I am not a fan of „beautifying” filters

I'll think about more stuff and come back.
  • bojack5
    bojack5 Posts: 2,859 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My favorite selfies are the ones where people are all, "here I am with no makeup" with impossibly smooth skin and inevitably, some internet sleuth comes along and zooms in on the pixels and declares that selfie "photoshopped" and they insist that it isn't and then rage quit.

Yeah, just keep it real. Some people do really look gorgeous with no makeup though.

I use minimal make up....
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    bojack5 wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »

I use minimal make up....
    😂😂😂😂
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    @SabAteNine please share with the people.

I haven't read the whole thread and I'm sure I'll double some of the insights, but:
    • Selfies by a window work best, if not in direct sunlight - the light is even and filtered and you get a nice contrast between yourself and the darker room / background.
    • Direct sunlight means harsh shadows and squints. Nope.
    • Bathroom mirrors with peripheral lights are awesome and should be taken advantage of. They have the same effect as a ring flash on the eyes.
    • You will never ever look the same as you see yourself in the mirror when holding the camera exactly at the same angle. Never. Live with it.
    • Looking up, eye circles. Looking down, less eye circles. Or you can wear glasses like me and poof, eye circles gone.
    • Have a double chin? Try pushing your tongue (not the tip, the lower part) against the ceiling of your mouth. You can also pull the chin forward a bit.
    • Cell phone cameras have a wide angle. Which means that portraits get a bit elongated. A downward facing angle of the camera makes for a big forehead and set of eyes, which can be good or bad, depending on your preference. The elongation is smaller when holding the camera in landscape mode. You can crop it portrait later.
    • Also because of the wide, you can try playing with the perspective (e.g. bending towards the camera for a timer selfie gets you a bigger face and a tinier body :smiley:)
    • Don't hunch over, pull your arms away from your body so they're not squished there, if you have a „good side” or want to take a photo from the side, pull your chin out so it won't go derp.
    • Take 15-20, select one :smile:
    • Editing: A bit of color and contrast go a long way. I edit mine for color, shadows, sharpen and maybe a bit of pop - which is basically a high-radius unsharp mask (and enhances local contrast like for wrinkles so don't overdo it - in Google Photos. Because it is convenient since they upload automatically there. Personally I am not a fan of „beautifying” filters

I'll think about more stuff and come back.

mvrhb3br6heq.jpg
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    @cee134 Evidence has already been enclosed in the Selfie Thread earlier today. :P