The sad truth about pasta

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash but I think the idea that it is a pasta substitute throes people off. I use it for all sorts of dishes but it is absolutely not pasta like in taste or texture. I gave my husband a forkful without explaining that and I don’t think he will ever try it again

Did he think it was pasta?
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash but I think the idea that it is a pasta substitute throes people off. I use it for all sorts of dishes but it is absolutely not pasta like in taste or texture. I gave my husband a forkful without explaining that and I don’t think he will ever try it again

Did he think it was pasta?

I said, “I’m not eating pasta tonight I’m having my sauce on spaghetti squash, here try some!” I’m assuming he thought it was a substitute:). I’m very adventurous with food and he is... well not.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Zoodles are not pasta. They are zucchini strings.
    Spaghetti squash is not pasta. Its stringy squash.
    Cauliflower rice is not rice. Its grated cauliflower.
    Shiratake / Yam noodles are not pasta.

All of the above have their uses and purpose. But dont expect any of the above to taste or behave like the real thing. Not going to happen.

I think that's why they are referred to as substitutes or alternatives. Much like almond or soy milk are milk alternatives/substitutes.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It always makes me sad how people go through high school, college / university and then cant follow or understand the simple label on a box of, in the example, pasta.

While this might be true, calling someone out on a mistake they already feel silly about is something most of us learn is kind of a not nice thing to do when we're in kindergarten.

That part.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try zoodles but have tried spaghetti squash and am just not a big fan. I would like to try to make my own paste here soon!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I like to add zoodles along side of my pasta, kind of like filler. Allows me to still eat pasta, but eat the portion size I want with all of that yummy sauce but not all of the calories.

That's exactly what I do. Bulks up a serving size quite nicely.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash. Like zoodles too, but too lazy to make them myself. (I used to make pasta quite often, but calorifically it's no better and again, I'm lazy, so don't do that anymore either.)

Sauces I would put on pasta often taste good just on chopped vegetables (roasted eggplant is one option), no need to make them into noodles, IME. But I really enjoy spaghetti squash as an alternative.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Remember that information on the label for dry pasta is before it is cooked. Dry pasta would weigh just about double after cooking.

To some extent it depends on the type of pasta, but in my experience it comes out to more like 3 times the weight.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through the thread, but I only buy 150 calorie pasta these days. Creamette & Ronzoni make it, and I can also get it in a local store brand. It's higher fiber but has no difference in taste or texture as far as I'm concerned.
  • celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I like to add zoodles along side of my pasta, kind of like filler. Allows me to still eat pasta, but eat the portion size I want with all of that yummy sauce but not all of the calories.

That's exactly what I do. Bulks up a serving size quite nicely.

I am going to try this!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love spaghetti squash. Like zoodles too, but too lazy to make them myself. (I used to make pasta quite often, but calorifically it's no better and again, I'm lazy, so don't do that anymore either.)

Sauces I would put on pasta often taste good just on chopped vegetables (roasted eggplant is one option), no need to make them into noodles, IME. But I really enjoy spaghetti squash as an alternative.

I purchased a spiriliser which works just like a pencil sharpener. Has that zucchini into zoodles in no time at all. Love it.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    It always makes me sad how people go through high school, college / university and then cant follow or understand the simple label on a box of, in the example, pasta.

I agree with you, but sadly almost no one reads labels anyway. That's why I think the new labels won't make much of a difference overall. Nor will displaying the calories on menus except for people like me and most folks here who endeavor to track nutrition anyway.
  • Jigglypuff00
    Jigglypuff00 Posts: 267 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    "Nope, no leniency. No one is allowed to have a brain-fart, ever. Nup.

I wonder what this dude would have thought of my double-degree, post-graduate qualificationed self a few months ago when I spent 5 minutes trying to peel the cutter off the old box of cling wrap to stick on the new one, when I could have just put the new roll of cling in the old box. He'd have been horrified. Lost all faith in humanity."

LOL...I loved that kind of cutter! It doesn't make the cling wrap bunch up! I would have tried to do the same thing you did. Obviously it wouldn't have occurred to me to put the new roll in the old box either, otherwise, I'd still have the old box! :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    celiah909 wrote: »

While this might be true, calling someone out on a mistake they already feel silly about is something most of us learn is kind of a not nice thing to do when we're in kindergarten.

Couldn’t agree more.

Nahhh... wasnt calling anyone out, its just one of those things that pops up every single day on the forums. Everyone can have one of those days. I guess nothing I read here should surprise me. Sorry if I offended anyone lol

It's interesting because I didn't take your comment as mean. I chuckled when I first read it because I'm certainly a little sad sometimes with my inability to see something pretty obvious. I think everyone is. I also didn't take it that you were commenting on anyone's intelligence.

Tone is very difficult to convey in writing. I try hard to give people the benefit of the doubt.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I had 1200 calories of pasta last night. It was like 4 of those bowls jammed full plus crusty bread. Absolutely glorious.

(I'm in maintenance and was catching up on a couple of days deficit after a long run)