CICO the lastest fad diet

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Probably won't hear from OP again. Just wanting to get under others skin. Possibly on another site trying to sell a canned gimmick!

[edited for snark resulting from morning crankiness]

I think your heart is in the right place but the irony may have been missed.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    g_poleman wrote: »
    I do firmly buy into CICO - but I have to admit I love seeing articles like this and others because it so ticks off all the right people on here.

So you dislike certain posters more than you love the truth? Cool.

Btw, as one of the posters that invariably jumps into these threads, I usually find these discussions fun (if often ridiculous), that's why we participate, probably.

What in the article is not true?
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    People cannot let go of their need to have a magic bullet / snake oil solution to weight gain. Here is an extract of a comment on an obesity article on social media:

y4n6e4i4mwe6.png

All of the comments on his post just gushed over this. Some of what he is doing may have merit in terms of general health practices, but have nothing to do with losing weight, other than incidentally causing him to eat less calories in general by eating less processed food or intermittently fasting.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    I got called a liar on another MFP discussion for saying there's people that just count calories and disregard nutrition.

And the author of this article is as confused on the subject as you are.

" Sandon pointed out that "canned diet plans rarely work and are hard to stick with."

Instead, she advocates forgoing the "quick-fix mentality" in favor of a long-term resolution to embrace a "combination of healthy eating and exercise."

For example, Sandon said, "Reduce calories by cutting back on portion sizes or use pre-portioned foods, such as frozen meals, to cut back on total food intake.""

Pretty much the standard advice given here.

Different person quoted

""Severely restricting calories or food groups, along with rapid weight loss, are likely to backfire for many reasons, and the dieter will be left feeling frustrated," she added."

Again, this seems to be the tone of those promoting calorie counting.

I'm not confused at all. I was just told previously "Literally no one on earth tracks CICO and ignores nutrition" and that's not true. I'm totally on board with CICO being a surefire way to lose weight; no argument there.

I think there are more than few that track calories and ignore nutrition. Especially when just starting out. I think some add lower calorie nutrient dense foods as much for volume as they do for nutrients.

I think there are lots who start just focusing on calories (and it still beats many of the goofy fad diets for nutrition, I'd bet). But just focusing on calories does not mean you are nutrient deficient or (as joemac seems to think) super low protein.

I also think that tracking is a learning experience, and many who do just focus on calories will learn that some foods aren't worth the calories and what foods are filling and make them feel good on a calorie deficit (or maintenance). And many will likely get interested in nutrition through tracking and start looking at other things once calories are down.

What I think was said to joemac (truthfully) is that no one recommends eating a junk food only diet. I have a hard time imagining that anyone would even want to, although I know realistically some likely would. For me, even if I'm not focusing on nutrition at all, any regular meal needs some protein and some vegetables, that's how I grew up, and I think it's weird that people think you need to do anything particular to get basic nutrition in your diet beyond eat regular, normal foods.

I do think it's clearly true that lots of people in the US eat nutrition-poor diets, but I don't think that's something pushed by those who say that calories are what matters for weight loss. And (obviously!) CICO is not a way of eating.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    I got called a liar on another MFP discussion for saying there's people that just count calories and disregard nutrition.

And the author of this article is as confused on the subject as you are.

" Sandon pointed out that "canned diet plans rarely work and are hard to stick with."

Instead, she advocates forgoing the "quick-fix mentality" in favor of a long-term resolution to embrace a "combination of healthy eating and exercise."

For example, Sandon said, "Reduce calories by cutting back on portion sizes or use pre-portioned foods, such as frozen meals, to cut back on total food intake.""

Pretty much the standard advice given here.

Different person quoted

""Severely restricting calories or food groups, along with rapid weight loss, are likely to backfire for many reasons, and the dieter will be left feeling frustrated," she added."

Again, this seems to be the tone of those promoting calorie counting.

I'm not confused at all. I was just told previously "Literally no one on earth tracks CICO and ignores nutrition" and that's not true. I'm totally on board with CICO being a surefire way to lose weight; no argument there.

I think there are more than few that track calories and ignore nutrition. Especially when just starting out. I think some add lower calorie nutrient dense foods as much for volume as they do for nutrients.

When I was first starting out ... a very long time ago ... to lose weight, I did it by just counting calories ... for a couple of reasons ....
    1. I needed to know how many I was actually taking in. Yes, I read the labels and saw that a Snickers bar was 240 calories ... which didn't seem like so much, since a glass of whole milk was 150 calories ... and the snickers bar tasted much better than a glass of milk ...
    2. My first line of focus after step 1 was to see how many calories I could knock off my daily intake and still enjoy eating ... and the only way I knew how to do that was to .... a) log everything I ate, b) compare what I took in over the course of time to what was happening with my weight ... and c) start to drop some stuff I normally ate in favor of others that filled me up better on less calories. ....

It was only 'along the way' that I also noticed that if I had a better nutritional profile from the food choices I made that I received other benefits besides weight loss ... like better hair, better nails, better skin, less bloat, better bowel habits, less swelling in my feet and legs .... So ... long way to it ... My current belief is that calories in - calories out IS the way to lose weight but that WHAT I eat is the way to good health.

Yes, I bet for those not already interested in nutrition, this is really common as a result of logging.

I was interested in nutrition already, but logging (or just writing down everything I ate) was eye-opening and I was able to knock off lots of calories without sacrificing any enjoyment (or nutrition).