bump
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump :drinker:
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I know there is no way to spot reduce or spot tone but my body fat loss is starting to become a problem beacuse it is so unequal.

You can see my ribs in my front and back and you can see my spine, my collar bone is sticking out like mad and my husband/family/friends are starting to tell me I am too thin.

I am JUST now in the heathy BMI ( I am 178 pounds and 5'11 female 23 years old )

While my upper stomach, ribs, collarbone, and face are all sunken in, my hips and thighs are still jiggily.

I did add weight training to try and tone the back and such while still doing calorie deficiet and cardio to reduce weight and body fat, I would like to get down to 155.

I am scared to keep losing at the pace, in these areas that at 155 I will look sickly. Advice?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I know there is no way to spot reduce or spot tone but my body fat loss is starting to become a problem beacuse it is so unequal.

You can see my ribs in my front and back and you can see my spine, my collar bone is sticking out like mad and my husband/family/friends are starting to tell me I am too thin.

I am JUST now in the heathy BMI ( I am 178 pounds and 5'11 female 23 years old )

While my upper stomach, ribs, collarbone, and face are all sunken in, my hips and thighs are still jiggily.

I did add weight training to try and tone the back and such while still doing calorie deficiet and cardio to reduce weight and body fat, I would like to get down to 155.

I am scared to keep losing at the pace, in these areas that at 155 I will look sickly. Advice?

Hey! :)

Hips and thighs is usually the last place fat will leave from, and from what I can see in your pictures and from what you've told me, that is what's gonna go next, I mean, the best advice I can give is, lift heavy with a strength program and keep going - you can always gain weight back, you need to experiment with your body sometimes, The only other option would be to gain weight slowly whilst lifting heavy to increase your muscle mass first. It comes down to making a choice really.. :)

ritch
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Ignore BMI imo, it's a terrible measure of actual health as it doesn't take into consideration lean muscle mass and is an average cross section making it even less useful if you're taller or shorter than average. Body fat % is a much better tool.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Ignore BMI imo, it's a terrible measure of actual health as it doesn't take into consideration lean muscle mass and is an average cross section making it even less useful if you're taller or shorter than average. Body fat % is a much better tool.

Also a good point, should have mentioned that above!

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    BMI may not be an ideal measure for a fit person; however, for the regular Joe or Jane with a "pouch" and obvious large amount of body fat, it may be appropriate and may be the only tool that a doctor has to scare the hell out of them so they can get back in shape.
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Ok, first things first, I say it is a poor investment in time, because an hour on a treadmill, is not many calories burned, when you could eat 200 calories less and achieve the same effect.

Mathematics shows cardio is a poor investment in time for fat loss.

Obviously you're going to lose fat, at your weight because you're heavy - but it isn't the cardio thats doing it, its the fact you're in a caloric deficit. Science.

You're making too much of a broad generalization of what cardio is for your point to have any validity. Think about it this way. Does 30 minutes of walking at 2 mph burn the same calories as running hard for the same 30 minutes? Not hardly. You're basically saying that all cardio is just plugging away on an elliptical or treadmill at a light to medium intensity.

I just spent an hour and ten minutes doing "The Fight: Lights Out" and "Move Fitness", and burned off around 935 calories according to the two programs. Now before you tell me that I really only burned 200 calories, let me add this: at the end of a workout like this, I'm so tired I'm ready to fall over, and I'm drenched with sweat (I usually have to change my T-shirt halfway through because it's so drenched that I have a hard time moving comfortably).

More importantly, the math adds up. I've got MFP set to lose 2 lbs a week, and I typically eat around 250 cals less per day than my target. To date, I've lost almost exactly 2.5 lbs per week. The point being, if I had been over-inflating my exercise calories all this time, then I would have eaten too much, and I wouldn't be losing the weight I have.

The bottom line is this: if you're going to say that cardio is a poor investment in time for the amount of calorie burn, you really have to clarify what kind of cardio you're talking about. There's such a broad range of intensity that can be found in various cardio workouts that you really can't just lump them all together.

I know that there's a lot of articles on the internet right now that are endorsing the idea that cardio is worthless for weight loss and you HAVE to do strength training instead, but honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty new idea, and it's probable that in another couple of years, everyone will be saying that lifting is worthless and the only way to succeed is to do (insert flavor of the month here).
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Ok, first things first, I say it is a poor investment in time, because an hour on a treadmill, is not many calories burned, when you could eat 200 calories less and achieve the same effect.

Mathematics shows cardio is a poor investment in time for fat loss.

Obviously you're going to lose fat, at your weight because you're heavy - but it isn't the cardio thats doing it, its the fact you're in a caloric deficit. Science.

