How to use the USDA food Database + MFP food Database for accurate logging.

Options

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Mmm yeah, 6 years experience in dietary i would of been a good fit, however i guess i can understand a bit.. the hospital + liability, i suppose they need to know im able to read and understand things.. there is a lot of people out there who can somehow get by without being able to read or write.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Mmm yeah, 6 years experience in dietary i would of been a good fit, however i guess i can understand a bit.. the hospital + liability, i suppose they need to know im able to read and understand things.. there is a lot of people out there who can somehow get by without being able to read or write.

Speaking from too many years of experience, my observation is that a high school diploma is no guarantee a person has actual reading comprehension or communication skills. As demonstrated by this thread (and many other posts), yours are exceptional. It's a shame they don't have a probationary program where they could hire you based on experience with the provision you finish your classes within an allotted period of time.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Yeah, would be nice, Dalhousie is the same way though, they always have jobs posted and they won't even contact me lol.

My teacher for my recent class wants me to take a class dealing with writing. My final project with her was building a website, it didn't have to be huge, but i decided to do a blog style recipe site but i also wanted to kind of share my own story, like with losing weight and how i used the foods i blogged to get there, etc. Through the course she's always been telling me that i write well and that I have a way of telling stories and grabbing peoples attention and bringing them in, she said that about the website too. I have actually gotten a lot of comments within the last month or so asking me if i have ever thought about writing.. of course i don't have the imagination for writing anything fictional, Boyfriend thinks i should write for an opinion page or something though.

My grammar and punctuation definitely need some tweaking, since the writing class is considered an elective for my my credits, i will probably take it, I am sure that grammar and all that would probably be something included in that class.
  • mph323
    Options
    Yeah, would be nice, Dalhousie is the same way though, they always have jobs posted and they won't even contact me lol.

My teacher for my recent class wants me to take a class dealing with writing. My final project with her was building a website, it didn't have to be huge, but i decided to do a blog style recipe site but i also wanted to kind of share my own story, like with losing weight and how i used the foods i blogged to get there, etc. Through the course she's always been telling me that i write well and that I have a way of telling stories and grabbing peoples attention and bringing them in, she said that about the website too. I have actually gotten a lot of comments within the last month or so asking me if i have ever thought about writing.. of course i don't have the imagination for writing anything fictional, Boyfriend thinks i should write for an opinion page or something though.

My grammar and punctuation definitely need some tweaking, since the writing class is considered an elective for my my credits, i will probably take it, I am sure that grammar and all that would probably be something included in that class.

You should definitely do it! I think you'd really enjoy it!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Morning bump.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this, but also keep in mind Most countries have a database similar to the USDA one
    For instance Australia/NZ have a shared one NUTTAB http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science/monitoringnutrients/nutrientables/nuttab/pages/default.aspx I really like using that one.
    There is a comprehensive listing per European country about their databases that can be found here http://www.eurofir.org/food-information/food-composition-databases-2/
    Plus for the was of use I I would recommend for Dutch people the caloriechecker for ease of use https://mijn.voedingscentrum.nl/nl/caloriechecker/

The benefit of the USDA database is that they should be on MFP if you know how to find them, but agreed that any other official country database is good and might be easier to use if you are in that country.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I look up most stuff in the USDA database first, then paste the item name and number into the MFP database. In this old man's opinion, the USDA database is clunky and could be vastly improved by a dedicated group of high school coders. But adequate maintenance, let alone improvement, of any US government public service, seems highly unlikely given current attitudes.

I looked at a few of the links in dutchandkiwi's post. NUTTAB seemed promising since it is in the only language I can read. Unsuccessfully looked up poblano peppers which aren't in the USDA database either. I'll happily switch to another data source if there is a better one out there.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Great post. Must be stickied.
    Congrats and best of everything in your studies and new job. :)
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Thank you.
    I'm hoping biology isn't gonna kick me in my lady balls!
  • mph323
    Options
    Thank you.
    I'm hoping biology isn't gonna kick me in my lady balls!

You'll rock it! Really, all you have to do is pass. Once you're past your first job out of high school, nobody cares what your GPA was, they're just looking to check off that piece of paper. Do what it takes to pass. Save you're energy for the classes that touch your soul.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Bump
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    What a disappointing day this was..
  • mph323
    Options

What's up?

My big disappointment today was that I need glasses really, really bad (to the point where you don't want to be on the road when I'm driving) and I can't find a place that takes the crappy insurance we have. So many phone calls, so little info.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

What's up?

My big disappointment today was that I need glasses really, really bad (to the point where you don't want to be on the road when I'm driving) and I can't find a place that takes the crappy insurance we have. So many phone calls, so little info.

Ugh, that sucks, glasses are very expensive.
    I hope its a while before i have to wear them.. =/

Im going to try and nut shell this response.

