Anyone have any results working out two hours or day

Replies

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    OP 2 hours a day is so not necessary to losing weight. I lost the bulk of mine before I could even run a sustained 5k. Calorie deficit through diet for weight loss, exercise for enriching your life imho.

Also I just wanted to echo @Machka9 that while being conditioned to a 2+ hour a day cardio load before taking it on is vital, that it isn't anything crazy :/ . I love to run so I prioritize that in my busy life. This is just my copy and pasted running log from the November Running Challenge thread (I run long tomorrow thus the two consecutive off days), I walk so much between carting my kids around town and running errands I don't even bother tracking that- laziness on my part I guess haha! Definitely want to be like @Machka9 when (if?) I grow up and stay very active for life :)

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20
    November 4- 42
    November 5- 20
    November 6- 18
    November 7- 18
    November 8- 19
    November 9- 18
    November 10- 28+6
    November 11- 38
    November 12- 20
    November 13- Off
    November 14- 19
    November 15- 19
    November 16- 24
    November 17- 25
    November 18- 52
    November 19- 23
    November 20- 22+10
    November 21- 14+8
    November 22- 20
    November 23- 15+7
    November 24- Off
    November 25- Off

553/500km
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I worked out for 2 hours today because I ran 11 miles in training for a half marathon.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    It really depends on diet. I'm 52, and I would say for 30 years of my life I did 2 hours (at least of exercise per day) and did not lose weight. I wasn't doing it to lose weight. I would run 4 miles each morning, and then later in the day, ice skate, take a dance class (1.5 hours) or two, or swim for an hour. Look at all the college and pro athletes. Usually they are practicing at least 4 hours a day, 6-7 days a week and they do not lose weight. They maintain because they are eating at maintenance.

You can burn off some calories with exercise. I usually will put in 11 hours of exercise per week now--including 6-7 hours of walking, swimming, cycling and zumba classes. With the exception of zumba, MFP says I burn about 400 calories in a day. I eat back most of my exercise calories. I have been losing 2 lbs. a week (SW: 237, CW: 206, GW:137) but I'm mostly losing because of 1000 calorie deficit coming from my eating. I just switched to 1 lb. per week, so I'm cutting back 500 cals in food, and will eat back less of my calories--probably 50-75%, for a while. Although today I ate them all back!

As others have said, and I agree, you cannot depend on exercise to create the deficit. Also, if one is working a job, it can be challenging to put in that many hours.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    Also, if one is working a job, it can be challenging to put in that many hours.

Exercise as part of commute.
    Exercise during lunch hour.
    Get an extra hour or so in right after work.
    Weekends. :)

• Machka9
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    OP 2 hours a day is so not necessary to losing weight. I lost the bulk of mine before I could even run a sustained 5k. Calorie deficit through diet for weight loss, exercise for enriching your life imho.

Also I just wanted to echo @Machka9 that while being conditioned to a 2+ hour a day cardio load before taking it on is vital, that it isn't anything crazy :/ . I love to run so I prioritize that in my busy life. This is just my copy and pasted running log from the November Running Challenge thread (I run long tomorrow thus the two consecutive off days), I walk so much between carting my kids around town and running errands I don't even bother tracking that- laziness on my part I guess haha! Definitely want to be like @Machka9 when (if?) I grow up and stay very active for life :)

Thanks! :)

I still don't feel like I've grown up! All the cycling and walking is just too much fun. :grin: Plus my husband is twelve years older than me (he's 62), works a physically active job 5+ days a week, and joins me on the evening and weekend cycling and walks. I look at him for inspiration!
  • ttreit
    ttreit Posts: 59 Member
    I used to hate the gym but now I love it. I walk, use the elliptical, lift, etc. I go at a pace that I enjoy and push myself to walk more miles or increase incline or lift more weight than I did last week. I just compete with myself. By starting small and going every day I find myself craving the gym, which I never in a million years thought would happen.

You can lose weight doing nothing but eating at a deficit but you’re losing fat, water, and muscle and not necessarily becoming much more fit. If you work on fitness rather than just weight loss the weight comes off (probably more slowly) but you feel better in your day to day life. At least that’s my experience.

