CICO the lastest fad diet

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Obese men, like me, especially over 50 have major hormonal issues

Low T is only one element. High estrogen levels due to increased aromatase production, low dopamine,
    elevated prolactin levels plus all the leptin & insulin resistance that occurs

So, in my case, in addition to controlling my calorie intake I have been using all manner of protocols to raise T, lower estradiol, lower prolactin, block aromatase, increase insulin sensitivity and I will be doing re-feeds at some point to deal with falling leptin

However, none of those things would create weight loss if I were eating more calories than I burn

True but your hormones will influence how much you eat!

See above, they influence how much you WANT to eat, how much you actually eat is up to you. Don't push the blame onto hormones.

So why do people give advice to eat foods that keep you full when dieting? We both know that answer. Hunger matters. Sure, it's a personal decision to be hungry and in a deficit or to not be in a deficit and be sated. Certainly it can be and is done. But please don't be so pompous as to suggest it doesn't matter. That it doesn't make it harder.

To make it easier to stick with it without going crazy.

To say that "Hormones will influence how much you eat" takes the personal part completely out of it. It's saying you're a mindless eating machine at the mercy of your hormones.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I would have been highly disappointed if a straightforward discussion of CICO didn't end up becoming a discussion about outlying medical issues that realistically affect a relatively small population.

There are huge numbers of obese men aged 45+ with all kinds of hormonal issues relating to their weight

it's ridiculous to claim this only covers a small population

Because I'm lazy and it's nearly bedtime in the UK. What percentage of the population is 1. obese 2. male 3. over 45 4. experiencing hormonal issues 5. is that statistically significant and 6. does it severely impact ability to lose weight physiologically.

Edit to add: You can use the US population, I know us Brits aren't nearly as important.

I'm British and 25% of the adult populatiob are classified obese (I checked Govt stats)

a fair chunk of those have hormonal problems of all kinds (Type II for instance)

Discussing how hormonal issues affect people trying to lose weight is completely relevant
    and the issue came up naturally if you read the whole thread

the guy saying this stuff is OT is completely wrong

Millions of people have all kinds of metabolic hormonal conditions that complicate the CICO equation

or don't they?

Yeh but why??? WTF is going on that every man, woman and dog has Insulin/thyroid/hormonal problems?

I have never met a single, solitary person in real life that has these health conditions. I have met plenty that have used them as excuses for being overweight, but curiously have never been diagnosed with any of them...

Call me crazy or perhaps cynical, but these people got fat and/or cant lose weight because they're eating too damn much! Not because of some health condition they hope they have that is magically causing their issues.

I know some. One very well. It has been a real struggle for her.

I really am curious how your sister's hormone disease actually truly impacts her ability to lose fat. Are they unable to stabilize her levels for some reason? What methods has she implemented to lose fat that seem to have been such a struggle?

There are people on these forums who have lost their thyroids due to cancer who have had success losing large amounts of fat, so I'm interesting in hearing about outliers and what their particular situations entail.

Yes, there was a long process to get the meds right. She has also lost. I never said she didn't or couldn't. I said it was a struggle.
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't really see that this article did much aside from state the obvious... and frankly, I think CICO is as good a place to start as any. It is simple and if you don't know how to lose weight but know that you need to, diving into all the details about macros and percentages of calories from protein versus carbs, yadda yadda - it gets overwhelming. The KISS method is usually best, and we know that in the long term the nutrition matters to get where you want to ultimately be, but if it's straight up about dropping 20 or 30 or 80 pounds why not CICO?

I started with CICO, dropped somewhere around 20 pounds and I had noticed that mfp tracked macros but didn't pay much attention. Subsequent to reversing the weight gain trend I also joined a gym to get into better shape and then the idea of nutrition sunk in. Now that I'm focused on gaining lean muscle and burning fat more effectively, I've spent the time learning and tweaking to get the results I want. I think it's fairly common sense to know that ho-hos and slim jims aren't going to make your insides healthy even if you shrink your pant size because you are careful about how many calories you're consuming. CICO doesn't promote a terrible diet, it's just recognition of the fact that if you put in less than you send out you're going to have a deficit and lose weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Low T is only one element. High estrogen levels due to increased aromatase production, low dopamine,

So, in my case, in addition to controlling my calorie intake I have been using all manner of protocols to raise T, lower estradiol, lower prolactin, block aromatase, increase insulin sensitivity and I will be doing re-feeds at some point to deal with falling leptin

However, none of those things would create weight loss if I were eating more calories than I burn

See above, they influence how much you WANT to eat, how much you actually eat is up to you. Don't push the blame onto hormones.

