Weight lifting and STILL not losing weight. HELP!

Replies

• tailikeswaffles
    tailikeswaffles Posts: 35 Member
    Okay so far I get I need to eat more and adjust my macros (which is good for me because I love to eat and I really REALLY miss my sweet potatoes and fruit)
    I need a more structured plan (theres a LOT of different options which overwhelm me so its gonna take some time to pick the right one for me)
    And get a food scale?

With that being said, i know its hard to place a timeline on stuff like this but when will I at least START to see some progress?? I take pictures and measure myself like crazy but I still feel stuck.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Also lol I need to get my butt to the gym for todays workout :smiley:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    Okay so far I get I need to eat more and adjust my macros (which is good for me because I love to eat and I really REALLY miss my sweet potatoes and fruit)
    I need a more structured plan (theres a LOT of different options which overwhelm me so its gonna take some time to pick the right one for me)
    And get a food scale?

With that being said, i know its hard to place a timeline on stuff like this but when will I at least START to see some progress?? I take pictures and measure myself like crazy but I still feel stuck.

It's hard to say... but you will see strength gains pretty much weekly (at least for awhile). And you should reassess your weight withing 3 or 4 weeks; if you want, just repost in here so we can see the whole story.
  • tailikeswaffles
    psuLemon wrote: »
    And get a food scale?

It's hard to say... but you will see strength gains pretty much weekly (at least for awhile). And you should reassess your weight withing 3 or 4 weeks; if you want, just repost in here so we can see the whole story.

I’ve definitely been seeing strength gains so far. Like i know I can lift heavier than when I started. Its just the weight doesn't move. I haven’t really gone down in sizes either but I can’t really tell since most of my clothes have been too big for a while.
    I also intermittent fast.
  • tailikeswaffles
    psuLemon wrote: »
    One more random side note. Don't be afraid of carbs. They are very beneficial for weight lifting. Essentially, carbs don't make you fat, calories do. So if you tend to do better with a carb heavier diet, feel free to eat that way. You might initially gain a few lbs, but that is because you are restoring glycogen/water weight. But after that, fat loss will be the same.

I will try! I know when I first lost weight, I didn’t really care about carbs and what not and just ate healthy. I probably ate SO many carbs back then. At a lot of sandwiches and whole grain pasta. But I figured since this summer I ate low carb (i didnt workout much tho I was super busy moving and starting a new job) and got down to my lowest weight that carbs just weren’t meant for me
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    I'm going to suggest a different macro break down. I'd go more 40% protein, 35% fat, and 25% carbs, especially since you've said you are hestiant on carbs. Are you trying to build muscle? It sounds to me like your main exercise focus is lifting. Which is great, but isn't likely to help you lose a lot of weight. Lifting will lower your body fat percentage, help you drop inches, and replace fat with muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so if you're building a lot of new muscle, you could still be losing fat and just not seeing the number drop on the scale. If your primary goal isn't to build muscle and strength right now, I would recommend upping your cardio. Just an idea! I lost far more weight when my exercise consisted of primarily running. I have switched to mostly lifting, and have pretty much stalled with weight loss, but I feel better and still lose inches.

Building muscle is definitely a goal of mine but I feel like because I have so much fat to lose, I’m not really seeing any progress. Or at least the progress I want to see. My legs feel and look stronger and so does my butt but thats basically the only progress I’ve seen. I think I may just focus more on cardio again and maybe do weights twice a week. At least until I feel like My body is ready to lift heavy again.

