Weight lifting and STILL not losing weight. HELP!

12346»

Replies

• tailikeswaffles
    tailikeswaffles Posts: 35 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I am confused now.
    I want to lose weight but I’m NOT supposed to have a deficit with my calories? Huh?!?!

Just wondering why you thought it was recommended that you not eat at a deficit? Was that in response to me saying don’t eat below your BMR?

No it was just several different people saying i wont gain muscle eating at a deficit. Unless I was comprehending them wrong?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I am confused now.
    I want to lose weight but I’m NOT supposed to have a deficit with my calories? Huh?!?!

Just wondering why you thought it was recommended that you not eat at a deficit? Was that in response to me saying don’t eat below your BMR?

No it was just several different people saying i wont gain muscle eating at a deficit. Unless I was comprehending them wrong?

Gaining muscle means gaining weight, it's just that the weight involved is muscle. For most people, that isn't going to happen in a deficit. Your body needs an excess of energy in order to store it -- whether that energy is stored as fat or muscle.

There are some exceptions, but generally you aren't going to gain appreciable muscle weight in a deficit. This doesn't mean that people can't become stronger in a deficit or gain increased muscle definition (people can often see existing muscle better when some fat is removed).

^^this. Usually, newbie gains aside, one needs to purposely gain weight to build muscle. Can’t build muscle out of thin air. Don’t worry about this too much. If you do strength training while eating at a reasonable deficit when you lose fat the muscle you have will be revealed. That is why not waiting to lift is important.

I know it’s a lot of new info. There are very good stickies worth reading in the forums for the basics of weight loss, recomp, strength training, logging. It’s all there.
  • tailikeswaffles
    tailikeswaffles Posts: 35 Member
    I see what you’re saying. I want to be stronger and leaner but until ai reduce my body fat some more, i think I wanna focus more on weight loss than building muscle. At least until I start to see the progress that I’m looking for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,777 Member
    Your calorie intake is way too low. 1200 calories your body is simply hanging on and slowing your metabolism down. Either increase them and aim for a deficit of around 500 calories per day, or switch to eat normally with a slight deficit of 100 on one Day and 800 on alternate days, and it will kick start weight loss again.

Also try to change the excercise you do for a week. Try cycling, or fast walking for a week.

I’ve constantly lost every week at least 1 lb every single week for the last three months by switching excercise between cycling, weights, walking, Kempo, CrossFit and not even weighed anything.

I’ve also not given up anything I usually eat apart from changing so I don’t eat after 8pm and I have a large meal at lunch not dinner. Also two litres of water a day.

I do weigh myself every day which isn’t recommended I know, but the days after my calorie intake was higher was the time I lost the weight.

Unnecessary complexity. I lost 50+ pounds in less than a year while not switching my exercise (I mostly row and spin, including doing them just as often when I was fat), and eating any time of day I felt like eating as long as I had room in my calorie goal (including eating right before bed, sometimes lots).

And if bodies held onto calories when we eat too little, to the point where we don't lose weight, no one would ever starve to death. Sadly, people starve to death every day.

OP, ignore the complicated eating/exercise rules unless you enjoy them. Most of the other advice on the thread is pretty good, though.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    @rheddmobile it's health-calc.com and then go to weight loss-->advanced calorie calculator. It's pretty darn accurate as long as you're modest when entering true time sitting, working out/intensity, etc. It is within about 100 calories of my apple watch and losing at the rate I should be given the TDEE/intake I am utilizing.
    exugvuwnbkud.png
    This is calculated assuming 8 hours sleep and absolutely no activity with your stats. Hypothyroidism will slow things down by maybe 100-200 calories max but you are still in a deficit and if you have been eating that little for more than a month and seeing no change in weight regardless of weight lifting, I will state again there is an error in intake..has nothing to do with output.

@charlenekapf - What app is this taken from? Looks very useful!

@charlenekapf ,

Thanks for posting the link and how to use it!
    That calorie estimator is the most accurate one I've tried and I think I've tried them all!
    I punched in my stats and got 2157 calories (BMR) & when I had that measured recently it was 2131 calories. Most of the calorie estimators I've tried way underestimate what calories I need/day.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,223 Member
    @rheddmobile it's health-calc.com and then go to weight loss-->advanced calorie calculator. It's pretty darn accurate as long as you're modest when entering true time sitting, working out/intensity, etc. It is within about 100 calories of my apple watch and losing at the rate I should be given the TDEE/intake I am utilizing.
    exugvuwnbkud.png
    This is calculated assuming 8 hours sleep and absolutely no activity with your stats. Hypothyroidism will slow things down by maybe 100-200 calories max but you are still in a deficit and if you have been eating that little for more than a month and seeing no change in weight regardless of weight lifting, I will state again there is an error in intake..has nothing to do with output.

@charlenekapf - What app is this taken from? Looks very useful!

@charlenekapf ,

Thanks for posting the link and how to use it!
    That calorie estimator is the most accurate one I've tried and I think I've tried them all!
    I punched in my stats and got 2157 calories (BMR) & when I had that measured recently it was 2131 calories. Most of the calorie estimators I've tried way underestimate what calories I need/day.

Tried it as well. Based on the calculating I’ve done for my TDEE with calorie and daily weight logging, it’s right (within 9) on for my TDEE if I don’t turn any of the knobs for activity, just sleep. If I put in my exercise (~60 min 3-4x/week, normalized to 30min/day for these purposes) and standing activity (~1 hour, have a desk job, pretty sedentary outside of intentional exercise) it bumps me from 2459 up to 2670, a 9% surplus on what I calculate my TDEE to be. For me it looks like it overestimates calorie burn from exercise and incidental activity, YMMV evidently.

Good bit of advice on methodolgy I once received in messaging with a well-credentialed individual I happened to meet here; do resistance training to improve physique/muscle composition, cardio if necessary to improve conditioning, manipulation of nutrition to create a calorie deficit to lose fat.