DESPERATE AND ABOUT TO QUIT

Options

Replies

• punkinjdm6
    punkinjdm6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    punkinjdm6 wrote: »
    Also your response to her response doesn't make sense to what she said.. you are claiming to use cups for liquids and a scale for meats, but we are telling you that your entries are generic and do not give you the actual calories you are consuming for what you are logging

OK so the thread is to help me better understand this fitness life that obviously people like you might have been doing this longer than me. shoot me I'm a rookie. I also said many failed attempts so yes i realize something im doing is wrong.

If this fitness app is suppose to be so helpful but apparently isnt then what am i suppose to believe on my own.

If i type in chicken breast grilled and it says 150gm = 200 calories (example)
    so i weigh out 150 gm of a dam chicken breast because im lead to believe this is the best or closest thing for me to think is correct.

but your telling me its not correct. then im sorry.

I scan a bar-code tells me 1 cup = 70 calories so i measure a cup of milk. in a glass measuring cup that says this line is 1 cup

So please help me not judge me on what is the best possible way to measure and log. because just telling me im doing it wrong doesnt help me either.

I thought the things i picked where correct or as close to what im eating

Hey, try taking a deep breath. Everyone here is trying to help you. Virtually everyone here (including me) has made mistakes in logging before. That's how we're able to see this stuff -- because they are mistakes that we have made too.

Yes, there are incorrect database entries in the database. Virtually everything in there was created by other users. Some of them are great and some of them are awful, just like everything created by a big group of people with little oversight. So if you're eating something a lot, you will want to double-check the entry for accuracy. And if it's a generic/homemade entry for something like "tuna salad" or "egg salad sandwich" or "banana cream pie - homemade" it probably should be avoided completely.

For your logging to be accurate, you don't just need accurate entries, you also need to understand how much you're actually eating. That's where the food scale comes in. So that you don't have to guess or use things like "1 banana" (because bananas of different sizes can have very different calorie counts).

Nobody is judging you, we're trying to provide the help that you asked for in your first post. We're also giving you specific examples of what could be better. Nobody is just saying "You're wrong" and leaving it at that.

Thank you.

can i ask a question. in the sense of the banana. i weight the banana in oz. it tells it is an 6 oz banana

and the myfitnessapp says 1 banana 6 oz = (random number)

so this is or is not correct?

I want to use the banana because it is an item with no bar- code.
  • punkinjdm6
    punkinjdm6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    gn3oxas6thw3.jpg

Here's a handy chart that should help you gain some insight.

Can you help me understand the 3rd green diamond?

because when i see this on my fitness app it does confuse me

1500 - 1489+317= 358

like whaaaa??? does this mean i still have 358 calories to go or is it ok not to eat those??? i am confused

and yes i am on my 3rd week now.

If you have a calorie goal of 1500 per day... and you eat 1500 that brings you to 0 calories NET

If you workout and burn 320 calories it gives you calories because MFP already gives you a weight loss deficit and is designed to give you more calories to eat more. Also as a woman you are required to eat a minimum of 1200 calories per day. so when you burned 320 from that 1500 it brought you to 1180 NET. Which technically would be fine, If you burned MORE then that through exercise you would neat to eat back enough calories to bring yourself up to 1200 calories.

=0
    +320 Exercise
    = 1180 NET (1500 - 320 = 1180)
    (Eat 20 more calories to bring it back to 1200)

Perfect thank you i think i was eating back those calories. i didnt know. now i will definitely change that
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Half a tablespoon of peanut butter isn't 12 calories... i hope you are not actually logging that as 12.. lol

i scanned the barcode of the powdered peanut butther pb2 which equaled 2tbsp (12gm) i only used 1/2 serving and thats what fitness app calculated.

We're really not trying to put you down here, @punkinjdm6. We've just all been around and faced your struggle and REPEATEDLY, this is the #1 mistake MFP users make. When you tighten up your logging (ie weighing your food and logging by weight), you see results.

In the beginning, if you're really overweight (I was 140 lbs overweight), you can kind of fudge it and get away with it. The closer you are to your goal weight, the less room for error there is.

Please trust us. This WILL help you. You just have to believe in the process.

No i dont feel this way about what your telling me everyone is being helpful but i hellyeaitskriss is just telling me how wrong i am.

not you. im understand everyone else.

We all have our off days, when we get frustrated on the forums. I've been guilty of coming off too harshly myself.

Another helpful hint is to utilize the USDA nutritional info. If you're seeing too many entries for something with very different calories, see what the USDA has to say about it (just google it!) and pick the entry closest to what USDA says. That's great for individual ingredients like chicken, tomatoes, vegetables, other proteins, honey, milk (based on fatness), etc.

Feel free to message me in the future if you have any questions. For now, just get a food scale and weigh everything you can, including peanut butters, pasta, protein, yogurt, cheese, everything that's prepackaged, etc.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    This post here is without a doubt one of the most helpful posts for this kind of problem:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Second this. It's an extremely helpful post.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Also your response to her response doesn't make sense to what she said.. you are claiming to use cups for liquids and a scale for meats, but we are telling you that your entries are generic and do not give you the actual calories you are consuming for what you are logging

OK so the thread is to help me better understand this fitness life that obviously people like you might have been doing this longer than me. shoot me I'm a rookie. I also said many failed attempts so yes i realize something im doing is wrong.

