Is eating 2 baked potatoes for one meal bad?

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    kgeyser wrote: »
    I'll have two loaded baked potatoes (cheddar cheese, bacon, and sour cream) as meal, and I haven't had any problems. I make sure to hit my macros and nutrients with my other meals, and it fits into my calories. It does tend to kick me into a higher-than-normal carb intake for the day, but it hasn't been a problem. I tend to have it as dinner, so I've eaten enough during the day that the carbs don't make me want to overeat and if I feel tired, I can just go to bed.

If you are getting adequate exercise that is a big part of maintaining good health. We tend to think that because we are well today that we will be well tomorrow. Damage is accumulated. Which is why we tend to see certain consequences from abusing our bodies at an older age more often than at a younger age. If you are getting regular yearly check-ups, and you do not feel physically off then you should be fine. Listen to your body and if in doubt ask your doctor for advice.

I never said I had any concerns about my health.

I believe I should clarify, You said, "I'll have two loaded baked potatoes (cheddar cheese, bacon, and sour cream) as meal, and I haven't had any problems. " and " I tend to have it as dinner, so I've eaten enough during the day that the carbs don't make me want to overeat ..." I was speaking on these two points. Sorry for the confusion!

That still has nothing to do with concerns about my health. The OP asked if it was bad, I said I didn't have any problems. Feelings of wanting to overeat or feeling sluggish after a high carb intake is also not a health concern, it's something that some people experience that can be easily handled by watching carb intake and timing.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »
    The best place to get this information (aside from your medical doctor whom you trust) is the American Diabetes Association. Assuming of course they aren't "full of woo" as it were.
    diabetes.org/are-you-at-risk/diabetes-risk-test/

That link did not work for me. However, I checked the site and saw nothing suggesting that baked potatoes cause diabetes (the risk factors on the test I think are mostly obesity, genetics, and age). It wasn't very helpful on what does, but everything I've read is consistent with what psulemon wrote above: avoid obesity, inactivity, and eat a generally healthy diet. Genetics and some medications can be risk factors. Lots of sugary soda is the main dietary thing that seems clearly a bad idea, although it might be simply a correlation.

No correlation with higher carb diets that are also healthy (and no reason to assume 2 baked potatoes at a meal = a higher carb diet anyway).

I'm not saying you were trying to suggest that the advice given here so far is bad or that OP should worry about potatoes, but since the link didn't work for me and since someone else above is attacking the people giving advice, I thought it might be helpful to elaborate.

You went there searching for baked potatoes in relation to diabetes? Where did I say that that specific info could be found there? I said, "The best place to get INFORMATION." As in, this is a place where information can be found. I did NOT say, " this is the place to find out if potatoes cause diabetes. "

The OP said, "I'm just thinking of GI index and in the long term diabetes.

Would eating 2 on a regular basis be bad in the long run or is it more to genetics and being overweight that contributes to diabetes."

In order to direct the OP to find information on said GI index and the like, I posted this link. I am very careful about saying exactly what I mean and nothing more. I do not appreciate when people try to put words into my mouth.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    now Iv read this I want jacket spuds for dinner
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    A lot of medical doctors in here telling you untrue things. When you eat carbs and sugar your pancreas pumps out insulin to help your body take in said carbs and sugar. When you give your body high amounts of carbs and sugar you demand more insulin. You eventually can possibly become insulin resistant. Many people believe that insulin resistance is a myth. It isn't by the way. It is what happens when you are on your way to becoming diabetic. Exercise can help take the edge off of this biological and scientifically proven process.

If you exercise your body demands more fuel. Fat and blood glucose. When you do not exercise enough for your body to demand these fuels you get a rise in blood sugar and insulin resistance. When you start feeling that you are getting low blood sugars an hour or two after eating said baked potatoes (or other high carb items) that is when you know that you are no longer processing this high amount of carbs and sugar properly. Some people may never feel that they have these warning episodes of poor processing of carbs and sugar. Others do. Insulin resistance can be reversed. Usually with a lower carb and sugar eating plan coupled with good exercise.

Anyone who does not understand how excessive carbs and sugar can actually cause type 2 diabetes has never taken a lesson in Biology. Insulin is real, high levels of insulin are bad for you, high levels of blood glucose is bad for you, spiking your blood sugar on a habitual basis is bad for you.

So in closing I say, how about having a single potato with some other vegetable? How do you feel about other vegetables?

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/
    http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20857657,00.html#myth-exercise-can-t-help-prevent-type-2-diabetes-0
    https://www.prevention.com/health/7-diabetes-myths-debunked/slide/4
    https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/features/diabetes-myths-truth#1
    https://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/diabetesatwork/pdfs/diabetesmyths.pdf

Those people really should take a lesson in biology from you.

Prevention? You consider them a reputable source? "okay". LOL!

The pancreas puts out insulin on a supply and demand basis. This is an indisputable fact. Abusing this function is what causes diabetes coupled with inadequate exercise. Are you implying that the body does not function in this way?

https://niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/prediabetes-insulin-resistance
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I had stuffed potato skins and a burger for lunch today. Not uncommon. Not diabetic or prediabetic and none of it going to directly cause me to be. This fear of starch is at peak ridiculous levels now.