How to use the USDA food Database + MFP food Database for accurate logging.

Options

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Morning!
    I'm in Wal-Mart sitting in a chair in an aisle lol
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great post!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Thankk you guyss
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great post! Question-what is the best way to account for preparation type? As an example, if I take 6 oz of chicken breast and then batter and fry it, do I log all the ingredients separately, including the cooking oil? Asking because it is pretty hard to know how much oil the chicken will actually absorb, but it can really affect calorie count!
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    I do log all the ingredients separate.. other people might have their own methods but I honestly have always just logged the oil I add and leave it as is.

Some people have been known to drain whatever is left in the pan and weigh it and log the difference. But unless there is puddles of oil left I wouldn't go through the hassle. But that's just me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'd log it all separately and include all added oil, but I don't deep fry. For deep frying I'd try to find some estimate of the oil absorbed.

The USDA entries have options for raw or cooked (and cooking method), but they won't include things like added oil.

For a marinade I'd just estimate generously.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great thread, Kriss. Should be stickied!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great post! Question-what is the best way to account for preparation type? As an example, if I take 6 oz of chicken breast and then batter and fry it, do I log all the ingredients separately, including the cooking oil? Asking because it is pretty hard to know how much oil the chicken will actually absorb, but it can really affect calorie count!

When I do it, I log everything and then subtract out the weight of the ingredient that is left in the dish-- the exception being oil, because it's too hard to determine whether juices/water got into it, and to weigh that. Any leftover oil that I didn't eat/didn't get absorbed by the food can just be a calorie deficit bonus.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'd log it all separately and include all added oil, but I don't deep fry. For deep frying I'd try to find some estimate of the oil absorbed.

The USDA entries have options for raw or cooked (and cooking method), but they won't include things like added oil.

For a marinade I'd just estimate generously.

Lol.. I can picture people standing on their bathroom scales with their deep fryers before and after
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    So very bump-worthy.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Thank you Lady :)
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    <3 Morning.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Aaaand... good evening... :p
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I know i am talking to myself. :tongue:

But two nice things happened today.

I am currently taking online college courses, i just started in sept and the class ended yesterday, i got 100% for the entire course :) so 1 class down, 11 more to go, i start 2 more in Jan!

Second thing is i had a job interview this afternoon, got the job this evening :)
    Very excited, its not where i want to be in the working world, but these last 6 months have been a struggle trying to find a job thats not BS.. so im hoping this will be the one so i can just work and do my school and not be so stressed.

Its a place called "Edible arrangements".. they make fruit bouquets

kem1frhx0fhg.jpg

f0ps2hwaozwe.jpg

h7gxxga0bwk1.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What are you studying?

We have an Edible Arrangements near us. I walk by the store looking the other way, lalala :)
  • mph323
    Options
    Oh, good for you! Experience should count more than paper, but so often employers won't look past the "date of high school graduation" line. It's really going to open some doors for you!

Haha, I remember you don't like fruit - perfect job :)
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    I wanted to get into the IWK for their dietary department, when i applied for a job opening, they were interested but when they asked if i could show them my diploma when i go in for an interview, they had to deny me as it was mandatory, 16.10 an hour.. so it prompted me to go to NSCC, this 10.85 BS is getting old.. especially when i was making 15.56 before.
  • mph323
    Options
    I wanted to get into the IWK for their dietary department, when i applied for a job opening, they were interested but when they asked if i could show them my diploma when i go in for an interview, they had to deny me as it was mandatory, 16.10 an hour.. so it prompted me to go to NSCC, this 10.85 BS is getting old.. especially when i was making 15.56 before.

It sucks, for sure, especially when you can show that you have the experience and knowledge to make you a good fit for the job.