BROWN RICE!!!!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice. I would say basmati rice s a good alternative. I love it in Indian food!

That said, if you're eating stir-fry or Chinese food, brown rice works pretty well and seamlessly. I don't eat it by itself, but then again, I never did that with white rice.
    what is wrong with white rice?

It's evil because it's processed more!? I give up on figuring out all the new diet fads and trends....
    I guess white race is racist? LOL
  • ndj1979
    Options
    White rice is totally devoid of any nutrients except for starch which rapidly breaks down into sugar in the bloodstream. Brown rice has vitamins, protein, minerals and fiber. Both are fairly high in natural arsenic, brown having more than white. Brown basmati rice may be more appealing in flavor, but it's tough to find.

Why don't you just use other grains? Bulgur wheat, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, barley, oats, etc...there are a lot of choices. Food rotation is good for you too, reducing the chance of developing sensitivities.

(I am a real MD, preventive medicine certified)
    and I am an astronaut who just got back from Mars....
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    So is white rice good or bad?!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't advise eating white rice. I would say basmati rice s a good alternative. I love it in Indian food!

That said, if you're eating stir-fry or Chinese food, brown rice works pretty well and seamlessly. I don't eat it by itself, but then again, I never did that with white rice.

It's evil because it's processed more!? I give up on figuring out all the new diet fads and trends....

ricist . . .
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    You can also eat brown rice like oatmeal: with milk, fruit, and cinnamon, it's pretty darn tasty.
  • melindafritz
    Options
    Don't eat it
    its gross
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    eat with something that's saucy. i always eat it with my stir fry. it's yummy. or just don't eat it if you hate it so much.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Don't bother. I used to love brown rice, but you know what? It always has bugs in it so I can't eat it anymore. The bugs are tiny, but still. You buy a bag of brown rice and leave it on a shelf for a while, unopened, and then move it around and you can see the evidence. I think these tiny critters lay their eggs under the brown outer layer.

But to people who love and eat brown rice, please feel free to ignore my comments!

I'm pretty sure that's a regional variance. You may want to consider pouring it (or anything that you don't want bugs getting into--I'm surprised they're discerning enough to tell the difference between brown and white rice, or brown rice and flour, or brown rice and sugar) into an airtight container, such as an OXO or even a recycled glass jar.

No, the eggs of these bugs are IN the rice when it's purchased, so pouring it into another container would do nothing. The difference between white and brown rice, as far as the bugs are concerned, is that their place to lay eggs is under the natural coating that is on brown rice and is polished away for white rice.

Click here for a discussion of rice bugs.

http://dharmafolk.org/2009/07/11/bugs-in-my-rice/

I would love to eat brown rice and it makes me mad that I can't eat it w/o eating bugs!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice. I usually add veggies sauteed in olive oil, mix it all together, and some Natures Seasoning. yummy
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

ricist . . .

win.
  • ndj1979
    Options

ricist . . .

bahahahahahahaha
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce and/or ketchup.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I happen to LOVE brown rice, but that doesn't matter at all, hmm? Most of the civilized world adores coffee, yet I have never consumed even one whole cup of it, due to my dislike for the taste.

Don't force yourself to eat/drink ANY calories that you don't enjoy. That does not create a happy healthy relationship with food, nor does it set you up to adopt new eating habits or keep them. There's a huge variety of foods out there, and you will lose weight by keeping a caloric deficit no matter what foods you choose.

QFT! :heart:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommenced brown rice to an enemy, let alone a friend. Just eww! You can cook brown rice for a year and it still stays crunchy instead of soft. White rice FTW!

I mostly use brown rice now. I cook it in my rice cooker and it only comes out crunchy if it gets burned. It cooks just as easily for me as white rice. Everyone's taste is different, so just because one person doesn't like it, doesn't mean it's "nasty."

Actually, that's exactly what it means. Just because someone else likes it doesn't mean it isn't "nasty," to me.

Your previous statement was "Brown rice is nasty. Just eat white rice and enjoy" That was a generalized statement.

It's called an opinion! :laugh: :wink:
  • irivas1
    irivas1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    White rice is totally devoid of any nutrients except for starch which rapidly breaks down into sugar in the bloodstream. Brown rice has vitamins, protein, minerals and fiber. Both are fairly high in natural arsenic, brown having more than white. Brown basmati rice may be more appealing in flavor, but it's tough to find.

Why don't you just use other grains? Bulgur wheat, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, barley, oats, etc...there are a lot of choices. Food rotation is good for you too, reducing the chance of developing sensitivities.

(I am a real MD, preventive medicine certified)

^^^This^^^
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have found one brand of brown rice (and I've tried quite a few) that I really like. It is called Riceland. I add some salt, along with some chicken bouillon granules.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I actually eat it cuz I truly love it. Last time I put lime in the water it was boiling in cuz I was making burrito bowls. YUMMY! :) but yeah if you hate it there are too many alternatives to even bother forcing it down. Enjoy your food!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Add olive oil and dill - it's dreamy. I learned that from a Persian friend and love it like that.