CICO the lastest fad diet

Options
https://medlineplus.gov/news/fullstory_169921.html

WEDNESDAY, Nov. 22, 2017 (HealthDay News) -- What if you could have your cake, eat it, too, and lose weight?

A nutritional fad called CICO -- short for "Calories In, Calories Out" -- promises just that for those looking to shed some pounds.

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    "It is far more important to eat healthy foods like broccoli, edamame, pecans, berries, pasta and olive oil than go on some crazy weight-loss fad diet," Heller said."

Would a broccoli-edamame-pecan-berry-pasta-olive oil diet not be a crazy, nutritionally lacking, weight loss fad diet? More so than eating appropriate portions of a variety of foods...

The whole article is ridiculously confused.

I was like "those foods are so random..."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Wtaf...

That article was confusing as hell.

It's like a weird rewrite of that Daily Mail article that was posted and discussed before.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    @Need2Exerc1se I'm so thoroughly impressed with the responses here already. Wonder how long before it completely pancakes. :lol:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    I got called a liar on another MFP discussion for saying there's people that just count calories and disregard nutrition.

And the author of this article is as confused on the subject as you are.

" Sandon pointed out that "canned diet plans rarely work and are hard to stick with."

Instead, she advocates forgoing the "quick-fix mentality" in favor of a long-term resolution to embrace a "combination of healthy eating and exercise."

For example, Sandon said, "Reduce calories by cutting back on portion sizes or use pre-portioned foods, such as frozen meals, to cut back on total food intake.""

Pretty much the standard advice given here.

Different person quoted

""Severely restricting calories or food groups, along with rapid weight loss, are likely to backfire for many reasons, and the dieter will be left feeling frustrated," she added."

Again, this seems to be the tone of those promoting calorie counting.

I'm not confused at all. I was just told previously "Literally no one on earth tracks CICO and ignores nutrition" and that's not true. I'm totally on board with CICO being a surefire way to lose weight; no argument there.

I think there are more than few that track calories and ignore nutrition. Especially when just starting out. I think some add lower calorie nutrient dense foods as much for volume as they do for nutrients.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "It is far more important to eat healthy foods like broccoli, edamame, pecans, berries, pasta and olive oil than go on some crazy weight-loss fad diet," Heller said."

Would a broccoli-edamame-pecan-berry-pasta-olive oil diet not be a crazy, nutritionally lacking, weight loss fad diet? More so than eating appropriate portions of a variety of foods...

The whole article is ridiculously confused.

I was like "those foods are so random..."

Heh, so true. Also, I got way fat eating all of those foods but edamame. I eat fewer pecans and less pasta and olive oil now, for sure. So is it more important to eat those foods or more important to eat a calorie-appropriate diet (that is balanced and nutritious also)? Clearly, the latter, period.