Q and A thread - Angus is peppered.

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Are BCAAs beneficial? I train fasted before the end of my 16 hour fast. Do they do anything?

In your case, they probably do do something. (huhuhuhhu I said "doodoo")

But beavis and butthead reference aside, it's generally a good idea to have amino acids present to mitigate muscle protein breakdown and to stimulate muscle protein synthesis in the post workout period.

BCAAs are something I generally don't recommend since they are arguably inferior to complete proteins (whey for example) and in the presence of adequate amino acids they don't do anything. Often times people will consume BCAAS in a situation where they already have amino acid availability at sufficient levels. Take for example someone who has a meal an hour before training followed by dat dere whey brotein post workout. Sippin on BCAA intra-workout isn't likely doing anything other than causing weight loss in the wallet.

However, since your question was "do they do anything" AND since you train completely fasted with (presumably) no avaialble amino acids, in your case yes.

Or a shorthand answer might be this:

Protein > BCAAs > nothing in terms of the usefulness.

Let me know if this clarifies things.

*que the guitar into for Beavis & Butthead*

That does make sense, I really appreciate it!

Hopefully more people take advantage of the knowledge here. I can say, the "sexy pants" thread is spammed often, I link it for newbies too. Thanks again!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Are BCAAs beneficial? I train fasted before the end of my 16 hour fast. Do they do anything?

In your case, they probably do do something. (huhuhuhhu I said "doodoo")

But beavis and butthead reference aside, it's generally a good idea to have amino acids present to mitigate muscle protein breakdown and to stimulate muscle protein synthesis in the post workout period.

BCAAs are something I generally don't recommend since they are arguably inferior to complete proteins (whey for example) and in the presence of adequate amino acids they don't do anything. Often times people will consume BCAAS in a situation where they already have amino acid availability at sufficient levels. Take for example someone who has a meal an hour before training followed by dat dere whey brotein post workout. Sippin on BCAA intra-workout isn't likely doing anything other than causing weight loss in the wallet.

However, since your question was "do they do anything" AND since you train completely fasted with (presumably) no avaialble amino acids, in your case yes.

Or a shorthand answer might be this:

Protein > BCAAs > nothing in terms of the usefulness.

Let me know if this clarifies things.

*que the guitar into for Beavis & Butthead*

That does make sense, I really appreciate it!

Hopefully more people take advantage of the knowledge here. I can say, the "sexy pants" thread is spammed often, I link it for newbies too. Thanks again!

Thanks, I appreciate you showing that link to people. One of these days I will go through it and consider a revision when I have less things on my plate.
  • thunderchild007
    thunderchild007 Posts: 43 Member
    As a baker, I say cake all the way. Especially carrot cake.........*drool*
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Great to see you on board again. No questions for now--but appreciate your taking time to share real knowlege.
  • wessx1
    wessx1 Posts: 58 Member
    Hi and best of luck .. cheers!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I dont understand what " Angus is peppered "means??

that is my question.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    As a baker, I say cake all the way. Especially carrot cake.........*drool*

I also prefer cake! Mostly because a lot of times pie crust is poorly done. If the crust is executed correctly a warm fruit pie is so tasty. Now if it was a question of peanut butter pie or a spicy cake...ugh I will probably just have to have both!
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Collagen peptide and hyalnauric (sic) acid powder for loose skin? Any use or did I waste pocket change?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Not a weight loss question, really more fitness. And thanks for doing this.

In my current strength training program (Starting Strength after switching from Strong Lifts), I've been at it for a little over 6 months. At 54, I have reduced from 5 workouts every 14 days to 4 for recovery purposes. Weights are getting pretty heavy (to me anyway), though I have no idea whether I'm getting close to the end of my linear progression (listed below if needed).

My question:

I have begun to experience soreness/pain (not DOMS) in my right bicep area near the elbow in between workouts. Should I rest? Or power through? It does not seem to hamper my lifts, nor is it particularly painful at the time. I've never lifted in any kind of program before, so I'm not sure if this is a common malady that I shouldn't be that concerned about or not. Thanks.

Stats:
    54/5'11"/195
    Squats 260 5/5/5
    Bench 190 5/5/5
    Press 125 5/5/5
    Deadlift 315 5
    Chinups (actually pull-ups for 4 at body weight, hammer grip chinups at body weight 5/5)
  • SideSteel
    Collagen peptide and hyalnauric (sic) acid powder for loose skin? Any use or did I waste pocket change?

