Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    sw33tp3a1 wrote: »
    My daughter was a victim of online bullying last year and the effects of that was devastating. As a parent we say things about other adults in front our kids and we forget our kids are listening and they sponge that negativity up thinking that's okay. It all starts at home, you're absolutely right. I really hope he is able to surpass this horrible experience and not let him be defined by it. And for those parents with bully kids, please do something about it.

I absolutely agree. Social Media is something we didn't have to deal with as kids and it's scary to think of how much influence and power it can have over adolescents. I can't even imagine growing up how my kids are now, where value is placed on likes and shares and comments. The world is changing, but bullies have always been around. It's just a lot easier to do it now.

Some might think I'm overly protective but I have decided to not give her access to any social media sites. She doesn't have a phone and the laptop that she has was given at school which is very well controlled as they've blocked many websites and turning off internet use automatically at 11 pm every night. That's as much access to the Internet she has now. Now her focus isn't on likes or comments but she has turned that focus into her education.

How old is she, if you don't mind my asking? My son is young (6) and I worry about this sort of thing for when he gets older. I'm undecided on how I feel about the Internet, social media, etc. I didn't have real access to it until I was 14 (and that was to play Neopets and check email) and no real access to talk to other people on chat services until I was 16. And that was the young(ish) days of the Net.

I hear and read stories about children (and adults) who were bullied so much or threatened so often through online means that they end up harming or killing themselves. :neutral:

She's about to turn 14. My 8 year old constantly asks for a Phone. My oldest just laughs and says good luck with that one lol

Oh good, there's hope then. I hate knowing that I might be excluding him from things that his friends are participating in as he gets older because I really don't want to hand over a smartphone to him or don't want him to have all the Internet access other children might have. So we're in that process of trying to figure out what is and isn't appropriate.. and it's weird thinking about this and realizing that my parents didn't have to go through any of this with me. I was a teenager by the time we had access to the net, so I mostly self governed and stayed out of trouble (mostly).

Its a catch 22-you don't want them to have a phone to protect them but because all the other kids have one, they get singled out and possibly bullied for it. I don't see why any of these young kids need a smart phone can see potential benefits of having a phone but certainly not a smart phone.

Yes, I was considering a basic phone so he could call for help when/if he needs it or be able to tell us where he is, but I don't know if I want him having a fully capable smart phone with access to the Internet. I feel kinda overprotective being that way, but man.. both my husband and I full well know the dangers of the Internet and the *kitten* people that can inhabit the world.

Thankfully, right now he and kids his age are happy with computer games focused on learning, funny videos of cute animals and cartoons. :) I have another year or so at least to think it over.

I don't have kids but I do wonder what I'd do in this situation. I don't like the idea of doing something just so they fit in esp when I feel that these parents are taking the easy way out. Yet obviously I don't want my imaginary kid to be bullied. The problems that an imaginary father faces huh lol

Do you ever worry that even the learning is happening on computer screens? I know interactivity probably captures a kid's imagination more but its no wonder that kids have got their heads so stuck in phones these days
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    My daughter was a victim of online bullying last year and the effects of that was devastating. As a parent we say things about other adults in front our kids and we forget our kids are listening and they sponge that negativity up thinking that's okay. It all starts at home, you're absolutely right. I really hope he is able to surpass this horrible experience and not let him be defined by it. And for those parents with bully kids, please do something about it.

I absolutely agree. Social Media is something we didn't have to deal with as kids and it's scary to think of how much influence and power it can have over adolescents. I can't even imagine growing up how my kids are now, where value is placed on likes and shares and comments. The world is changing, but bullies have always been around. It's just a lot easier to do it now.

Some might think I'm overly protective but I have decided to not give her access to any social media sites. She doesn't have a phone and the laptop that she has was given at school which is very well controlled as they've blocked many websites and turning off internet use automatically at 11 pm every night. That's as much access to the Internet she has now. Now her focus isn't on likes or comments but she has turned that focus into her education.

How old is she, if you don't mind my asking? My son is young (6) and I worry about this sort of thing for when he gets older. I'm undecided on how I feel about the Internet, social media, etc. I didn't have real access to it until I was 14 (and that was to play Neopets and check email) and no real access to talk to other people on chat services until I was 16. And that was the young(ish) days of the Net.