In April i was forced to resign when i began struggling with my BED again, i ran out of time on employment insurance and couldn't return to that environment. I went from making $16 and hour to $10.85, Pay went way down but my expenses went up because my jobs were always an hour commute i had to start paying $78 a month for a bus pass and my medical benefits got canceled so my BED pills went from $50 to $200.

To survive i had to cash out my RRSP early, I got $11,000 of the $15,000 and had to use quite a bit of it to pay over due bills, pay my father back a couple grand, Etc..

Late summer my building got a unit with a bad infestation of bed bugs, they spread to several units including mine.. I tried everything to get rid of them but the company (Orkin) did not do their job properly and after 5 sprays i came to the conclusion that they were living inside my furniture and Orkin did not treat my furniture (Although later i found out they could of steamed it to kill them but they didn't) So i ended up having to throw away everything, couch, love seat, chair my bed, etc.

I had new furniture picked out at a store in dartmouth, but then the cat got sick and i had to cancel the order to pay for her bills.

When i had started school at NSCC i had gotten an email before the class started talking about medical and dental benefits, It said it also back paid any prescriptions paid for in that wait time.. So i saved the tabs and patiently waited for these 3 months to pass.

I got a letter in the mail from EI saying they over paid me while i was off and i owed them over $400 now, so i now have to make payments to them.

I have spent the last 4 Christmas's alone, So this year, since i still had a little bit of that money left, i purchased a bus ticket to PEI to go see my father who i have not seen since he was treated for prostate cancer. I was going to spend 4 days there and his birthday was included in those days so i had gone out and purchased a couple of gifts to bring with me.

Now it's looking like i may not be able to go with this new job, as they are open 7 days a week and only closed the 25th and 26th. The bus ticket is not refundable. The job is too new to ask for that time off if i end up being scheduled, which is likely, as he urged me to get out of my 2 weeks notice because they are incredibly busy up until Christmas.

I missed a weeks pay so i don't have the money to pay for my medication now for my BED and the three month waiting period was over on the 9th of December. I emailed and asked about it and was told i was sent the email by mistake and i did not qualify for medical benefits since i am doing online classes.

I am having such a hard time now with it and i am on the pills, it's going to be so hard without them, I am worried that im going to end up right back to 300lbs before i know it..

In April even though they taxed me on my RRSP before giving it to me, they are going to tax me again on the entire $15,000 not the $11,000.. Where i am already struggling to make ends meet and pay for everything, i have a feeling they are going to ding me several thousand again and will want me to pay that back. If that happens i won't even be able to pay for a personal medical plan to make my BED pills cheaper.

I feel like I have lost everything these last 9 months. Paying $820 a month for an apartment that all i have for furniture now is a $200 walmart futon. Finding out i won't be getting those medical benefits.. i was desperate for those, it really broke my heart.

Dustin offered to let me move in with him to make my expenses cheaper tonight... but my cat hisses and swats at him because she hates everyone but me.. and he is allergic to cats and he has carpet, i feel like it would just be a miserable experience for him and i don't know if i want to put him through that.

This ended up pretty long.. lol... sorry
  • mph323
    Options
    Oh honey, I'm so sorry! That's a real pile-on of crap all at once - just, horrible. I wish I had some magic advice for you on how to fix it all, but I'm sadly lacking in that department, and well, platitudes suck.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Poor boyfriend tonight.. as soon as i read that email about the benefits all i did was cry and cry. He doesn't know what to do.. so he just hugs me cause i told him that would probably be the best thing, i tend to get irritable when im upset if im asked too many questions.. lol

I got a call today from another Shannex nursing home.. I had submitted a resume with them before getting hired at edible arrangements, I applied for Kitchen wait staff, which is just a fancy term for what i used to do which was dietary, so i had 6 years experience. They asked me to come in for an interview next week, so I am going to that. There is potential to get myself back up to 14.45 an hour with this job and i could really use something good right now.
  • mph323
    Options
    Poor boyfriend tonight.. as soon as i read that email about the benefits all i did was cry and cry. He doesn't know what to do.. so he just hugs me cause i told him that would probably be the best thing, i tend to get irritable when im upset if im asked too many questions.. lol

I got a call today from another Shannex nursing home.. I had submitted a resume with them before getting hired at edible arrangements, I applied for Kitchen wait staff, which is just a fancy term for what i used to do which was dietary, so i had 6 years experience. They asked me to come in for an interview next week, so I am going to that. There is potential to get myself back up to 14.45 an hour with this job and i could really use something good right now.

Yay, at least a ray of sunshine out there! Fingers crossed, especially for insurance.

Dustin sounds like a really nice guy, and yeah, they really don't know what to do when we cry, and sometimes hugs are just the right thing.

Hugs.