Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Either way, Fung is a nephrologist who has woven just enough actual science into all his pseudo/junk science to almost sound convincing, but he's been torn apart by plenty of experts with actual knowledge about physiology and nutrition. He's another Dr. Oz - a physician who's sold his soul to the almighty dollar, peddling snake oil and shoveling in money by the bucketloads from gullible, desperate people.

It's rather telling that when you Google his name, some of the first links to his "work" are to dietdoctor.com, Jimmy Moore's keto site and Mercola's site. You can almost fill up your woo bingo card from that first page of search results.

Isn't dietdoctor His own Site? It talks about him enough to be at least.

Funny you should ask. Unsurprisingly, he's listed on their site as an "expert contributor". And dietdoctor is hardly an unbiased source - it's nothing more than a keto propaganda website.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Mr. Fung...All I could think of was this....
    https://youtu.be/Yw_CtUR9Lh0?t=3m25s
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want to stick pins in my eyes. This is one of those times
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    T6jghOC.gif

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There were even studies where diabetes improved on a high sugar high carb diet, but the guy conducting them was an unethical pervert, so they're not often talked about.

The findings are still valid, though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Mr. Fung...All I could think of was this....
    https://youtu.be/Yw_CtUR9Lh0?t=3m25s

Not to make this a Dana Carvey thread (though that wouldn't be a bad thing) but my sisters and I drop quotes from this show at least twice a week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There were even studies where diabetes improved on a high sugar high carb diet, but the guy conducting them was an unethical pervert, so they're not often talked about.

The findings are still valid, though.

Many, even.

https://deniseminger.com/2015/10/06/in-defense-of-low-fat-a-call-for-some-evolution-of-thought-part-1/

And the current plant-based gurus like Campbell and Fuhrman and the rest report the same kind of miraculous results with T2D as the low carbers.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Djproulx wrote: »
    That was a waste of 4 minutes.....

You actually bothered to click the link?

I'm not interested in anything Fung has to say. He's a woo-spouting crackpot and is a laughingstock amongst evidence-based nutrition/physiology experts.

It was humorous when he popped into the ISSN (International Society of Sports Nutrition) Facebook group. He was absolutely crucified in there.

Now THAT'S a link I'd click!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Barry7879 wrote: »
    So the mainstream theory on obesity is - proximate cause = we eat too many calories relative to what we expend. Ultimate cause is - we are too greedy and lazy

The hormonal theory's proximate cause = we eat too many calories (particularly of sugar and simple carbs). Ultimate cause is = simple carbs drive up blood sugar which drives up insulin to get the blood sugar down which over decades causes insulin resistance which causes obesity, diabetes (and maybe other nasties like CVD, PCOS)

Translation. It's not my fault.

I'm sorry, but I got to 330+lbs because I ate too much and didn't move enough. I'm now ~220 and aiming for sub 200 by eating less and moving more. It was my fault I was morbidly obese and it's my responsibility to deal with it.

I'm curious how many times this needs to be said?

Also, if the causation in the hormonal theory is insulin resistance, how come there are people who are overweight and even obese without being IR?

But in any case, I agree with you. The hormonal theory seems to be an effort to tell people they couldn't help but overeat or that it was not their own chosen actions (overeating) that caused their weight gain. Ugh.

That's an excellent point. I've never had IR, and I was obese class II.
This discussion has been closed.