I have my doubts that this will help loose skin however there does seem to be some potential benefit to collagen and skin health. This would be the primary resource I would recommend for all supplements and I pulled the entry on collagen for you if you'd like to take a look: https://examine.com/supplements/type-ii-collagen/

• SideSteel
    I dont understand what " Angus is peppered "means??

that is my question.

The original term was something potentially offensive for these boards so I won't post it, but people changed the original phrase to pepper your angus, which is something that caught on in the fitness community.
  • SideSteel

In my current strength training program (Starting Strength after switching from Strong Lifts), I've been at it for a little over 6 months. At 54, I have reduced from 5 workouts every 14 days to 4 for recovery purposes. Weights are getting pretty heavy (to me anyway), though I have no idea whether I'm getting close to the end of my linear progression (listed below if needed).

My question:

I have begun to experience soreness/pain (not DOMS) in my right bicep area near the elbow in between workouts. Should I rest? Or power through? It does not seem to hamper my lifts, nor is it particularly painful at the time. I've never lifted in any kind of program before, so I'm not sure if this is a common malady that I shouldn't be that concerned about or not. Thanks.

Stats:
    54/5'11"/195
    Squats 260 5/5/5
    Bench 190 5/5/5
    Press 125 5/5/5
    Deadlift 315 5
    Chinups (actually pull-ups for 4 at body weight, hammer grip chinups at body weight 5/5)

I'd be curious if this hurts during chin ups and I'd also be curious if you pull with a mixed grip AND if you are experiencing pain on the under-hand side of the mixed grip?

I can't diagnose anything as it's out of my wheelhouse, but if you're in doubt I'd first recommend resting it from any movements that seem to cause any issues. The two I've listed and any rowing/isolation movements involving elbow flexion are likely to be culprits.

I also have the same issue right now on my right side. I've switched to hook grip (a type of double overhand) and really light training for anything involving elbow flexion.

When it doubt, get it looked at by a physical therapist.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    My trainer has switched me from a typical powerlifting type workout to more of a hypertrophy workout (on week 3 of 6 currently). My elbows and knees are much more achy, not injured or pain, just achy. Am I just old (42)? Will milk and meatballs help?
  • SideSteel
    My trainer has switched me from a typical powerlifting type workout to more of a hypertrophy workout (on week 3 of 6 currently). My elbows and knees are much more achy, not injured or pain, just achy. Am I just old (42)? Will milk and meatballs help?

1) Yes, you are old. I'm 40, so man, you're old. Also if you are bigger and stronger than me, you're on gear.
    2) Milk and meatballs ALWAYS helps. ;)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    In for milk and meatballs.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    In for milk and meatballs.

In for any food right now... but hell milk and meatballs sound pretty darned good right now

(dealing with corticosteroid munchies due to chronic bronchitis treatment which I'll thankfully get to stop soon. Tapering off starting tomorrow.)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Hey @SideSteel!

I was wondering your opinion on something. In terms of training for aesthetic, physique purposes (mostly) do you think women benefit from different type of training than men? I know women can do what men do.. no problem there.. but for optimal results I have seen so much research indicating we should be working differently... more frequency, more volume, etc. as I have heard women have a better ability to recover and more resistant to fatigue.

Would love to hear your thoughts, thanks!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member

My question:

Stats:
    54/5'11"/195
    Squats 260 5/5/5
    Bench 190 5/5/5
    Press 125 5/5/5
    Deadlift 315 5

I'd be curious if this hurts during chin ups and I'd also be curious if you pull with a mixed grip AND if you are experiencing pain on the under-hand side of the mixed grip?

I can't diagnose anything as it's out of my wheelhouse, but if you're in doubt I'd first recommend resting it from any movements that seem to cause any issues. The two I've listed and any rowing/isolation movements involving elbow flexion are likely to be culprits.

I also have the same issue right now on my right side. I've switched to hook grip (a type of double overhand) and really light training for anything involving elbow flexion.

When it doubt, get it looked at by a physical therapist.

It does not hurt during chinups.

I do pull with a mixed grip (for working weight) - I alternate which hand is "under" from one workout to the next.. However, since adding chalk, I may be able to go back to standard grip - that made a huge difference ( I had never used it before). Grip was my limiting factor starting at about 265 pounds and I couldn't do the "hook grip".

I'll probably have it looked at and see. When I was away from the gym for about 10 days recently, it was actually worse. Thanks!