CICO the lastest fad diet

Options

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    It's not if you need less than what the calculator says per se. It's when someone claims that they maintain on 1200 (or worse, 1,000) and thus need to eat 800 in order to lose.

• maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Maybe but my bet is if I started a thread and said I can’t lose I’m eating 1700 calories I move a lot and I don’t lose weight, the majority of the answers would be “you don’t have to eat that little get a food scale and start tightening up your tracking, if you were actually eating 1700 at your height and age you would lose. I eat 2200 and lose a pound a week.” When the reality is that I would not. Again I totally get that 8 out of 10 of the posts like that are probably a logging issue but for the two that are not those replies always make me cringe.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,848 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    When I talked about hormones earlier it may have confused some.

Having a hormone imbalance doesn't invalidate the basic principles of calories in, calories out. What hormone imbalacesdo is changes the math. Because of an imbalance you may need to eat less to lose weight or you may store calories as fat easier. Calories still matter but knowing how many you burn gets way more tricky with an imbalance.

Is there a statistically significant percentage of the population with hormonal issues so pronounced that it is significantly impacting weight loss? I see it come up a lot in the forums when people want to push back about the simplicity of CICO (whether you agree with it or not) from some quarters but never see this extrapolate to the real world.

4.6 percent of the US population (over 12 yo) has hypothyroidism

And the percentage who have hypothyroidism to the point that it's an impact to weightloss is likely statistically insignificant.

More pointedly, as one standard deviation for RMR is around 5-8% of the average, the 5% hypo penalty is pretty close to lost in the statistical noise anyway.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    I would have been highly disappointed if a straightforward discussion of CICO didn't end up becoming a discussion about outlying medical issues that realistically affect a relatively small population.

There are huge numbers of obese men aged 45+ with all kinds of hormonal issues relating to their weight

it's ridiculous to claim this only covers a small population

And every single one of them will lose weight eating less than they burn.

I think the other poster meant people who have issues losing weight due to their hormones.

And about everyone of them will be more likely to eat less than they burn if they watch what they eat and when they eat.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    If you use more calories than you consume you will lose weight. Otherwise your creating energy out of nothing and are performing a miracle! Problem is hormones can affect how much you eat due to making you hungry. They can also lower you metabolism which will make it harder to have a deficit. What you eat and when you eat can help with the metabolism and the hunger issues so your more likely to eat at a deficit.

Getting weight off for really heavy people is probably more important that trying to be real strict with what you eat but for long term health and sustainability of a diet, you better eat healthy also.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    liftingbro wrote: »
    When I talked about hormones earlier it may have confused some.

Having a hormone imbalance doesn't invalidate the basic principles of calories in, calories out. What hormone imbalacesdo is changes the math. Because of an imbalance you may need to eat less to lose weight or you may store calories as fat easier. Calories still matter but knowing how many you burn gets way more tricky with an imbalance.

Is there a statistically significant percentage of the population with hormonal issues so pronounced that it is significantly impacting weight loss? I see it come up a lot in the forums when people want to push back about the simplicity of CICO (whether you agree with it or not) from some quarters but never see this extrapolate to the real world.

4.6 percent of the US population (over 12 yo) has hypothyroidism

My daughter is only 7 and has it. And hypothyroidism is hardly the only imbalance that significantly impacts the body's ability to store or burn calories at a normal rate.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    A bit of an aside but a question none the less, on this site it is praised, celebrated, and pushed a bit when people maintain or lose on calorie levels that are higher than what the calculators tout they should, but instantly scoffed at when anyone claims to need less than the calculator says. I maintain right around 1700 to 1900 at 5’10”. I have never been overweight. I don’t claim I’m broken I lose when I feel like my pants are too tight and I’m not starving. I do know how many calories I eat so it’s not that I foolishly don’t know how to measure and I’m only 38. Today I hit 8k steps which is pretty average for me. I feel there are probably as many people on the lower end like me, as there are 5’4” women maintaining on 2500 but only one of them is ok to bring up without being told you don’t know how to measure your food. Why is that?

Because the mechanisms that might cause unusually low calorie needs are less easily understood than potential explanations for unusually high calorie needs (such as being fidgety or working out extra hard), even though those easily-understood mechanisms may not be the actual mechanisms at work.

Also, because most people wouldn't recognize a standard deviation if you whacked them over the head with it. Way too many people think NEAT/TDEE "calculators" give you "the answer" not "a statistical estimate".

I agree with your point about how people tend to be treated, 100% . . . not that it has anything to with the main point of this thread. ;)

It is for sure and I apologize. It has just been on my mind a lot lately. I’m not sure how much of mine is from my thyroid and how much is just that my body is very good at conserving energy. But the topic of hormones brought it back to the front of my thoughts. I’ll step out and stop messing up the thread :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If CICO is a fad, then we can say that one fad does work to help overweight people lose weight and become healthy.

A caloric deficit is the secret ingredient in every fad diet. The reason that restrictive diets, cleanses, detoxes, fasting, etc, result in (short term) weight loss is because they cause one to eat less calories, not because of some magical concoction of substances that trigger weight loss.