BROWN RICE!!!!!

Options
HEY MFP!!! Please give me some tips on making my brown rice tasty! its so nasty to me! Someone told me to add vegetable broth and I did, it was ok but still not that tasty.. and ideas!!???

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    If you don't like brown rice, then don't eat it. White rice is fine. You lose a few minerals and fiber, but it's comparable to brown rice in nutrition and calories.

And metabolically it doesn't matter. Nor does it for diabetes.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/07/27/jn.111.142224.full.pdf

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    HEY MFP!!! Please give me some tips on making my brown rice tasty! its so nasty to me! Someone told me to add vegetable broth and I did, it was ok but still not that tasty.. and ideas!!???

What are you cooking or making with the brown rice? You can make brown rice pilaf etc. Pretty much anything that you use white rice for. If you're making plain rice then try adding some chicken broth.

Also, why are you so trying to make brown rice likeable if you don't like it? It has more nutrition but weight-loss wise or even health wise, white rice and brown rice aren't that different. Brown rice just happen to have some extra fiber and a few other nutrition but if you hate the taste of it, ditch the brown and go white!
  • Beautifullymadetoday
    Beautifullymadetoday Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    i like putting steamed vegies in mine like broccolie pea's
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is nasty. Just eat white rice and enjoy.
  • blessedmomof3girls
    blessedmomof3girls Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I only eat mine with salsa. Put it in a tortilla with chicken. Super yummy! Try a couple different brands too, they aren't really all created equally. I have always found with wheat products that if I don't like something, that if I try a different brand or two usually I will find something that tastes better to me.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice - plain and fancied up. My favorite is with sauteed onion and cilantro!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    lots of butter and bbq sauce and sriracha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    White rice is high GI. Brown rice & basmati rice are medium GI. If you don't like the brown, you could try the lower GI basmati white
    GI doesn't matter much when it comes to rice. Studies show that eating one or the other doesn't change any risks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    GI doesn't matter much when it comes to rice. Studies show that eating one or the other doesn't change any risks.

What studies are these?
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If you don't like brown rice, then don't eat it. White rice is fine. You lose a few minerals and fiber, but it's comparable to brown rice in nutrition and calories.

And metabolically it doesn't matter. Nor does it for diabetes.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/07/27/jn.111.142224.full.pdf

IDEA Fitness member

Seriously, you just made my day. I have been trying to like brown rice but its just nasty. I don't eat a huge amount but I used to enjoy it when I did, since trying to swap to brown its been a sad meal day.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice. I would say basmati rice s a good alternative. I love it in Indian food!

That said, if you're eating stir-fry or Chinese food, brown rice works pretty well and seamlessly. I don't eat it by itself, but then again, I never did that with white rice.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice. I would say basmati rice s a good alternative. I love it in Indian food!

That said, if you're eating stir-fry or Chinese food, brown rice works pretty well and seamlessly. I don't eat it by itself, but then again, I never did that with white rice.

I wouldn't recommenced brown rice to an enemy, let alone a friend. Just eww! You can cook brown rice for a year and it still stays crunchy instead of soft. White rice FTW!
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Cook it like usual then boil some chicken bouillon cubes and put the rice in there and let it simmer for a little, gives it a "chicken" flavor, it's good.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Fry with curry, garlic, a bit of salt, and a little bit of vegetable oil. (Olive Oil is better for you and can be used, but it has a lower smoking point so you may set of your smoke detector. LOL)
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommenced brown rice to an enemy, let alone a friend. Just eww! You can cook brown rice for a year and it still stays crunchy instead of soft. White rice FTW!

I mostly use brown rice now. I cook it in my rice cooker and it only comes out crunchy if it gets burned. It cooks just as easily for me as white rice. Everyone's taste is different, so just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's "nasty."
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love brown rice (I guess it shows I've been living in Japan for too long). I prefer it to white rice because of the taste alone. Here it's usually served mixed with sesame seeds and sweet read beans...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I mostly use brown rice now. I cook it in my rice cooker and it only comes out crunchy if it gets burned. It cooks just as easily for me as white rice. Everyone's taste is different, so just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's "nasty."

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Just because someone else likes it doesn't mean it isn't "nasty," to me.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Don't bother. I used to love brown rice, but you know what? It always has bugs in it so I can't eat it anymore. The bugs are tiny, but still. You buy a bag of brown rice and leave it on a shelf for a while, unopened, and then move it around and you can see the evidence. I think these tiny critters lay their eggs under the brown outer layer.

But to people who love and eat brown rice, please feel free to ignore my comments!
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I add brown rice to dishes so you don't really notice it. I found this recipe and I really like it. Made it for the husband and he likes it too :) Eat it by itself or wrapped in a tortilla with some cheese and salsa yum! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsavings/recipes/fiesta-skillet-dinner
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Put it in fruit smoothies.
    Use it to make pancakes.
    Make a hot cereal by cooking it with milk, fruit and nuts.
    Top it with salsa and cheese.
    Serve it with diced green onion and a dollop of sour cream.
    Sautee some bell pepper, red onion, garlic, ginger and soy sauce then add your rice. Add sriracha if you like it to have a kick.
    Put it in soup.
    Put it in stuffed peppers.
    Put it in meatloaf.
    Add a can of Rotel and use it in burritos with beans, cheese, and meat.
    Make fried rice with egg, diced turkey ham, chopped green onion, and soy sauce.

Invent your own recipes, too. Rice is fairly inexpensive, so even if your invention turns out horrible, you've not tossed out half your grocery budget.