Is it okay to eat fast food every once in awhile?

Options
Hi there, I feel kinda bad now. I ate chick fil a on my lunch break from school. I was really hungry and didn't have time to drive home to grab some food. I tried to make it healthier though. I ate a regular chicken sandwich (no butter no pickles) a medium fry (no salt) and a bottle of water. It totaled to 800 calories and 39 grams of fat. Outrageous right? i still have plenty of calories left for the day and nothing is over what my daily limit is on MFP. I actually still have plenty of room for a light dinner.

I rarely eat fast food now, if i do its chick fil a every other week for a day. I plan on going to the gym later and working out but im not sure if i kind of ruined everything for the day. i'm not saying im dropping everything and being done i'm continuing this weight loss journey but i need some encouragement.

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If it stays within your goals, it's fine. A healthy lifestyle doesn't mean you have to deprive yourself from things you like to eat or going to get fast food sometimes. Do things in moderation and your weight loss will be more sustainable.
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Fast food is TERRIBLE! But this is a life style change, to say you are not going to eat fast food ever again is not realistic. You entered the calories and you have a great plan for the rest of your day. THose are the two most important things you could do.

I say as long as you don't eat fast food so much that it derails your goals or makes you sick, then it's okay. Don't beat yourself up over it.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You need to move past demonizing any kind of foods... There is nothing wrong with eating out, if you have the calories and hit your macros then enjoy life and enjoy some food..... Best of Luck
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I will never deprive myself of something, because when I finally do get to eat then I overdo it. I try to eat the grilled chicken sandwich when I go to CFA, it's better in cals than the reg chicken sandwich. I also get fruit instead of fries and light lemonade :)
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    It's totally fine. As long as it's not all the time. I would not stress over it. It could have been way worse. As long as you keep everything within your goal then you're good.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I eat fast food on a regular basis. If it fits in your budget and you want it, no problem. Might not be the most nutritionally valid food but make the best choice you can and enjoy!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Why not? I do once in a while and it doesn't undo all my hard work. You have to treat yourself once in a while. If you don't you are more likely to give up on your weight loss plan. Everything in moderation!
  • absolutemike
    absolutemike Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    No.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You need to move past demonizing any kind of foods... There is nothing wrong with eat out if you have the calories and hit your macros then enjoy life and enjoy some food..... Best of Luck

I just want to say wow & congrats on your weight loss! 300 plus is amazing to lose!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's okay to eat _________ every once in a while.

Why did I put a blank there instead of saying fast food? Because that applies to EVERYTHING. Unless you have a medical allergy or sensitivity to a certain food, there is NOTHING you can't include in your diet as long as you remember the phrase "IN MODERATION"
  • LaurenEileen74
    LaurenEileen74 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Well I really hope it is ok every once in a while because I'm a filthy filthy *kitten* for a McChicken
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You need to move past demonizing any kind of foods... There is nothing wrong with eat out if you have the calories and hit your macros then enjoy life and enjoy some food..... Best of Luck

as you read this man's advice, go ahead and glance at his ticker.

He's telling the truth.

You can have fast food every day if you want to, as long as you hit your calorie numbers you will still lose weight.

*paging Jonnythan, please report to this thread*
  • seren7189
    seren7189 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I find if I skip the fries and soda and make good choices the rest of the day, I can still have a Teen burger once in a while! It's a 500 calorie burger, but a med fries is over 400! I still have fries, but I make them at home, in the oven, only 100/serving. I've also found a thin crust frozen pizza that is 300 calories for 1/2 pizza!!!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    If you can eat it in moderation, it is fine. Some people get a bite and then go into food zombie mode. Like me after easter candy :(

I really do not block out any foods... but I should not bring easter candy into my house :) it is my pitfall.

but yes in moderation it is fine. get a little more exercise today, and make healhier choices tomarrow :)

if I eat fast food on a whim i get the kids meal when possible, the portions are really all i need and my kids like the extra toy
  • itsmahgenes
    Options
    I think so.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I believe that everything in moderation is absolutely fine! Track your food and move on. Guilt is a wasted emotion in this situation! There is absolutely no reason to feel guilt!!
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Once in a great while, is fine. If it helps, CFA breads the chicken there and does not use a frozen pre-breaded piece like other fast food places do. I use to work there way back when, We made the breading there at the time, flour, salt, and pepper. I asked about a year ago, and they still bread it there.
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    You didn't ruin anything. How many calories do you usually eat for lunch? Work off the rest or don't eat a snack or have a bigger salad with dinner to cut calories there or even cut a few extra off tomorrow. If you want to keep going to Chick-fil-a (I love chick-fil-a ) check out their options. This site will let you build a meal and give you the nutritional data for it :
    http://www.chick-fil-a.com/Food/Meal#?

I miss Chick-fil-A fries. They are so good but the small will set me back 310 calories, and that is before I add ketchup...
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I feel kinda bad now. I ate chick fil a on my lunch break from school. I was really hungry and didn't have time to drive home to grab some food. I tried to make it healthier though. I ate a regular chicken sandwich (no butter no pickles) a medium fry (no salt) and a bottle of water. It totaled to 800 calories and 39 grams of fat. Outrageous right? i still have plenty of calories left for the day and nothing is over what my daily limit is on MFP. I actually still have plenty of room for a light dinner.

I rarely eat fast food now, if i do its chick fil a every other week for a day. I plan on going to the gym later and working out but im not sure if i kind of ruined everything for the day. i'm not saying im dropping everything and being done i'm continuing this weight loss journey but i need some encouragement.

Chick-fil-a every other week? You're probably already dead.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Chick Fil A? Really?

go to Taco Bell, that's where it's at.

I eat fast food every day. And look, I'm 35 down.

Don't fret it, enjoy your chicken.

Edited to include OP should enjoy chicken.

/end thread