So why do people give advice to eat foods that keep you full when dieting? We both know that answer. Hunger matters. Sure, it's a personal decision to be hungry and in a deficit or to not be in a deficit and be sated. Certainly it can be and is done. But please don't be so pompous as to suggest it doesn't matter. That it doesn't make it harder.

To say that "Hormones will influence how much you eat" takes the personal part completely out of it. It's saying you're a mindless eating machine at the mercy of your hormones.

Right, as if someone might be eating without control vs. noticing "jeez, I'm hungry, maybe I should eat different foods." Someone who overeats because their food choices are poor is making a decision to overeat vs. changing the food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nevermind.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    does this mean I shouldn't be having french toast any more?

Make sure you include some chicken and soybeans and you'll be fine.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    If CICO is a fad, then we can say that one fad does work to help overweight people lose weight and become healthy.

A caloric deficit is the secret ingredient in every fad diet. The reason that restrictive diets, cleanses, detoxes, fasting, etc, result in (short term) weight loss is because they cause one to eat less calories, not because of some magical concoction of substances that trigger weight loss.

I'll kinda argue this point. The reason short term diets, detoxes, cleanses etc. cause weight loss is they clean out you innards and are typically low-carb so they reduce glycogen and the associated water.

But this is just an aside to the conversation.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

No, that's just your spin on it. Influence is not control.

X influences how much you eat = X will change the amount of food you eat, it is not the only thing that determines how much you eat, but it will make it higher or lower regardless of your wishes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

No, that's just your spin on it. Influence is not control.

X influences how much you eat = X will change the amount of food you eat, it is not the only thing that determines how much you eat, but it will make it higher or lower regardless of your wishes.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that influence will always change behavior? If not, can you clarify what you are saying?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I would have been highly disappointed if a straightforward discussion of CICO didn't end up becoming a discussion about outlying medical issues that realistically affect a relatively small population.

There are huge numbers of obese men aged 45+ with all kinds of hormonal issues relating to their weight

it's ridiculous to claim this only covers a small population

Because I'm lazy and it's nearly bedtime in the UK. What percentage of the population is 1. obese 2. male 3. over 45 4. experiencing hormonal issues 5. is that statistically significant and 6. does it severely impact ability to lose weight physiologically.

Edit to add: You can use the US population, I know us Brits aren't nearly as important.

I'm British and 25% of the adult populatiob are classified obese (I checked Govt stats)

a fair chunk of those have hormonal problems of all kinds (Type II for instance)

Discussing how hormonal issues affect people trying to lose weight is completely relevant
    and the issue came up naturally if you read the whole thread

the guy saying this stuff is OT is completely wrong

Millions of people have all kinds of metabolic hormonal conditions that complicate the CICO equation

or don't they?

Yeh but why??? WTF is going on that every man, woman and dog has Insulin/thyroid/hormonal problems?

I have never met a single, solitary person in real life that has these health conditions. I have met plenty that have used them as excuses for being overweight, but curiously have never been diagnosed with any of them...

Call me crazy or perhaps cynical, but these people got fat and/or cant lose weight because they're eating too damn much! Not because of some health condition they hope they have that is magically causing their issues.

I know some. One very well. It has been a real struggle for her.

I really am curious how your sister's hormone disease actually truly impacts her ability to lose fat. Are they unable to stabilize her levels for some reason? What methods has she implemented to lose fat that seem to have been such a struggle?

There are people on these forums who have lost their thyroids due to cancer who have had success losing large amounts of fat, so I'm interesting in hearing about outliers and what their particular situations entail.

Yes, there was a long process to get the meds right. She has also lost. I never said she didn't or couldn't. I said it was a struggle.

Gotcha. I had a spell where my thyroid went nutso and stopped responding to the meds, and it took forever to get the dosage right again.

It was a very frustrating process. I can empathize.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking CICO, I have a CO question. I woke up, went #1 then weighed. Two minutes later I had to #2. Since I hadn't had my morning coffee, breakfast, or even water, I decided to weigh again. I weighed .4# more than my initial weigh in. What the hey is that all about?

...I just figured we needed a little comic relief. True story though.
  • r3488
    r3488 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am continually amazed at how many people don't understand what CICO is.

1. CICO governs energy balance. Nothing else.
    2. CICO is not about food.
    3. Food contains energy, food also contains nutrients. Nutrients and energy aren't the same thing.
    4. Nutrients, energy, and heck, even hormones, are all different things.

CICO is only meant to describe energy balance. It's okay to entertain several different discussions regarding food because it's a complicated issue.

There's a not being able to see the forest for the trees issue a lot of you are making here. Mike Israetel recently gave a Tedx talk (and normally I don't think much of them, but I respect Mike Israetel) on this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYeZVfPxwKM

This is only about 15 minutes long. Give it a watch if you are so insistent on picking nits here.

