A gastric band company to me put weight ON!

Options
12346»

Replies

• forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if I'm being redundant, but You need to see if your husband is willing to go to therapy with you. He needs to realize that you have an addiction to food. This addiction is no different from a drug addiction and just as deadly. By keeping things In the house such as cakes, which you love, he is tempting you. It's no better than waving a bag of dope in front of a drug addict. Sure it may be tough on him for awhile, but if he loves you he should care more about your health than his desire to eat cake. I wish you the best of luck in your journey and hope you get the help you need.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    What I see here is an addict making excuses and looking for an easy way out. You stopped drugs, you know what to do, do it. Go to Overeaters Anonymous. work your steps. Do whatever you have to do to work a program. There is no easy way out of anything. You ARE an addict. If you got off drugs, you should know this. Stop looking for excuses, stop looking for the miracle cure. It's not there. Work. Get support. Work some more.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think this is redundant at this point, but just to add to the encouragement - counseling is definitely in order and weight loss surgery is definitely not.

Seek the counseling to help you get to the root of your addiction problems and begin to move forward. Whether that means a 12-step program, a psychologist, whatever your research leads you to.....

Avoid the weight loss surgery because it is simply the wrong answer for you - very dangerous. You can't binge after surgery without a very real risk of serious harm to yourself.

And if your head isn't in the right place, it wouldn't solve anything anyway. Even if done "just so", it's really just a tool - I know several very overweight people who have had WLS in years past, at least one of whom is dealing with some relatively serious permanent health issues because of malabsorption, etc, and one who may have to have her surgery re-done because of a rare complication.

Take care, honey.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS

Psychiatrist? They are the worst offenders. Please seek a therapist that is not too main-stream and will not recommend ridiculous medications and give you ridiculous diagnosis. You do not have a disease you just have an overeating issue and you need to recognize that it is your fault, you put food in your mouth nobody forced it down your throat. You have proven to yourself with your 16pounds weight loss that this is not a disease and it a matter or control. The sooner you stop blaming your eating habits on a "disease" the better.

With that said, I You do not need GP.

You don't have much experience with mental health issues, and that is okay, you're young. But the advice that you just gave the OP could kill her. Think before you type.

Father is a pharmacist, sister is in med school, mother is RN, cousins are medical doctors and pharmacists and I am in the medical field so yea I don't know what I am saying.

You saying that my advice could kill the OP is an ignorant, inflammatory and uncalled for tatement to make. Please educate yourself in this issue. If you don't know where to start you can start by reading a book called "Toxic Psychiatry" by Dr. Peter Breggin M.D. He is a Harvard educated Psychiatrist and have been in the field for 50 years.

Tell me about YOUR medical degree. I have enough doctors in my family to respect their expertise. Medical degrees are not hereditary. If you work in the medical field, you should know that you cannot make a diagnosis over the internet. Telling the OP that she doesn't have a disease based on your review is absurd. What is ignorant and uncalled for is telling the OP, who may very well have real mental health issues, that she doesn't have any real problems and she just needs to drop a few pounds.

Not only do I have a degree in the medical field but I am also still studying and going for a second degree. The OP does not have a disease however, she does have issues with overeating which should be addressed.

FYI being a housewife doesn't make you an expert in this issue.

So you decided to ignore all the thing the op admitted . The OP admitted to being a drug addict , anorexic , binge eater and being Bipolar.

That's not an issue , that's mental illness. Her issues go beyond eating to much and she needs professional help.

And your point is?

She said that she has lost 16 pounds on her own which means that she has more control than she thinks. She may have disordered eating problems but definitely does not have a disease. A person with a disease would have zero control. She needs counseling yes but I feel that it is important for her to seek the kind of counseling that would target the problem instead of try to make a buck or two by prescribing her medications.

Okay, sorry......I tried, but.....east2west14, having a Bachelor's degree in an indeterminate field somehow vaguely related to medicine doesn't give you the win on this one. Knowing doctors or claiming familial relationships with them doesn't prove your point. And bashing someone for being a housewife or for being older than you (and yet - gasp! - asserting herself in the face of your disagreement) certainly does not bring your argument home.

Most importantly, the fact that the OP has lost some weight while also exploring and actively seeking dangerous, ill-informed, and certainly poorly fitted options, does not prove that she has "controlled" herself out of her addictive, harmful thinking, nor addressed the reasons for it in the first place.

I'm certainly not making light of her recent success, by any means. I recognize the effort that has taken and commend her for it.

Neither am I suggesting that everyone who has questions about their lifestyle or prospective changes to it requires psychotherapy; less so, medication. However, for a person with long-standing harmful habits who has proven a lack of understanding of her own behavior or of a healthy way out of it, and who has shuffled the harmful patterns from one area of her life to another, "power through with your big girl panties on" probably isn't the most effective advice.....
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    OK I reread the op and have something else:
    WLS is NOT for people with binge eating disorders!!! You could burst your stomach open or make your GB move (one of the complications...).
    I'm no doctor but I'd suggest a psychiatrist before WLS

Psychiatrist? They are the worst offenders. Please seek a therapist that is not too main-stream and will not recommend ridiculous medications and give you ridiculous diagnosis. You do not have a disease you just have an overeating issue and you need to recognize that it is your fault, you put food in your mouth nobody forced it down your throat. You have proven to yourself with your 16pounds weight loss that this is not a disease and it a matter or control. The sooner you stop blaming your eating habits on a "disease" the better.

With that said, I You do not need GP.

You don't have much experience with mental health issues, and that is okay, you're young. But the advice that you just gave the OP could kill her. Think before you type.

Father is a pharmacist, sister is in med school, mother is RN, cousins are medical doctors and pharmacists and I am in the medical field so yea I don't know what I am saying.

