How to ACTUALLY boil an egg that peels

lilawolf
lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
If you haven't personally made boiled eggs that peeled cleanly several times, please don't answer. I've tried most (not all) of the tricks online and had the best luck with salt in the water, put the ~2 week old eggs in cold water, bring just to boil, turn off and let sit x minutes, pull eggs out and plunge into ice water.

They are ok but they NEVER peel perfect. They would never be good enough to make a pretty dish of deviled eggs. How do you do it??? (please note if your method affects the taste)

thanks!

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited November 2017
    It's almost always a hit or miss thing for me, however this seems to work best from everything I've tried ... let the eggs come to room temperature before putting into the pot and covering with the tap water. Bring to a boil relatively quickly, cover the pot and remove it from the burner if you have an electric range. I let mine sit 10 minutes. Remove to iced water ... (I don't have ice cubes, so I put a pyrex 4-cup container into the freezer to chill the water when I take the eggs out of the fridge) and let cool in that water. Keep the eggs in the water as you peel each ... take an egg out of the water, tap it all around on something to crack the shell in many places, and dip the egg back into the water to peel it under water. Remove the peeled egg to a paper towel lined dish to dry.

PS ... don't do too many eggs at once ... anytime I do more than 6 at a time I have more issues with peeling them.

PPS ... and don't start peeling at the equator, start at a tip.
  • juliegilburd
    juliegilburd Posts: 145 Member
    I have decent luck by peeling them under running water; the water helps the shell slide right off.
  • lilawolf
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    It's almost always a hit or miss thing for me, however this seems to work best from everything I've tried ... let the eggs come to room temperature before putting into the pot and covering with the tap water. Bring to a boil relatively quickly, cover the pot and remove it from the burner if you have an electric range. I let mine sit 10 minutes. Remove to iced water ... (I don't have ice cubes, so I put a pyrex 4-cup container into the freezer to chill the water when I take the eggs out of the fridge) and let cool in that water. Keep the eggs in the water as you peel each ... take an egg out of the water, tap it all around on something to crack the shell in many places, and dip the egg back into the water to peel it under water. Remove the peeled egg to a paper towel lined dish to dry.

PS ... don't do too many eggs at once ... anytime I do more than 6 at a time I have more issues with peeling them.

PPS ... and don't start peeling at the equator, start at a tip.

Hmm never thought about room temp or fewer eggs. I do think my ice bath usually gets too warm because I do a dozen at a time. I'll try that thanks.
  • lilawolf
    Thank you for all of the responses!
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I got an egg cooker on amazon for like $15. You add a little water and it auto shuts off/buzzes when they are done. I’ve had good luck with getting great hard boiled eggs, but I have to be very careful with adding the right amount of water. The shells of the eggs don’t always look pretty because I’m not the best at cleaning the thing, but they peel wonderfully and taste great! Make sure your counter is level!
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I boil my eggs for far too long. Probably close to 20 minutes. They peel OKAY when warm but if you put them in the fridge overnight, they peel perfectly. That would work well for deviled eggs, if you cook them the night before and prep the next day before heading out.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member

The Dash egg cooker (picked up at home goods for 9.99) or the Instant pot (although I prefer the Dash egg cooker because it is quicker). Perfect every time, the shells slide right off.

Note, before I used the dash egg maker, I was determined NOT to spend money on something like an egg maker. Why, right? It's just boiling water and waiting.

Well, with this silly little egg maker, its a set it and forget it kind of ritual, takes less than 10 minutes, and it has literally cut my peeling time of eggs into 1/3. So amazing to me. Simple things I guess.....
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    The best thing us to crack the egg gently in several places the minute its boiled, this stops the membrane holding on tightly to shell. Heard that tip from a chef once and it works.

7 mins once water is boiled ( pan starts off with cold water) is perfect for medium sized egg for hard boiled. 4 mins for soft.

This^. I also roll the eggs gently between my hands after cracking.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    lilawolf wrote: »
    If you haven't personally made boiled eggs that peeled cleanly several times, please don't answer. I've tried most (not all) of the tricks online and had the best luck with salt in the water, put the ~2 week old eggs in cold water, bring just to boil, turn off and let sit x minutes, pull eggs out and plunge into ice water.

They are ok but they NEVER peel perfect. They would never be good enough to make a pretty dish of deviled eggs. How do you do it??? (please note if your method affects the taste)

thanks!

Using older eggs mostly worked well for me in the past.
    Now I use an electric pressure cooker (based on comments from others on MFP), and they are ALWAYS super easy to peel.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I have the dash egg cooker as well. .I got it at goodwill still in the box for 4 bucks. Works great.
  • I boil for about 10 minutes, turn off stove top, cover, then let it sit for another 10 minutes...rinse in cool water...usually works out well, but it can be a hit or miss.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    lilawolf wrote: »
    My eggs always peel perfectly. (When I say always I literally mean always)

Boil water, add eggs to boiled water, boil for 20 minutes exactly. (Don't turn element off, keep it on high)

Run eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle.

Smash egg on plate/counter/hard surface. Peel. (Obviously don't smash too hard lol)

Seriously, perfect every time.

This is how I've always made boiled eggs so I'm not sure if it affects the taste.

TWENTY minutes?! woah. Aren't the yolks crumbly and green at that point?

No lol for some reason it works perfectly for me. No green and crumbly.