Basically, the TL;DR is that calories are the biggest driver, and are the big picture.

Awesome video! Great summary with lots of information packed into only 15 minutes. How do we get the video stickied in an appropriate forum?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Right, as if someone might be eating without control vs. noticing "jeez, I'm hungry, maybe I should eat different foods." Someone who overeats because their food choices are poor is making a decision to overeat vs. changing the food.

I agree with the main thrust of what you're saying.

At the same time, it surprises me how frequently people - mostly outside MFP, but sometimes in - don't understand the effect of food choices on satiety. How many times do we see/hear things along the line that "you have to eat less, which makes you feel hungry, but if you keep it up your stomach will shrink, then you'll be OK "?
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    jsminer827 wrote: »
    I don't really see that this article did much aside from state the obvious... and frankly, I think CICO is as good a place to start as any. It is simple and if you don't know how to lose weight but know that you need to, diving into all the details about macros and percentages of calories from protein versus carbs, yadda yadda - it gets overwhelming. The KISS method is usually best, and we know that in the long term the nutrition matters to get where you want to ultimately be, but if it's straight up about dropping 20 or 30 or 80 pounds why not CICO?

I started with CICO, dropped somewhere around 20 pounds and I had noticed that mfp tracked macros but didn't pay much attention. Subsequent to reversing the weight gain trend I also joined a gym to get into better shape and then the idea of nutrition sunk in. Now that I'm focused on gaining lean muscle and burning fat more effectively, I've spent the time learning and tweaking to get the results I want. I think it's fairly common sense to know that ho-hos and slim jims aren't going to make your insides healthy even if you shrink your pant size because you are careful about how many calories you're consuming. CICO doesn't promote a terrible diet, it's just recognition of the fact that if you put in less than you send out you're going to have a deficit and lose weight.

Here's the thing though.

Weight management is an ongoing endeavor and is about more than the weight loss process.

People like me who have had an issue with excess fat since puberty have struggled for an entire lifetime (in my case, it was 40 years) with a lot of conflicting advice from doctors, parents, the media, and the diet industry on how to best handle the problem.

Nothing I ever did ever addressed the issue in a way that paved the path to a sustainable lifestyle.

Let's use your example of calling some foods unhealthy. I like say... Snickers Bars. While on a diet, I'd abstain from Snickers bars, because Snickers bars are unhealthy and I'm going to be healthy and thin now and stay that way forever! Unhealthy food will never pass my lips again!!!!! Well, I lose the weight while life goes on around me and I stand in the grocery store and keep seeing those Snickers bars week after week every time I go through the check out line.

And then Christmas comes and my husband puts one in my Christmas stocking. So of course I eat it, it's only one. And it's the holidays. Dang, that was good. And the next time I go to the grocery store and get another one. Oh the thrill of forbidden fruit! I'm still eating plenty of healthy food too, mind you. But now I'm eating these Snickers bars on top of the healthy food.

And it takes off from there because I start feeling deprived because the world around me is enjoying all sorts of different things that I'm not enjoying.

And I gain all of my weight back.

What the people in the article who talked about junk food likely really meant was not that it comprised the whole of their diet but that they could include it every now and then in their life as long as they stayed within their calories. And they could still lose weight.

Learning that was liberating for me and set me on a sustainable path to not only lose weight, but more importantly, to maintain that loss for a lifetime.

Life will go on. I will encounter Snickers bars. I don't have to live without them.

Yes to this so much.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    liftingbro wrote: »
    When I talked about hormones earlier it may have confused some.

Having a hormone imbalance doesn't invalidate the basic principles of calories in, calories out. What hormone imbalacesdo is changes the math. Because of an imbalance you may need to eat less to lose weight or you may store calories as fat easier. Calories still matter but knowing how many you burn gets way more tricky with an imbalance.

Is there a statistically significant percentage of the population with hormonal issues so pronounced that it is significantly impacting weight loss? I see it come up a lot in the forums when people want to push back about the simplicity of CICO (whether you agree with it or not) from some quarters but never see this extrapolate to the real world.

4.6 percent of the US population (over 12 yo) has hypothyroidism

My daughter is only 7 and has it. And hypothyroidism is hardly the only imbalance that significantly impacts the body's ability to store or burn calories at a normal rate.

There are also conditions where you have to navigate intake carefully. I'm nondiabetic hypoglycemic. I need to eat at regular intervals as planned or when my body says it's time to eat in emergencies. This is a case of a delicate balancing act with intake. I'm already smallish with less weight to lose (15 to 20 lbs to go) so I get less calories. I do WW but still track calories. So if I need food, I eat more and lose slower, or just go over. Better than passing out or risking a coma.