It really comes down to what your goals are. There’s certainly nothing wrong with starting with a focus on weight loss but personally I think overall health and fitness is best. Two hours in the gym is awesome - just keep it fun because if you hate it you will quit.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I used to do between 90 and 150 minutes, 5 - 6 days per week, sometimes longer if I had a long bike ride, but I was supremely fit back then and it took me time to build up to it. At that times, I was doing cycling, running, walking, boxing, circuit training, stationary bike ... just about everything and it was a huge focus for me. I also had to eat an awful lot to fuel that amount of activity...which was enjoyable, but eventually, I did burn out. Now, I tend to just do 4 times per week of 60 - 90 minutes intense activity and 7-14k steps per day and eat considerably less.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    I need at least 90mins of walking per day just to relax. I only go past that if I'm enjoying my walk. I'd never try to do 2 hours of exercise just for calorie burn though, I can't imagine that would be enough to motivate me to continue it for that reason alone. But if you do it and you love doing it, then I'm not going to say don't.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yet people have no problem working a job and plopping their butt on the couch for more than 2 hours a day of television, video games internet surfing, etc.

Absolutely. People have time to do what they really want to do.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I have had amazing results from working out less than two hours per week (while losing). For me it's all about quality vs. quantity.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member

Yet people have no problem working a job and plopping their butt on the couch for more than 2 hours a day of television, video games internet surfing, etc.

Absolutely. People have time to do what they really want to do.

Well, since I haven't watched TV since the 1970s and I'm one of the people who works out everyday, in spite of having 2 careers, 2 businesses and hobbies to boot, I can't claim to have ever plopped my butt on the couch for two hours a day! I wasn't even allowed to do that as a child except for Saturday morning cartoons!

I can't speak for those people but I'll take your word for it that they exist and could fit it into their days by eliminating time on the couch!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

When people feel worn out or like they've had a stressful day, it's sometimes hard to get the energy/will to go exercise vs. a fast and immediate pleasure like just vegging or something they think of as relaxation and not just more work. Often they'd actually feel better (and even more relaxed) if they worked out to de-stress instead, but it's far less immediate and takes time before you realize that will be the result.

I was thinking about this (oddly!) when running yesterday, because it was one of those runs where it took a couple of miles for the pleasure to kick in and although I was then really enjoying it my mind wanders when I run and I was thinking about how it's not surprising that people will choose quick ways to relax (TV, food, a drink) vs. exercise often. Even I have to talk myself into it sometimes, and I KNOW how much better it makes me feel.

I totally understand (even if it's something I fight with in myself) why someone who gets up, does chores, commutes to a stressful or (sometimes) unpleasant or not liked job, commutes home, cooks, deals with kid stuff, whatever, may feel like their 2 free hours before bed need to be something fun or relaxing or social with the family and choose TV, vs. yet more work/chores (how they think of exercise).

This is even assuming that you are correct about the people saying they lack time being the same ones who watch the TV and also assuming that working out is possible (you can watch TV when kids are asleep, but may not be able to go out to exercise or have a space where you can exercise indoors easily).

I don't really see the point of being snotty or overly judgmental about people who are purely hypothetical anyway. If someone asks for how to find time or why or how to fit it in when they are tired, there are probably ways to be encouraging without suggesting that they must just be spending all their free time watching TV.

(For example, for me that I can combine commuting and exercise often makes it way easier. I know not everyone is able to do that, so in that way I am lucky.)

Agree with @TimothyFish people in general find time for what they want to do. Not snotty or judgmental at all. You don't need to exercise 2 hours a day, but do a few searches concerning the non-work time spent by the average US adult vs the exercise time, you can see what people are choosing to do.

They are finding time to do what they want to do and it's generally a poor choice.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I exercise an hr or 2 (and sometimes 3 or 4) a day (except on weekends when I usually rest) but I can also sit in front of the TV and computer 4-6 hrs (or more) a day too.

It's what I do but yet I am as fit and healthy (perhaps even more) than people younger than my 67 years of age by any objective metric including but not limited to BP, cholesterol levels, blood glucose, BMI & BF%.

There are a lot of ways to remain healthy and fit and they cannot necessarily be measured strictly in terms of one's net level activity or inactivity.
  • Machka9

When people feel worn out or like they've had a stressful day, it's sometimes hard to get the energy/will to go exercise vs. a fast and immediate pleasure like just vegging or something they think of as relaxation and not just more work. Often they'd actually feel better (and even more relaxed) if they worked out to de-stress instead, but it's far less immediate and takes time before you realize that will be the result.

I was thinking about this (oddly!) when running yesterday, because it was one of those runs where it took a couple of miles for the pleasure to kick in and although I was then really enjoying it my mind wanders when I run and I was thinking about how it's not surprising that people will choose quick ways to relax (TV, food, a drink) vs. exercise often. Even I have to talk myself into it sometimes, and I KNOW how much better it makes me feel.