You're making too much of a broad generalization of what cardio is for your point to have any validity. Think about it this way. Does 30 minutes of walking at 2 mph burn the same calories as running hard for the same 30 minutes? Not hardly. You're basically saying that all cardio is just plugging away on an elliptical or treadmill at a light to medium intensity.

I just spent an hour and ten minutes doing "The Fight: Lights Out" and "Move Fitness", and burned off around 935 calories according to the two programs. Now before you tell me that I really only burned 200 calories, let me add this: at the end of a workout like this, I'm so tired I'm ready to fall over, and I'm drenched with sweat (I usually have to change my T-shirt halfway through because it's so drenched that I have a hard time moving comfortably).

More importantly, the math adds up. I've got MFP set to lose 2 lbs a week, and I typically eat around 250 cals less per day than my target. To date, I've lost almost exactly 2.5 lbs per week. The point being, if I had been over-inflating my exercise calories all this time, then I would have eaten too much, and I wouldn't be losing the weight I have.

The bottom line is this: if you're going to say that cardio is a poor investment in time for the amount of calorie burn, you really have to clarify what kind of cardio you're talking about. There's such a broad range of intensity that can be found in various cardio workouts that you really can't just lump them all together.

I know that there's a lot of articles on the internet right now that are endorsing the idea that cardio is worthless for weight loss and you HAVE to do strength training instead, but honestly, in the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty new idea, and it's probable that in another couple of years, everyone will be saying that lifting is worthless and the only way to succeed is to do (insert flavor of the month here).

Why would anyone say weight training is worthless? It changes body composition - Cardio does not..

You may have read the link I posted above, if you didn't, go ahead.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    bed timee now, will bump tomorrow/answeer Q's in morning if there is any new ones
  • eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Why would anyone say weight training is worthless? It changes body composition - Cardio does not..

You may have read the link I posted above, if you didn't, go ahead.

I just said that because it seems like every few years, a lot of fitness "gurus" like to throw out conventional thought and endorse some new idea that is "the only way".

I did read that article, BTW, and it was just about as narrow minded about this topic as you seem to be. His argument is that if you burn off 350 calls on an elliptical, you're just going to turn around and eat back those calories at Starbucks the same night, so why bother?

And before you say cardio doesn't change body composition, do a google search for insanity workout results.
  • andreachgiraldo
    Options
    Why Im gaining weight?.. Im 22 years old Im a female I work out 4-5 days per week I run, I swim, I walk .Im eating healthy please help me Im desperate .. When Im going to start losing weight again? How long I'd be stuck or gaining weight Can I do something to avoid the weight gain? And Im just curious a friend told me to drink 1 cup of milk (fat free) after my workout if it is intense of course is that good? I appreciate your help
  • Anewdress
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all of the feedback and answers you already gave!

I am 5'2" and 142 pounds (64.4 kg). I see a dietitian on a monthly basis and she provided me with a food plan. I eat foods from that plan according to the amounts she advised.
    I also track my food here at mfp.
    question 1 and 2 are related. First: I hardly ever hit my calorie goals at mfp. (only on the days I don't eat what my dietitian says - but that usually not healthy food so I don't want to do that too much!) When I work out it is almost impossible to hit my numbers.
    My second thing is that I always have too many sugars in my food. I eat two pieces of fruit and it's already in the red numbers. If I make smoothies with fruit and almond milk too add some calories to my diary in a healthy way sugarlevels go way up again.

Any advice?

Thank you a lot for all of the advice you already gave here!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump thanks!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Hi Ritchi,
    Thanks for taking time out.

I think I will high jack this topic for a few reasons.
    1 - One does not need to be certified/educated ( higher Ed) to be successfull.
    --There are alot of people Who do not have degrees in their field who are successfull
    -- With a show of hands, who would not take advice from Arnold or Hugh Jackman?

2 - Higher Ed teachers do spew (sometimes) their own adgenda.

3. Maybe mad bro science, but cardio??? You have to exert energy. Energy has to come from some place. There are reports out there that state that if you mix cardio with lifting is better then just lifting alone. kinda makes you go hmmm...

4. I am 200 lbs, I do not thing you would be giving me the same advice to somebody else, who is 400lbs even if we are trying to loose the same armount of weight

Just my 2cents...
    thansk again
  • laura6009
    laura6009 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just loving your advise, bump for later x
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MQ1992
    MQ1992 Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a question, i am a female on week 4 of p90x, my weight is perfect however i have a lot of fat! I find it hard to incorporate protein in my diet everyday, do you recommend whey protein ? And what advice would you give to get rid of the "skinny fat" body
    Thanks