Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    the
    I've knocked down gout attacks with it. When metabolized it has an alkalizing effect on the body.

No it doesn't. Your body's pH is far too well-regulated to be that easily pushed off, and if you did change your body's pH one way or the other too much (and it doesn't take much in terms of pH numbers) you'd get sick real fast.

There is a lot of room to change pH. The pH scale is a logarithmic scale. The livable range is about 7.35 to 7.45. On a non logarithmic scale that is a difference of: (10^7.35)/(10^7.35)=1.25 or 25%.

You still can't alter your body's pH unless you do something extreme to force it. Your body has a system that is meant to prevent it. Drink all the ACV you like, you'll likely either get sick of the taste or experience some other less threatening effect before it would have an effect on your body's pH. There's no need for the average person to mess with it anyway, the so-called "benefits" of alkalizing your body are all bogus.

I don't know how much the ACV can affect body alkalinity but if the livable range is +/- 12.5% then the feedback mechanism allows it to be in that range somewhat. This paper seems to refute your claim.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

Have you actually read it?
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    the
    I've knocked down gout attacks with it. When metabolized it has an alkalizing effect on the body.

No it doesn't. Your body's pH is far too well-regulated to be that easily pushed off, and if you did change your body's pH one way or the other too much (and it doesn't take much in terms of pH numbers) you'd get sick real fast.

There is a lot of room to change pH. The pH scale is a logarithmic scale. The livable range is about 7.35 to 7.45. On a non logarithmic scale that is a difference of: (10^7.35)/(10^7.35)=1.25 or 25%.

You still can't alter your body's pH unless you do something extreme to force it. Your body has a system that is meant to prevent it. Drink all the ACV you like, you'll likely either get sick of the taste or experience some other less threatening effect before it would have an effect on your body's pH. There's no need for the average person to mess with it anyway, the so-called "benefits" of alkalizing your body are all bogus.

I don't know how much the ACV can affect body alkalinity but if the livable range is +/- 12.5% then the feedback mechanism allows it to be in that range somewhat. This paper seems to refute your claim.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

Have you actually read it?

I did read it. Not all positive but a lot of it was. Did you read it?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    kmun18 wrote: »
    Not entirely sure of the benefits but I do take it everyday. Haven't noticed anything particularly but I continue to do it because of all that I hear and I do believe it is detoxing. Try this recipe:
    1/4 unsweetened 100% cranberry juice
    2tbsp lemon juice
    1tbsp ACV
    Then a cup or more of flat or sparkling water!
    It's not too bad, I am able to get it down every morning!!
    What exact “toxins” do you think it’s removing, and by what biological mechanism/process does drinking vinegar remove “toxins” from your body?
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My grandmother believed in drinking ACV for what ails you. She died of a massive stroke in 1968. The ACV woo has been around for a *long* time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    0ov8l3ap4h3z.jpg

Drinking vinegar: It's a thing. Organic, with pure, natural flavorings. Only about 30 calories per ounce, and full of flavor.

Mix with an ounce of vodka, then fill the glass with ice and plain sparkling water (like La Croix). Lemon wedge on the rim.

That's the way to drink ACV. Delish! ;)
  • czmiles926
    czmiles926 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    AVC is actually really good for your skin. I use a toner made with 1 part AVC to 2 parts boiled water. It tightens your pores and respects your skins naturally acidic pH without drying your skin out.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Drinking vinegar: It's a thing. Organic, with pure, natural flavorings. Only about 30 calories per ounce, and full of flavor.

Mix with an ounce of vodka, then fill the glass with ice and plain sparkling water (like La Croix). Lemon wedge on the rim.

The Italians also drink vinegars as an aperitif - I think there was a foodie craze for drinking fancy vinegars a few years back, including vinegar bars and mixed drinks with vinegar. That shrub thing looks good - lemon & ginger are a couple of my favorite things - I'm going to have to try it (without the vodka). My grandma's recipe books had recipes for "shrubs", never knew what they were.

Their site is here - I might have to get me a sampler box:

https://www.mcclarybros.com
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

The Italians also drink vinegars as an aperitif - I think there was a foodie craze for drinking fancy vinegars a few years back, including vinegar bars and mixed drinks with vinegar. That shrub thing looks good - lemon & ginger are a couple of my favorite things - I'm going to have to try it (without the vodka). My grandma's recipe books had recipes for "shrubs", never knew what they were.

There's a local Thai restaurant that also has a number of drinking vinegars.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

I've had the apple pie one, too. Also tasty! :) (But I actually like ACV. ;) ).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd try it.

I also think it might be a funny office holiday party gift (where way too many people just go with alcohol of some sort).
  • blambo61
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I started making refrigerator pickles this summer with home grown cucumbers. My wife became an addict and I was lucky to get any! That is about the only way I like vinegar (dill pickles). Other than than that it is only for medicinal purposes for me (gout help, etc.).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I adore pickles. A friend of mine used to make them at home, and I really should. I love everything pickled and also vinegar in many uses (or just to top foods).

Maybe that's why the idea of taking it like medicine seems so icky to me. IMO, foods should be consumed in a way that's enjoyable, and if you choke it down or have to hide it, that seems wrong to me. (I also don't like adding fiber just as fiber, vs. eating foods that are naturally high in fiber.) I realize this is my issue to some extent. ;-)
  • blambo61
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I adore pickles. A friend of mine used to make them at home, and I really should. I love everything pickled and also vinegar in many uses (or just to top foods).

Maybe that's why the idea of taking it like medicine seems so icky to me. IMO, foods should be consumed in a way that's enjoyable, and if you choke it down or have to hide it, that seems wrong to me. (I also don't like adding fiber just as fiber, vs. eating foods that are naturally high in fiber.) I realize this is my issue to some extent. ;-)

If it will kill a gout attack, I don't care how it tastes or if I take it like medicine. It is well worth it!
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I recently took a small amount for an upset tummy and it did help with that.