I totally understand (even if it's something I fight with in myself) why someone who gets up, does chores, commutes to a stressful or (sometimes) unpleasant or not liked job, commutes home, cooks, deals with kid stuff, whatever, may feel like their 2 free hours before bed need to be something fun or relaxing or social with the family and choose TV, vs. yet more work/chores (how they think of exercise).

This is even assuming that you are correct about the people saying they lack time being the same ones who watch the TV and also assuming that working out is possible (you can watch TV when kids are asleep, but may not be able to go out to exercise or have a space where you can exercise indoors easily).

I don't really see the point of being snotty or overly judgmental about people who are purely hypothetical anyway. If someone asks for how to find time or why or how to fit it in when they are tired, there are probably ways to be encouraging without suggesting that they must just be spending all their free time watching TV.

(For example, for me that I can combine commuting and exercise often makes it way easier. I know not everyone is able to do that, so in that way I am lucky.)

Agree with @TimothyFish people in general find time for what they want to do. Not snotty or judgmental at all. You don't need to exercise 2 hours a day, but do a few searches concerning the non-work time spent by the average US adult vs the exercise time, you can see what people are choosing to do.

They are finding time to do what they want to do and it's generally a poor choice.

It's all about your personal priorities.

Being active has almost always been a priority for me. It's something I look forward to, especially when I've had a tough/stressful day. Those days when I work full-time, attend university part-time, and know that I'll have to be up till 2 am working on an assignment ... those are the days when I've got to get at least a brisk walk in there somewhere or I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I exercise up to 2 hrs a day, either all cardio divided into 2 sessions or 1 hr cardio/ weights and 1 hr "stress reliever cardio". I maintain or gain if I don't make a deficit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Being active has almost always been a priority for me. It's something I look forward to, especially when I've had a tough/stressful day. Those days when I work full-time, attend university part-time, and know that I'll have to be up till 2 am working on an assignment ... those are the days when I've got to get at least a brisk walk in there somewhere or I feel like I'm going to go crazy.

I think for many people that's true, but it may be a learned thing. I have past experience where I know if I've had a stressful day that exercise is a great way to de-stress and feel better (and good for my mental health long term), but when things are at their worst is exactly when it's the biggest struggle -- especially since I'm likely to be panicking and thinking I need to go to work extra early or cannot be away from my desk or (especially) to be at work until late into the evening. When I'm in the habit, it's possible to fit exercise into the day, and then my mental state is better, I deal with stress and that feeling of mental exhaustion better, and even feel like I have more hours in the day, am more efficient in general. But if I'm not in the habit getting myself to realize that and not to think "I'm so tired, I cannot" becomes much more difficult. And that's despite the fact that from past experience I KNOW it will be beneficial and make me feel better. This is why I think starting out and learning this can be so difficult.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

I think for many people that's true, but it may be a learned thing. I have past experience where I know if I've had a stressful day that exercise is a great way to de-stress and feel better (and good for my mental health long term), but when things are at their worst is exactly when it's the biggest struggle -- especially since I'm likely to be panicking and thinking I need to go to work extra early or cannot be away from my desk or (especially) to be at work until late into the evening. When I'm in the habit, it's possible to fit exercise into the day, and then my mental state is better, I deal with stress and that feeling of mental exhaustion better, and even feel like I have more hours in the day, am more efficient in general. But if I'm not in the habit getting myself to realize that and not to think "I'm so tired, I cannot" becomes much more difficult. And that's despite the fact that from past experience I KNOW it will be beneficial and make me feel better. This is why I think starting out and learning this can be so difficult.

I actually find that getting away from whatever I'm doing for an hour or two or more is often more beneficial than sitting there trying to work on it.

When I get on my bicycle, the first hour or so is me settling into a ride, and then starting the mind-dump. I just let my head go wherever it wants to go. Sometimes that takes the whole ride, especially if the ride is shorter, but it's a relief because I've thought about all those things that are nagging at me, so I can then focus on what I need to focus on.

If the ride is longer (or the mind dump is shorter), then I go into the planning phase where I think about the assignment or projects I'm working on and sort everything out. And often I can come back, sit down, and just do the assignment or project because much of it is done in my head.

Yet if I sat in front of the computer or wherever, I would just feel increasingly frustrated.

My parents and grandparents are/were active, so I grew up being active ... I was probably fortunate to learn the benefits of being active from a very early age. :)