You saying that my advice could kill the OP is an ignorant, inflammatory and uncalled for tatement to make. Please educate yourself in this issue. If you don't know where to start you can start by reading a book called "Toxic Psychiatry" by Dr. Peter Breggin M.D. He is a Harvard educated Psychiatrist and have been in the field for 50 years.

Tell me about YOUR medical degree. I have enough doctors in my family to respect their expertise. Medical degrees are not hereditary. If you work in the medical field, you should know that you cannot make a diagnosis over the internet. Telling the OP that she doesn't have a disease based on your review is absurd. What is ignorant and uncalled for is telling the OP, who may very well have real mental health issues, that she doesn't have any real problems and she just needs to drop a few pounds.

Not only do I have a degree in the medical field but I am also still studying and going for a second degree. The OP does not have a disease however, she does have issues with overeating which should be addressed.

FYI being a housewife doesn't make you an expert in this issue.

So you decided to ignore all the thing the op admitted . The OP admitted to being a drug addict , anorexic , binge eater and being Bipolar.

That's not an issue , that's mental illness. Her issues go beyond eating to much and she needs professional help.

And your point is?

She said that she has lost 16 pounds on her own which means that she has more control than she thinks. She may have disordered eating problems but definitely does not have a disease. A person with a disease would have zero control. She needs counseling yes but I feel that it is important for her to seek the kind of counseling that would target the problem instead of try to make a buck or two by prescribing her medications.

Okay, sorry......I tried, but.....east2west14, having a Bachelor's degree in an indeterminate field somehow vaguely related to medicine doesn't give you the win on this one. Knowing doctors or claiming familial relationships with them doesn't prove your point. And bashing someone for being a housewife or for being older than you (and yet - gasp! - asserting herself in the face of your disagreement) certainly does not bring your argument home.

Most importantly, the fact that the OP has lost some weight while also exploring and actively seeking dangerous, ill-informed, and certainly poorly fitted options, does not prove that she has "controlled" herself out of her addictive, harmful thinking, nor addressed the reasons for it in the first place.

I'm certainly not making light of her recent success, by any means. I recognize the effort that has taken and commend her for it.

Neither am I suggesting that everyone who has questions about their lifestyle or prospective changes to it requires psychotherapy; less so, medication. However, for a person with long-standing harmful habits who has proven a lack of understanding of her own behavior or of a healthy way out of it, and who has shuffled the harmful patterns from one area of her life to another, "power through with your big girl panties on" probably isn't the most effective advice.....

Ignorance is bliss
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Ignorance is bliss

A. What happened to leaving the discussion and "letting someone else have the last word"?

B. If you consider us all so ignorant, why don't you enlighten us? You could start with your specific degree, and no, "bachelor's" and "medical field" don't count. Medicine is a large field. I don't expect to give psychological advice, nor do I expect my therapist to perform surgery. If you want people to respect you because you have a medical degree, it works better if you're not so vague (assuming, of course, that your degree is actually even remotely related to the matter at hand).

C. How do you know that those 16 pounds the OP lost were actually done in a healthy matter and not, oh, I don't know, binging and purging? The fact that she lost weight, without any other context other than that she's on MFP (which isn't much, given the number of pro-ana people are on here, even if they keep a low profile to avoid getting kicked), is no indication that how she did it was in any way a healthy manner.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Why does every "I need your help post" on MFP turn into "I know more than you do"?
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Why does every "I need your help post" on MFP turn into "I know more than you do"?

So true. Because people are remarkably self-indulgent.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It is really difficult for me because I have NEVER had a healthy relationship with food. From an early age my mum called me a fat cow leading me to be anorexic for years. Suddenly the anorexia stopped and the bingeing started. I really need psychological help. Am thinking of going to overeaters anonymous.

That's probably your best option at the moment. OA has had a lot of success (probably more than psychology, if the truth be told) in helping people to deal with binge eating.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I feel sorry for you you are in your 30s and somebody's mother, have some class and know when to quit. You do not always have to have the last word. This proves that age doesn't always equal wisdom. For your information darling I do have my bachelors and a housewife is not degree. Go get yours. I am going to leave this discussion, you can have the last word.

What is your problem with housewives? Really, your best attack, now, is that you think I don't work outside the home? First, that's a ridiculous thing to judge someone by. Again, as you grow older, you'll see that circumstances change, it might make sense in your own family for you to not work outside the home.

Second - I agree that a housewife is not a degree, a housewife is a person. I have a BA in Economics and J.D. I am an attorney. While I appreciate that I'm not a doctor and therefore can't diagnose the OP, I am very good at finding flaws in logic and reasoning. And that is why your posts are so disturbing to me.

(Edited to fix quotes)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is impossible to not have alcoholic foods in the house as husband loves his cake!

Make a list of your binge triggers. Don't eat them ever again. Not a sliver. Not a slice. Not if it's a special occasion. Never.

There will come a time where these foods don't hold power over you.

This is very true. Those foods no longer have any power over me. I can have one cookie now, and not feel as though I have to eat half of the plate. But here is the real miracle--I find that all sweet treats are much too sweet now (after strictly staying away from them for three years) and I really prefer more nourishing food, like a piece of watermelon or a nice dish of strawberries. Some of it is a matter of retraining the palate and the rest--the emotional side, is learning that short term pleasure often leads to long-term pain. Good luck.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have a higher bmi than you do and there's no way I would be getting a gb but as others have said, if you have a problem with binge eating this isn't just a magic thing that's automatically going to transform your thinking too, it's not a hunger thing if you binge eat, it's a mental thing I used to have a horrible problem with that too but if you stick to it, it will quit and you will be able to lose the weight on your own don't do something so drastic that would make you have to change that much for the rest of your life