Is it true that eating late at night is bad for weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• elizabethdzenitis
    elizabethdzenitis Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Y’all so is there an answer to this question cause I’m getting mixed messages >:|
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Y’all so is there an answer to this question cause I’m getting mixed messages >:|

Everyone has said it doesn't matter lol.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »

If you count calories, meal timing doesnt matter. If you dont, meal timing might help reduce total intake.

I feel like this is the best advice for the OP

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

Unless eating late causes you to have issues sleeping, it is not bad
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,920 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Chat fora can be confusing and things in life are seldom absolute.
    Everyone has said it doesn't matter lol.
    Technically there was dissension in the ranks and a minority opinion that "sounded scientific" (I still think of it as scientificky, sorry) and which promised citations.

See the thing is that I am not even THAT sure that technically the said minority opinion is not absolutely correct in that during your sleep period as you absorb energy from your digestive process and are not engaged in BMR+ levels of activity you may well be storing some of that energy.

And most certainly the type of energy storage that takes place may depend on the type of food that is getting digested at that point of time and on the energy balance of each individual...

and it is also absolutely wrong... because all of this doesn't amount to a hill of beans!

It is missing the forest for the trees: that in a net caloric deficit there is no net storage of fat.
    misnomer1 wrote: »
    If you count calories, meal timing doesnt matter. If you dont, meal timing might help reduce total intake.
    ginababin wrote: »
    I feel like this is the best advice for the OP
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Unless eating late causes you to have issues sleeping...
    There you go!
    Problem solved!

Moving to n=1:
    I got to a weight of 280+ lbs while eating big meals late at night and within an hour or two of going to bed in spite of this causing me GERD.

I also got to a weight of ~155lbs while eating the majority of my calories* late at night and within an hour or two of going to bed. Incidentally, GERD, and a whole bunch of other medical problems, seem to have temporarily cleared up.