“Red light foods”

Options

Replies

• maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm an absolute monster when the chips and salsa come out at a Mexican restaurant. I'm seriously putting them into my mouth the entire time I'm there haha. Cheese is another one, along with sun chips. The garden salsa ones leave me weak at the knees :neutral:
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Hasenpfeffer does it for me. I just can't get enough hasenpfeffer. :anguished:

4rxhhkpt6mc3.png
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Cherry Garcia Ben N Jerrys that pint stands no chance with me. sadly they make a larger container for which I must stay away from all together. B)
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,816 Member
    Options
    Brownies or cake. Also, I can't have cookie butter in the house. I had to just leave that one since it's so addicting
  • mstein9641
    mstein9641 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Flaming hot cheetoes and olive oil with bread
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh that Kind of red light. I was expecting something completely different coming into this thread. Um now I feel like I should answer though. I had no foods that I avoided completely, but certainly many that I opted to moderate so I'd have enough in my budget for feeling satisfied in terms of hunger. Standard stuff like ice cream or candy or chocolate cake etc.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Certain potato chip brands (not all, thankfully) can not pass over my door step: Cape Cod Salt & Vinegar, any and all Dirty Chip brand, Middleswarth - especially BBQ. I also am powerless against Extreme Cheddar Gold Fish Crackers, several local pizzas (primarily fried Sicilian and local, Old Forge style), and buffalo wings.
    And, while I can easily resist cake and cookies, it's best I never come across Tasty Cake Lemon Pie or Kandy Cakes. These are things that I can't eat in moderation. Best to avoid save for holiday's or special occasions.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I cannot keep honey scooby doo graham snacks in my house.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    This is going to sound insane, but...apples. I don't crave them specifically the way people are describing here. But if I eat one, because it's fall and I just think apples taste like fall or because they're in the house, seriously I binge like hell a few hours later on every single food I can get my hands on. I have NEVER been able to figure this out.

When I have binged (with this apples exception) it has rarely been in reaction to the presence of or even actually eating one food specifically but rather, the perceived larger quantities and larger variety I felt others were eating (the "it's not fair" syndrome). So I would binge on a giant variety of food in just these large quantities. But it could have been Doritos. It could have been El Pollo Loco chicken. It could have been rice, grapes, peanut butter, burger meat, cereal, tater tots...anything.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I’m a sucker for doughnuts and pastries. I think it’s the sugar and fat combo that gets me going. Almost anything else these days I can find an acceptable substitute. Like when I want peanut butter, I’m good with Fage 0 plain yogurt with a tbs of Quest peanut butter powder stirred in. For pizza, I use a cauliflower crust. Rather than ice cream, I eat protein fluff. There is zero acceptable substitute for Krispy Kreme glazed hot.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Poutine. Too afraid to start.

I haven’t been in a Red Robins since I’ve lost weight.

I had to google poutine. Oh wow, I see the problem with this one lol!

Anyway, my red light food is a cheesy snack called Twisties. I'm just an overgrown child apparently.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Poutine. Too afraid to start.

I haven’t been in a Red Robins since I’ve lost weight.

I love poutine! My only saving grace is I'm American and unless the restaurant did their research, poutine is usually not done quite right. Fattening, either way, but not worth the calories if not proper. :smile:
  • Frederike1980
    Frederike1980 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have so many... cookies, pie, chocolate, icecream. It bothers me that I can't enjoy them in moderation. I really wish I could. I tried the approach of "keep all types of food around and eventually your body will learn to regulate itself" years ago but gained 15 lbs in a month and then I got too scared and went back to my usual strategy of keeping trigger foods out of the house. Sigh.
  • pbbananacoffeechocolate
    Options
    Tim's Cascade Jalapeno Chips. I will eat them all and then lick the bag clean!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have no red foods as such because I believe you crave food more when you say you can't have it. Well that is the case for me at any rate. I do however have foods that I either don't eat or only eat occasionally. This is when the enjoyment of the food is less than the calories sacrificed to eat the food. This includes sweets, cakes, cookies, chips, store bought pizza (homemade is so much nicer) and cheese. I do however make sure I have room for dark chocolate and nuts every day and I'll walk a few hours just to create enough room for my all time favourite, chicken parmigiana every few weeks.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my kryptonite, I can eat it all, and I want to eat it all. I am like a wild animal. So, much to my dismay, I only have ice cream when I go out to dinner. It is better that way.
    Other foods I can eat mindlessly, but not to as much excess as ice cream, are: chocolate, biscuits (cookies), cheese, the vegetarian gummy sweets from Marks and Spencers (omg so good), and most sugary things actually.
    I try not to have that stuff in the house because all it takes is a stressful day or a moment of anxiety and I have inhaled a million calories which makes me feel worse.

You can get vegetarian gummies? I am so jealous.

Yes they are amazing!

• daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    For me "red light food" is any kind of food that comes in a "snackable" form, no matter how bad or healthy it is. I guess, in my case snack form of food triggers some compulsive behavior that's hard to control.
    Weather it's nuts, dried fruit, popcorn etc, it doesn't matter, as long as it's snackable.

Also I have figured out that some taste combinations, like sour-sweet, don't trigger satiation signals as for example only sweet food or fatty food.
  • helena99716
    helena99716 Posts: 62 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't really have any "red light foods". I allow myself to eat everything in moderation. Once a month, I'll have a whole pizza, it's just one day out of 30, anyway. I use it as a way to track my progress, as weird as it sounds, since I used to eat a whole large pizza on my own, now I can't finish a children's pizza, and that feels nice. :blush:

But when I shop for groceries, I tend to avoid buying chocolate, so I don't get tempted. I'll still spend about 20 minutes looking at all the options though. :D
    You're not alone in this, stick to not buying any ice cream or chocolate (if you can), and you'll see that, with time, the cravings will subside, and when you feel ready, you can start teaching yourself to be satisfied with one portion. Give yourself time and patience, changing the way of life you've had for years can't be done in a day. :smile:
  • blackcars7411
    blackcars7411 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    White Chocolate kit kats. The bag of minis I have no control when it comes to those. I just. Ive tried buying them & eating 1 serving a day, doesnt work, try 1 bag a day. I just cant buy the at all anymore cuz i know what will happen. Did try to go for a lighter chocolate called skinny cow chocolate bars. They are 110 calories per bar. I did starttong off, but soon waa eating whole bags of those in one sitting. There are 6 in a bag. Cant buy those anymore either.