December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I tested my ankle on Wednesday and ran 2 miles outdoors on the trail. It did okay. My run wasn't that fast (for me)...13 minute miles. No pain but toward the end a lot of cartilage popping. My total for the month is 10.65 miles.

It is snowing today...so probably run a little on the treadmill and lift weights the rest of the time.

I iced my ankle for 10 minutes twice after my injury. Back in the day, RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) was the method for dealing with sprains. I doubt that minimal icing will stop or even slow down the inflammatory process that the body is going to do. It does help reduce the swelling and pain albeit temporarily. This week I am hoping to get my ankle x-rayed and then go from there. I will ask my doctor about the current research of the day. The bruising is almost gone, and wearing shoes that support the ankle seemed to help while at work.

I hope that everyone is going to have a wonderful Christmas!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Freezing rain = no run
    Goals for 2018 sub 45 10k, injury free, loose another 5 pounds
    Next year at this time I hope to be healthy, running and doing better with strength training
    More strength and speed training
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @shanaber To help strengthen your hamstring and reduce the chance of reinjury, try eccentric leg curls, where you lie face down on the bench, use both legs lift the weight and then use just one leg to lower the weight back down again in a slow controlled manner. Hamstrings don't like concentric loading, which is why you use both legs to lift the weight (that is, it should be really easy to lift the weight with both legs). Another exercise to consider is glute bridges, where you lie on your back on the floor with your feet on an exercise ball and knees bent, and then push your pelvis into the air to get your back straight in line with your thighs. Do that ten times and you'll help those hammies out no end. :smile:
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    What are your goals for this next year?
    Where do you want to be a year from now?
    How do you see your training evolving?

Goals:
    Entering my first organised 10Krun in 2018,
    Helping my husband to get back onto running (cheering him on)
    Trail running

A year from now: I want to be able to run a relatively easy 15km without feeling that is a challenge

My training: I am working on 4 times a week at present - Want to run more consistently and get stronger with the weights training added.
    I would like to get into trail running but living in this urban area where I do that may be a bit far, still it is worth a try
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    [Yuck!] <<---- that's my self made button.
    @WandaVaughn . I hope they gave you some good meds. Sounds awful. Have a great holiday!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    12/23 13.01 miles

As of today: 2065.12 miles for 2017
    December Goal: 205.95/200

What are your goals for this next year?
    Running, running and some more running...
    I want to continue to maintain my weight and fitness level.
    I do have two races, that I have been doing for two years. A charity run (10K and 5K) in June and Go Commando Half Marathon for October.

Where do you want to be a year from now?
    I want to be maintaining my weight and and running.

How do you see your training evolving?

Not sure about what evolution I will see, my main interest is running distance. I do not want to be faster/slower, just want to run.
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    December 1 - 10 km
    December 2 - 16 km
    December 3 - 5km club run / strength training
    December 4 - 12 km treadmill
    December 5 - 12 km treadmill
    December 6 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 7 - 16 km run
    December 8 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 9 - 16 km run / 11 km run
    December 10 - 5 km club run / 16 km walk
    December 11 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 12 - 10 km run
    December 13 - 12 km run
    December 14 - 16 km run
    December 15 - 18.5 km run / strength training
    December 16 - 18.5 km run
    December 17 - rest day
    December 18 - 16 km run
    December 19 - Stairmaster / Strength training
    December 20 - 16 km run
    December 21 - 16 km run
    December 22 - 16 km run
    December 23 - 12 km run
    December 24 - 16 km run

318 km - goal 350 km
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Sounds like you had a good time on the PJ run!
    @AlphaHowls Is the expectation that runners go commando for the Go Commando Half Marathon? If so, did the organizers learn nothing from Jozef Urban? :open_mouth:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @shanaber To help strengthen your hamstring and reduce the chance of reinjury, try eccentric leg curls, where you lie face down on the bench, use both legs lift the weight and then use just one leg to lower the weight back down again in a slow controlled manner. Hamstrings don't like concentric loading, which is why you use both legs to lift the weight (that is, it should be really easy to lift the weight with both legs). Another exercise to consider is glute bridges, where you lie on your back on the floor with your feet on an exercise ball and knees bent, and then push your pelvis into the air to get your back straight in line with your thighs. Do that ten times and you'll help those hammies out no end. :smile:

Thanks @garygse! I have not done the eccentric leg curls but have been doing glute bridges pretty regularly. My trainer also told me to do single leg glute bridges but when I do I get hamstring cramps. I am sure that is significant and is my hammies way of complaining loudly! The sports doc also gave me a specific set of stretching and rolling to do in order (hip flexors, glutes, quads, calves) and finishing with the hamstrings last. He also doesn't want me rolling in the tear area at all and the surrounding areas only if it isn't painful...

@WandaVaughn - hope you feel better soon and can still enjoy the holidays!
    @katharmonic - great picture but it sure looks cold!
    @Elise4270 - thanks again for posting the goals questions! I love reading everyone's responses!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Looking over my schedule for the coming days... I might be done running for the YEAR. Ugh.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Skipped my workout today and am powering through my baking. Will do my Christmas run tomorrow.

My pie dough is in the fridge. I need to do chocolate drizzle on the cookies and cut the peppermint cheesecake brownies. I'm giving stuff to friends and relatives so I don't eat it all :D:D:D
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Wow me too . Cheesecake is baking right now. Also made a bunch of cookies. This is why I need to keep running. Alright not going to eat them going to give them away I think LOL
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »

Thanks @garygse! I have not done the eccentric leg curls but have been doing glute bridges pretty regularly. My trainer also told me to do single leg glute bridges but when I do I get hamstring cramps. I am sure that is significant and is my hammies way of complaining loudly! The sports doc also gave me a specific set of stretching and rolling to do in order (hip flexors, glutes, quads, calves) and finishing with the hamstrings last. He also doesn't want me rolling in the tear area at all and the surrounding areas only if it isn't painful...

@Elise4270 - thanks again for posting the goals questions! I love reading everyone's responses!

Me too! And thanks @garygse for the hamstring exercise info!

True test of my abilities today. We're at Walmart, hungry and DH is in the bakery. I'm starving and already resisted pizza and ice cream. Now wahich pie do I want? C'mon DH. I can't say no...
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    You can do it Go protein bar