Anyone have any results working out two hours or day

Options

Replies

• sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a week or so ago I worked out for 3 hours and saw undeniable results the very next day. I was sore as hell.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I do an hour every day walking the dog plus an hour or more running, biking or hiking. It has nothing to do with my weight loss/maintenance. I do it because it's what I enjoy doing. It also allows me to eat more calories, which I appreciate. But since I get a lot more hungry when I'm doing more exercise, it's kind of a wash.

I lost weight by eating less than I was burning. I gained it when I ate more than I was burning.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to eat fewer calories than you burn. Cardio burns calories, which can help create a calorie deficit. But 2 hrs of cardio a day sounds crashingly boring, not to mention a perfect recipe for burn out, exhaustion, and/or injury.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Isn't two hours exercise too much?

Nope.

2 hours on a bike is just getting warmed up...

Absolutely!
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    When we're saying two hours of cardio a day, are we talking cardio that's pushing you or walking/riding/etc at a more sedate pace? Cos I do about 10 hours of running and high pace elliptical work a week and people think I'm crazy, if I upped that to 14 I think I'd start to agree. I do walk at least an hour or two a day as well but I don't really see that as cardio for me.
    So I think two hours a day of intense cardio would possibly be too much to be good for anyone but a very fit, very dedicated person, but two hours of walking and the like is perfectly sustainable. As far as weight loss, that's cico any way you look at it.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lots of people work active jobs for more than 2 hours a day.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    When we're saying two hours of cardio a day, are we talking cardio that's pushing you or walking/riding/etc at a more sedate pace? Cos I do about 10 hours of running and high pace elliptical work a week and people think I'm crazy, if I upped that to 14 I think I'd start to agree. I do walk at least an hour or two a day as well but I don't really see that as cardio for me.
    So I think two hours a day of intense cardio would possibly be too much to be good for anyone but a very fit, very dedicated person, but two hours of walking and the like is perfectly sustainable. As far as weight loss, that's cico any way you look at it.

I assumed that it must mean deliberate exercise. Walking is such a normal thing to me I forget that some people count it as exercise - to me it's a method of transport. I was easily walking more than 2 hours a day while I gained most of this weight. I think I'd find it harder to put on weight if I was running 2 hours a day (because I'd find it harder to eat that many calories, and I'd have to eat fairly sensibly to be able to run every day for that long without feeling ill), but I'd probably also do my legs in and I don't think I could fit it in with all my other responsibilities.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Anyone lose weight working out 2 hours a day everyday ? Or more ? How much weight did you lose and how many calories did you eat per day ?

On my long runs I will be running for 2 hours plus... it makes me rungry!
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    The original poster hasn't been back to answer clarifying questions. What does she mean by "2 hours of working out" each day? I have trained for and run 25 marathons so I have certainly exercised (run) for more than 2 hours at a time. I have to say that setting aside 2 hours out of every day to "workout" wouldn't be sustainable long term. If she means being active at least 2 hours per day, that's different. Another factor to consider is the person's fitness/activity level to start with.
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Isn't two hours exercise too much?

Nope.

2 hours on a bike is just getting warmed up...

:o
  • Machka9
    Options
    My past week ...

Nov 18 - 162.3 km cycling (507 min) ... November Century!! ...That's about 8.5 hours.
    Nov 19 - 3.2 km walking (40 min)
    Nov 20 - 7.1 km walking (88 min)
    Nov 21 - 7.6 km walking (95 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min) ... Total: 1 h 43 min
    Nov 22 - 10.9 km walking (136 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min) ... Total: 2 h 24 min
    Nov 23 - 11 km walking (137 min) + 12 flights of stairs (9 min) ... Total: 2 h 26 min
    Nov 24 - 7.6 km walking (95 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min) ... Total: 1 h 46 min
    Nov 25 - 50 km cycling (148 min) + 1.6 km walking (20 min) ... Total: 2 h 48 min

That's 1302 min in 8 days ... 162.75 min per day or 2 hours and 43 minutes a day on average. And that's nothing out of the ordinary for me. :)

Unfortunately, exercising that little only allows me to maintain my weight. If I want to lose weight, I have to increase my exercise quantity or eat less.

Incidentally, regarding the November Century ... my husband and I have been cycling one 100-mile ride each month of the year since January. I've done this in 2003, 2005, 2006, missed it by one month in 2008, and 2011. It's called a CAM (Century-A-Month) Challenge.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Anyone have any results doing cardio for two hours or more than two hours . What was your weight loss results ? How many calories did you eat .

So many questions I have.

Is this walking? Running? An indoor cardio machine of some sort?