I hear and read stories about children (and adults) who were bullied so much or threatened so often through online means that they end up harming or killing themselves. :neutral:

She's about to turn 14. My 8 year old constantly asks for a Phone. My oldest just laughs and says good luck with that one lol

Oh good, there's hope then. I hate knowing that I might be excluding him from things that his friends are participating in as he gets older because I really don't want to hand over a smartphone to him or don't want him to have all the Internet access other children might have. So we're in that process of trying to figure out what is and isn't appropriate.. and it's weird thinking about this and realizing that my parents didn't have to go through any of this with me. I was a teenager by the time we had access to the net, so I mostly self governed and stayed out of trouble (mostly).

Its a catch 22-you don't want them to have a phone to protect them but because all the other kids have one, they get singled out and possibly bullied for it. I don't see why any of these young kids need a smart phone can see potential benefits of having a phone but certainly not a smart phone.

Yes, I was considering a basic phone so he could call for help when/if he needs it or be able to tell us where he is, but I don't know if I want him having a fully capable smart phone with access to the Internet. I feel kinda overprotective being that way, but man.. both my husband and I full well know the dangers of the Internet and the *kitten* people that can inhabit the world.

Thankfully, right now he and kids his age are happy with computer games focused on learning, funny videos of cute animals and cartoons. :) I have another year or so at least to think it over.

A lot of carriers don't even have regular phones anymore. All they have is smart phones. I didn't want to get my mom a smart phone, but that was all AT&T had. They no longer had non-smart phones.

Track Fone still makes them. They might not by the time he's old enough to really need/use a phone, though. :neutral:

The smart phone I have from them works pretty well, but I wish the camera were better quality. Ah well, that's what DSLRs are for. :D

Dang I forgot about Track Fone. LOL
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I think this whole thing has gotten out of control in this day and age. Back when I was a kid we were free to bully anyone we wanted. Now it’s so frowned upon I find it hard to have any fun. What about my feelings? My rights? Why isn’t anyone fighting for what’s right for me?

:joy:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I applaud the parents keeping unnecessary technology from their kids. I managed to get by without a phone when I was a kid, as did most of us because cell phones didn't exist when we were teenagers. I was a teenager when beepers were the thing. I only had one because I paid for it myself, with my part time job money. It seems like a lot of parents get their kids phone, tablets, etc as a way to keep them busy so they don't have to watch them, or raise them. That's where a lot of the bullying problems come from. Kids too young have technology they don't need with no kind of parental controls.

I'm not sure I understand. How are a lot of the bullying problems coming from technology? Are we talking about internet bullying in this case?

My kids are 7 & 5 and they both have tablets. I'm not sure how keeping kids away from modern technology is a good thing...they use them for entertainment as well as school stuff that requires either a computer or tablet to complete the project/homework.

We do limit screen time and have parental controls in place, but I think it's pretty important for kids to keep up with and learn the technology that they will be working with going forward. They do not yet have phones...that will likely come in middle school when they'll be a bit more independent, home alone, etc and need to get a hold of one of us as we do not have a landline.

ETA: Verizon still provides basic phones.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    Great Post!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I applaud the parents keeping unnecessary technology from their kids. I managed to get by without a phone when I was a kid, as did most of us because cell phones didn't exist when we were teenagers. I was a teenager when beepers were the thing. I only had one because I paid for it myself, with my part time job money. It seems like a lot of parents get their kids phone, tablets, etc as a way to keep them busy so they don't have to watch them, or raise them. That's where a lot of the bullying problems come from. Kids too young have technology they don't need with no kind of parental controls.

I'm not sure I understand. How are a lot of the bullying problems coming from technology? Are we talking about internet bullying in this case?

My kids are 7 & 5 and they both have tablets. I'm not sure how keeping kids away from modern technology is a good thing...they use them for entertainment as well as school stuff that requires either a computer or tablet to complete the project/homework.

We do limit screen time and have parental controls in place, but I think it's pretty important for kids to keep up with and learn the technology that they will be working with going forward. They do not yet have phones...that will likely come in middle school when they'll be a bit more independent, home alone, etc and need to get a hold of one of us as we do not have a landline.

