Replies

• sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    basmati is sooo good...just a little cilantro and a squeeze of lime
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    HEY MFP!!! Please give me some tips on making my brown rice tasty! its so nasty to me! Someone told me to add vegetable broth and I did, it was ok but still not that tasty.. and ideas!!???

If you don't like it, don't eat it. That said, I LOVE it prepared like so:

Baked Brown Rice

1 1/2 cups brown rice
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 teaspoon (1 clove equivalent) minced garlic
    1 Tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water, butter, and salt just to a boil in a kettle or covered saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.
  • tarajoyce09
    tarajoyce09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Garlicky Brown Rice

Start off by putting 1/2-1 tablespoon Olive Oil, let that warm up and then I add garlic to the oil to infuse. Add 1cup rice, 1 can of Beef, chicken or vegtable broth and then 3/4 cup water.

So yummy!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I happen to LOVE brown rice, but that doesn't matter at all, hmm? Most of the civilized world adores coffee, yet I have never consumed even one whole cup of it, due to my dislike for the taste.

Don't force yourself to eat/drink ANY calories that you don't enjoy. That does not create a happy healthy relationship with food, nor does it set you up to adopt new eating habits or keep them. There's a huge variety of foods out there, and you will lose weight by keeping a caloric deficit no matter what foods you choose.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been toping it with chili. Yummy and filling!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommenced brown rice to an enemy, let alone a friend. Just eww! You can cook brown rice for a year and it still stays crunchy instead of soft. White rice FTW!

You don't have to cook brow rice al dante, you can make it soft by cooking it 1 cup rice to 2.5 cups liquid ratio instead of 1 to 2 ratio. Get the short grain or pearl style brown rice. My husband does not like al dante rice, either, but enjoys the softer cooked brown rice.

If you want the added nutrition, and it is only the texture that bothers you, changing up the cooking style may be just the ticket. If the nut-like flavor of brown rice is the issue, then using white rice would work better for your palette.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice. I would say basmati rice s a good alternative. I love it in Indian food!

That said, if you're eating stir-fry or Chinese food, brown rice works pretty well and seamlessly. I don't eat it by itself, but then again, I never did that with white rice.
    what is wrong with white rice?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I personally like brown rice...

but I usually saute some yellow squash, bell peppers, and onions and then add my rice to it and then top off with some tobasco sauce or stir fry sauce...

that *kitten* aint no joke!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Rice-a-Roni... the San Francisco Treat!
  • ChiManLifts
    Options
    Only white rice crew. IIFYM
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Last night I cooked mine with beef broth, and then once it was cooked I added garlic, soy sauce, green onions, and fresh spinach. Topped that with some oven roasted turkey breast, and it was pretty tasty!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice. I would say basmati rice s a good alternative. I love it in Indian food!

That said, if you're eating stir-fry or Chinese food, brown rice works pretty well and seamlessly. I don't eat it by itself, but then again, I never did that with white rice.
    what is wrong with white rice?

It's evil because it's processed more!? I give up on figuring out all the new diet fads and trends....
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommenced brown rice to an enemy, let alone a friend. Just eww! You can cook brown rice for a year and it still stays crunchy instead of soft. White rice FTW!

I mostly use brown rice now. I cook it in my rice cooker and it only comes out crunchy if it gets burned. It cooks just as easily for me as white rice. Everyone's taste is different, so just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's "nasty."

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Just because someone else likes it doesn't mean it isn't "nasty," to me.

Your previous statement was "Brown rice is nasty. Just eat white rice and enjoy" That was a generalized statement.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Buy a quality rice steamer and learn to use it.

Or just throw it out and make a steak and potato instead.

I strongly recommend the latter.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you don't like brown rice, then don't eat it. White rice is fine. You lose a few minerals and fiber, but it's comparable to brown rice in nutrition and calories.

And metabolically it doesn't matter. Nor does it for diabetes.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/07/27/jn.111.142224.full.pdf

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^This. I don't understand, if you don't like something, don't eat it. White rice is fine, and as stated, you are giving up a few minerals and fiber, but nothing that a balanced diet won't replace.

Also, someone mentioned white rice as being a high G.I. food. The glycemic index is proven outdated and usesless. The glycemic index ONLY measures the ability of an ISOLATED carbohydrate source to raise blood sugar level in a FASTED state. This is unrealistic in the real world. How many individuals are only consuming a carbohydrate for a meal, in a fasted state? The majority of individuals consume foods in a fed state, because it can take 4-8 hours, or even longer depending on the size of a meal, to fully digest and absorb a meal.The addition of protein and fats will further affect the GI of a food.

Bottom line. There are no magic foods for weight loss. Eat what you like according your caloric and macronutrient goals.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike it because it took so darn long to cook. Then I discovered 'Minute' brown rice and I've totally fallen in love with it-just had it for lunch in fact :) I do cook it for 2 minutes longer than the 5 minutes the directions say, and I have no problems with crunchy rice. My two current favorite ways to eat it-

saute carrots, green onion in a bit of butter, while the rice is cooking. Nuke some frozen peas and scramble up an egg. Then mix it all together and top with some soy sauce. Love it!

saute mushrooms, diced onion and diced yellow bell pepper in a bit of butter while the rice is cooking. Mix together and top with a bit of soy sauce, though I've found that it has so much flavor from the mushrooms and veggies that I don't need to add anything but a bit of salt and pepper.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I cooking my brown rice in low sodium chicken broth and add a tablespoon of butter. Then spice it up with garlic and onion powder, oregano, basil, paprika and parsley. It's also how you cook it. Use two cups of broth for a cup of rice and only cook it for 50 minutes. It is MUCH LESS mushy this way.
  • zapballs
    zapballs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Here is my trick to make luscious brown rice:

-Buy a rice cooker! No more hovering over the stove top wondering if your rice is finished! It's a great investment and will save you so much time.

-Add 2 cups of water per every cook of uncooked rice. Important to check on water levels throughout cooking and slowly add more if needed. Too much water = soggy rice, too little water = crunchy, uncooked rice.

-You can really dress up boring rice by adding a ton of yummy spices to your liking. I love to put oregano, red pepper, and garlic powder. Watch the salt!

-Add 1 tbsp of chicken or vegetable bullion OR a 1/2 cup of chicken or vegetable broth. This really "rounds out" the flavor to me...

Try this and you will have literally the most delicious, flavorful and healthy rice. Yum!
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    White rice is totally devoid of any nutrients except for starch which rapidly breaks down into sugar in the bloodstream. Brown rice has vitamins, protein, minerals and fiber. Both are fairly high in natural arsenic, brown having more than white. Brown basmati rice may be more appealing in flavor, but it's tough to find.

Why don't you just use other grains? Bulgur wheat, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, barley, oats, etc...there are a lot of choices. Food rotation is good for you too, reducing the chance of developing sensitivities.

(I am a real MD, preventive medicine certified)