If your profile picture even remotely reflects what you look like, There's not a whole lot of unhealthy fat hiding there.
  • tailikeswaffles
    I'm going to suggest a different macro break down. I'd go more 40% protein, 35% fat, and 25% carbs, especially since you've said you are hestiant on carbs. Are you trying to build muscle? It sounds to me like your main exercise focus is lifting. Which is great, but isn't likely to help you lose a lot of weight. Lifting will lower your body fat percentage, help you drop inches, and replace fat with muscle. Muscle is more dense than fat, so if you're building a lot of new muscle, you could still be losing fat and just not seeing the number drop on the scale. If your primary goal isn't to build muscle and strength right now, I would recommend upping your cardio. Just an idea! I lost far more weight when my exercise consisted of primarily running. I have switched to mostly lifting, and have pretty much stalled with weight loss, but I feel better and still lose inches.

Building muscle is definitely a goal of mine but I feel like because I have so much fat to lose, I’m not really seeing any progress. Or at least the progress I want to see. My legs feel and look stronger and so does my butt but thats basically the only progress I’ve seen. I think I may just focus more on cardio again and maybe do weights twice a week. At least until I feel like My body is ready to lift heavy again.

If your profile picture even remotely reflects what you look like, There's not a whole lot of unhealthy fat hiding there.

I carry most of my weight in my midsection and my chest.
  • stanmann571
    And you have not cheated or deviated once from this since you began this Oct 1st?

She doesn't weigh her food. ...that's her problem

Exactly ... 1/8-1/4 of an avocado could be 100 calories or 500

According to MFP, 1/4 of an avocado is 80 calories...something ain’t adding up here.

According to USDA that's 50 grams. That's a 200 gram avocado. Which is really small.
  • tailikeswaffles
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    And you have not cheated or deviated once from this since you began this Oct 1st?

She doesn't weigh her food. ...that's her problem

Exactly ... 1/8-1/4 of an avocado could be 100 calories or 500

According to MFP, 1/4 of an avocado is 80 calories...something ain’t adding up here.

1/4 of what size avocado? Avocados are not standard sizes. Weighing by grams is far more accurate.

The avocado we get are usually pretty small. We buy ours from Aldi most of the time.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    exugvuwnbkud.png
    This is calculated assuming 8 hours sleep and absolutely no activity with your stats. Hypothyroidism will slow things down by maybe 100-200 calories max but you are still in a deficit and if you have been eating that little for more than a month and seeing no change in weight regardless of weight lifting, I will state again there is an error in intake..has nothing to do with output.

@charlenekapf - What app is this taken from? Looks very useful!
  • stanmann571

Unless you're prepared to cut fat until you lose your cycle, some of that just isn't going to go away.. maybe even most of it.
  • tailikeswaffles

Unless you're prepared to cut fat until you lose your cycle, some of that just isn't going to go away.. maybe even most of it.

I’m like 32% body fat. I cant at least get down to 25%?!
    My cycle is perfectly normal. It was worse when I was heavier. Didnt have a period for like 6 months at my heaviest I believe.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    @rheddmobile it's health-calc.com and then go to weight loss-->advanced calorie calculator. It's pretty darn accurate as long as you're modest when entering true time sitting, working out/intensity, etc. It is within about 100 calories of my apple watch and losing at the rate I should be given the TDEE/intake I am utilizing.
    exugvuwnbkud.png
    This is calculated assuming 8 hours sleep and absolutely no activity with your stats. Hypothyroidism will slow things down by maybe 100-200 calories max but you are still in a deficit and if you have been eating that little for more than a month and seeing no change in weight regardless of weight lifting, I will state again there is an error in intake..has nothing to do with output.

@charlenekapf - What app is this taken from? Looks very useful!

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    You’re on a highly restrictive diet and lifting 4 times a week. That’s a recipe for repeated cheat meals. Even if they are just “oops, some brown rice...” repeated cheats will hinder your progress.
    Get started on a more reasonable plan instead of going to such extremes and see how much more sustainable and successful it is.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited December 2017
    25% body fat is absolutely achievable.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I am confused now.
    I want to lose weight but I’m NOT supposed to have a deficit with my calories? Huh?!?!

Just wondering why you thought it was recommended that you not eat at a deficit? Was that in response to me saying don’t eat below your BMR?