Are you doing 2+ hours and not losing weight? Are you doing this every single day? Are you using 2+ hours of cardio to try and create your calorie deficit? How many calories are you eating? etc etc etc

Case in point here, hoping that unless a person is an excessive exerciser or is abusing exercise in some way for weight loss, doing cardio for 2+ hours would be specifically for fitness related or specified training goals like long distance running, cycling etc...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Going from largely sedentary to 2 hours of intense-ish cardio per day is not realistic. Obviously some trained people do that much per day and more (although I'd think they'd also need to fit in some rest days).

If someone is largely sedentary, adding in 2 hours of less intense exercise, like walking, could be extremely helpful, but even there I'd work up -- going from nothing to 2 hours is a LOT of time for most people and strikes me as risking burn out.

If one loves working out (or one's sport) that much, I think it's a great thing to do, but it may (or may not) be useful for weight loss -- IMO, controlling one's diet is the first and most significant thing, and if OP is hoping not to have to do that I think she's on the wrong track. And if OP thinks that there are weight loss benefits to exercising that much or that it's necessary, that's also wrong.

For person experience, the most intense exercise I've ever done was when I was training for a half ironman in 2015, and I did do 2 hours or more of somewhat intense exercise most days (I had an active rest day every week). That level of exercise made it impossible for me to control my calories, and I did not lose any weight (I probably even managed to gain a bit). On the other hand, I've generally been able to lose some training for half marathons or when I first did an olympic distance tri and trained for that.

The best exercise program for losing weight for me was when I was riding my bike a ton but not in a way I perceived as super intense.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    In the summer months I cycle 50kms 2-3 times a week and 30 kms twice a week. I do this because it really is fun and we have some very interesting and scenic bike paths along the river and through trails. This is coupled with strength training a few times a week. This ends up averaging about two or so hours a day. Did I lose weight? Sure, but only because I was in a caloric deficit. I had a few weeks at the beginning of the season where I actually gained because I was sooo hungry. This is normal for me. Now that winter has hit, I have to be more mindful of my eating as there is no way in hell I'm going to bike indoors for 2 hours, how boring is that!
    I could just as easily do nothing and keep the same deficit and lose at the same rate.
    All this to say I exercise for health and fun and eat at a deficit for weightloss. Also exercise lets me eat way more food so thats another reason I do it.
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My past week ...

Nov 18 - 162.3 km cycling (507 min) ... November Century!! ...That's about 8.5 hours.
    Nov 21 - 7.6 km walking (95 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min) ... Total: 1 h 43 min
    Nov 22 - 10.9 km walking (136 min) + 10 flights of stairs (8 min) ... Total: 2 h 24 min
    Nov 23 - 11 km walking (137 min) + 12 flights of stairs (9 min) ... Total: 2 h 26 min
    Nov 24 - 7.6 km walking (95 min) + 14 flights of stairs (11 min) ... Total: 1 h 46 min
    Nov 25 - 50 km cycling (148 min) + 1.6 km walking (20 min) ... Total: 2 h 48 min

That's 1302 min in 8 days ... 162.75 min per day or 2 hours and 43 minutes a day on average. And that's nothing out of the ordinary for me. :)

Unfortunately, exercising that little only allows me to maintain my weight. If I want to lose weight, I have to increase my exercise quantity or eat less.

Incidentally, regarding the November Century ... my husband and I have been cycling one 100-mile ride each month of the year since January. I've done this in 2003, 2005, 2006, missed it by one month in 2008, and 2011. It's called a CAM (Century-A-Month) Challenge.

Wow. I could have never been that active. What is your age & height & weight?
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I quite often do two hours at the gym, the outcome is I am much healthier. I do cardio and weights. I am loosing weight as well, but that is down to the calorie deficit. The gym does help with keeping that deficit, but it's not the main benefit.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My past week ...

Wow. I could have never been that active. What is your age & height & weight?

You've got to build up to it. I've always been active, since I could first crawl, but I really started deliberately including exercise in my day in 1990 and have kept it up ever since.

I'm 50 and am within my normal BMI range. I had slid into overweight at the end of 2014, and lost the weight in 2015. I'm not as active as I was in my early 30s, but I am gradually building up to that again.

On page 1 of this challenge, I've listed my hours of exercise since I started with MFP.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10606853/november-2017-walk-jog-run-bike-steps-challenge/p1

But back in 1990, I was walking several km each day, but then one day decided to add cycling. I had done a lot of cycling until about the age of 17 and then stopped for a while. So April 29,1990, I hopped on the bicycle again hoping to go for a decent ride ... and managed 2 miles. Plus I had to take a break after the first mile.

By the end of that summer, I had built up to a 50 mile ride. In 1994, I cycled my first century (100 mile ride). And I've done a whole lot of long distance cycling (centuries and longer) since then.

If you'd suggested the length of rides I do now to me on April 29,1990 ... I would have laughed. I would never thought it possible. But it's just one step at a time, gradually building up, and next thing you know ... :)