I don't care that your fat and at the gym because what I'm REALLY thinking is...

Options

Replies

• mfpmishka
    mfpmishka Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I am thinking I am so happy you go out and do something! Which is exactly what I am thinking for myself lol.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    1. This weight is too light.
    2. I can't believe I am using this weight now! I was in tears the first time I tried the lowest weight a few months ago.
    3. How can I record this on Instagram without disrupting others/hogging the equipment?
    4. What should I listen to on the treadmill since it is the most boring cardio ever?

If I notice other people:
    1. Good for him/her!
    2. I wonder where she bought those cool leggings?

Obviously, my workout is a priority. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about my technical points or exertion level or heart rate, mostly. I usually weight train at home, and at the gym do group classes or very rarely stationary bike or rowing machine. If it's compatible with the particular activity (like spin class), I often close my eyes, just opening them to check cadence or HR periodically. Are there other people there? I don't see 'em! ;)

In group classes I go to regularly, I try to introduce myself to new people, usually after class; learn the person's name; empathize with how it is to try it the first time and say all of us were new once; and tell them I hope they'll be back because it gets easier each time, and pays off with repetition.

I admit to occasionally judging others on the rowing machine: Partly, it's wishing I could help those who aren't using it in a way that provides a solid workout (but that's not good gym etiquette). (I'm an experienced rower and was certified to coach.)

But mostly, I'm worried about people who row with their back rounded in a way that risks injury, especially older folks like me who may be more vulnerable. I talked to the gym's fitness director about the latter because it seemed like suddenly many seniors were using the rower riskily, and I was concerned that maybe one of the trainers was telling them to do it without emphasizing safe body mechanics.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I dont pay attention to others at the gym. Anyone at the gym gets kudos from me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    JennyRATL wrote: »
    I wonder how to get to that point rather than feeling like I'm wandering around aimlessly.

secret tip: find a programme ;) i completely understand how you feel, but that could be the best advice mark rippetoe gave in a book completely stuffed with good advice for people just starting out. there's no super-competence to it at all.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about my technical points or exertion level or heart rate, mostly. I usually weight train at home, and at the gym do group classes or very rarely stationary bike or rowing machine. If it's compatible with the particular activity (like spin class), I often close my eyes, just opening them to check cadence or HR periodically. Are there other people there? I don't see 'em! ;)

In group classes I go to regularly, I try to introduce myself to new people, usually after class; learn the person's name; empathize with how it is to try it the first time and say all of us were new once; and tell them I hope they'll be back because it gets easier each time, and pays off with repetition.

I admit to occasionally judging others on the rowing machine: Partly, it's wishing I could help those who aren't using it in a way that provides a solid workout (but that's not good gym etiquette). (I'm an experienced rower and was certified to coach.)

But mostly, I'm worried about people who row with their back rounded in a way that risks injury, especially older folks like me who may be more vulnerable. I talked to the gym's fitness director about the latter because it seemed like suddenly many seniors were using the rower riskily, and I was concerned that maybe one of the trainers was telling them to do it without emphasizing safe body mechanics.

That seems like the best way to go about it! Maybe your gym's director will put up a sign or something that says "Question about proper rowing form? Just ask ___" would be reassuring and maybe help make sure they are doing it properly.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Thanks for his thread! Today was my first time in a fitness gym. I had a ton of these thoughts going through my head. It helped that I did have a trainer with me and walked me though everything, but I still felt like I was doing everything wrong.
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    "Please don't let my bra come undone in the middle of my lift again."
    "Shoot, my bra came undone."
    "What # set was I on?" (J/K, I got an app for that one.)
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1. This is my jam!
    2. What was I thinking with this weight? It's too heavy/light.
    3. *kitten*, I lost count again. I'll just do 5 more.
    4. Oh man, I have to leave now :neutral:
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I’m usually thinking two things.... damn that girl is hot! And why do these mirrors mess with me!?

Finally. Some honesty!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lowjax75 wrote: »
    I still felt like I was doing everything wrong.

everyone does. everyone did. that goes away, so give yourself time.

that's what i'm usually thinking when i see a new person. 'hope they keep coming'.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    I'm praying I don't fart and that my tampon doesn't leak.

lol I was in the squat rack once and in the rack next time mine was this gorgeous bikini model. So yeah I had the same though "just dont fart, just dont fart). Anyway i was squatting quite heavy (for me) and as I came up on my last rep it ripped. No not a soft little fart, it was like a thunderstorm. People actually stopped and looked around so I racked the weight and looked around as well shaking my head and looking all disgusted lol

I got out of there pretty quickly after that.

Yeah, having a little extra pressure inside while squatting is challenging......I guess we just have to tighten up the core even more while doing it....

You're not alone - although no thunder....
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy thinking about...
    how+do+they+work.jpg
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I dont pay attention to others at the gym. Anyone at the gym gets kudos from me.

Actually, you do perceive everything happening around you at all times. Unless you are wearing a blindfold and earplugs, your brain is in a constant state of awareness and is processing everything happening in your environment - that is a good thing, it means you are alive...