If this fitness app is suppose to be so helpful but apparently isnt then what am i suppose to believe on my own.

If i type in chicken breast grilled and it says 150gm = 200 calories (example)
    so i weigh out 150 gm of a dam chicken breast because im lead to believe this is the best or closest thing for me to think is correct.

but your telling me its not correct. then im sorry.

I scan a bar-code tells me 1 cup = 70 calories so i measure a cup of milk. in a glass measuring cup that says this line is 1 cup

So please help me not judge me on what is the best possible way to measure and log. because just telling me im doing it wrong doesnt help me either.

I thought the things i picked where correct or as close to what im eating

Hey, try taking a deep breath. Everyone here is trying to help you. Virtually everyone here (including me) has made mistakes in logging before. That's how we're able to see this stuff -- because they are mistakes that we have made too.

Yes, there are incorrect database entries in the database. Virtually everything in there was created by other users. Some of them are great and some of them are awful, just like everything created by a big group of people with little oversight. So if you're eating something a lot, you will want to double-check the entry for accuracy. And if it's a generic/homemade entry for something like "tuna salad" or "egg salad sandwich" or "banana cream pie - homemade" it probably should be avoided completely.

For your logging to be accurate, you don't just need accurate entries, you also need to understand how much you're actually eating. That's where the food scale comes in. So that you don't have to guess or use things like "1 banana" (because bananas of different sizes can have very different calorie counts).

Nobody is judging you, we're trying to provide the help that you asked for in your first post. We're also giving you specific examples of what could be better. Nobody is just saying "You're wrong" and leaving it at that.

Thank you.

can i ask a question. in the sense of the banana. i weight the banana in oz. it tells it is an 6 oz banana

and the myfitnessapp says 1 banana 6 oz = (random number)

so this is or is not correct?

I want to use the banana because it is an item with no bar- code.

When I eat a banana, I log the weight in ounces so when I look back at it later I can see the serving size was 5 ounces or 8 ounces or whatever. When I look at your diary recently, I see this: "Market - Banana, 1 banana." No indication of how much it was. So when you are logging your fruit, find an entry that contains information for grams or ounces and log it by that instead of just "1 banana."

Whenever possible you don't want to log the random number, you want to figure out how much banana you're actually eating and log that. Same for things like ground beef or rice or peanut butter or whatever you decide to eat.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Half a tablespoon of peanut butter isn't 12 calories... i hope you are not actually logging that as 12.. lol

i scanned the barcode of the powdered peanut butther pb2 which equaled 2tbsp (12gm) i only used 1/2 serving and thats what fitness app calculated.

We're really not trying to put you down here, @punkinjdm6. We've just all been around and faced your struggle and REPEATEDLY, this is the #1 mistake MFP users make. When you tighten up your logging (ie weighing your food and logging by weight), you see results.

In the beginning, if you're really overweight (I was 140 lbs overweight), you can kind of fudge it and get away with it. The closer you are to your goal weight, the less room for error there is.

No i dont feel this way about what your telling me everyone is being helpful but i hellyeaitskriss is just telling me how wrong i am.

We all have our off days, when we get frustrated on the forums. I've been guilty of coming off too harshly myself.

Another helpful hint is to utilize the USDA nutritional info. If you're seeing too many entries for something with very different calories, see what the USDA has to say about it (just google it!) and pick the entry closest to what USDA says. That's great for individual ingredients like chicken, tomatoes, vegetables, other proteins, honey, milk (based on fatness), etc.

Feel free to message me in the future if you have any questions. For now, just get a food scale and weigh everything you can, including peanut butters, pasta, protein, yogurt, cheese, everything that's prepackaged, etc.

I dont really think im having an off day or being harsh.
    I am naturally a very straight forward person. However nothing i said was harsh.
  • littledainty
    littledainty Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I use that PB2 stuff. It's low calorie, high protein peanut butter powder, and if OP weighs servings by the gram it will be accurate, however 1tbsp (the way I would measure a tablespoon) of it is more like 20-2.5 servings. So it that's what'[s being followed it won't be accurate.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I use that PB2 stuff. It's low calorie, high protein peanut butter powder, and if OP weighs servings by the gram it will be accurate, however 1tbsp (the way I would measure a tablespoon) of it is more like 20-2.5 servings. So it that's what'[s being followed it won't be accurate.

This is my experience with PB2 as well -- if I was using a measuring spoon to measure it, I would be eating a lot more than I was logging. I've found it to be generally true for powdery foods, including protein powder (and that can make a huge difference in calories if you're eating it a lot or higher calorie versions).
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've pm'd you :)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options

I dont really think im having an off day or being harsh.
    I am naturally a very straight forward person. However nothing i said was harsh.

I didn't think so either but OP did and I was trying to pacify the situation and get back on topic.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    However, as i was saying.. I was just waiting for confirmation so that i could share this link

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

And show them how to use it.