Back in my day, if a kid said something nasty or started a rumour about you, heck it took all day if not longer to spread. Now one person says one thing online (true or not) and boom it's viral.

Not to mention, smart phones or tablets with cameras, it's now really easy to take pics of people, post it, and watch them get shamed online. In my day you had to get a camera, buy some film, take the pic, develope the film, pick up pics and then you had a least a good week+ before you got called ugly.
  • PAFC84
    Options

We're talking about technology making it easier for bullies to "enter" the home via chatrooms, social media etc. Limiting screen time is great but I worry that not enough parents do it adequately. Instead of spending time with their kids they plonk them in front of the TV/computer and let them get on with....anything.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    more_skal wrote: »
    Thank you for speaking up. This place is full of bullies.

I'm glad I am not the only one that notices this, I wish there were more active mods. I see way to many new people get bullied on here because they are misinformed about X topic, or people who are simply trying to offer advice get bullied because someone doesn't agree with them. There's also a lot of bullies that come out of the wood works as soon as 1 person calls someone out, because "ganging up" on someone is apparently necessary? It's really sad considering this is suppose to be a motivational and friendly environment, but on the internet that requires very active moderation.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »

Back in my day, if a kid said something nasty or started a rumour about you, heck it took all day if not longer to spread. Now one person says one thing online (true or not) and boom it's viral.

Not to mention, smart phones or tablets with cameras, it's now really easy to take pics of people, post it, and watch them get shamed online. In my day you had to get a camera, buy some film, take the pic, develope the film, pick up pics and then you had a least a good week+ before you got called ugly.

Ok...but none of this technology is going anywhere and is only going to get more advanced...and in the case of my kids, it's basically a requirement for school.

The only thing I know to do about it is to limit screen time and what sites they're allowed to go to.

• The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    This makes me sad, as I am sure it does most. Upside? Kid sounds like he has some optimism. Which, is more than I can say about some adults I have encountered. He is able to see the bad, not wish it upon others, and hope that it will improve for him. In time, I hope he can develop upon his mentality and watch the words of those unkind people have less and less meaning.

In other news: children are the worst.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options

Ok...but none of this technology is going anywhere and is only going to get more advanced...and in the case of my kids, it's basically a requirement for school.

The only thing I know to do about it is to limit screen time and what sites they're allowed to go to.

I realize it's not going anywhere. I'm not saying throw all smartphones in a bonfire like it's some 'risque' book. Just that now, technology does make it easier for bullying to happen. Jmho.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options

I don't have kids but I do wonder what I'd do in this situation. I don't like the idea of doing something just so they fit in esp when I feel that these parents are taking the easy way out. Yet obviously I don't want my imaginary kid to be bullied. The problems that an imaginary father faces huh lol

Do you ever worry that even the learning is happening on computer screens? I know interactivity probably captures a kid's imagination more but its no wonder that kids have got their heads so stuck in phones these days

Most definitely. They learn various things on computers at school at designated times, but here at home I rarely let him touch the computer unless he's watching something with me. Other kids in his class already spend most of the their time on iPads or smart phones at home, which baffles me. I mean, I let our son watch television and he helps me play certain games (Minecraft, Galaga, Tetris, Pac-Man), but I only let him play on the tablet (which is mine) when we go on long trips or as a special treat when we need to go somewhere where a long wait is probably going to happen.

I do worry a lot that his (and all children) access to television/screen time is going to severely hinder their imagination or ability to be patient later on. We live in a time when everything is so instantaneous. I bet it will be utterly baffling to him when he gets to be a teenager and realizes that a time existed when kids didn't have any of this technology.

I'm beginning to understand how my folks must feel. :D
  • PAFC84
    Options

I realize it's not going anywhere. I'm not saying throw all smartphones in a bonfire like it's some 'risque' book. Just that now, technology does make it easier for bullying to happen. Jmho.

I worry that a lot of technology is just technology for technology's sake. I see things like talk of integrating humans and technology and wonder is this really necessary. Do I need lenses that allow me to answer a phone. Its great sci-fi but it doesn't in my opinion make for great real life. But that's another conversation.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

I agree...I'm just curious as to what to do about it.

All I know to do is to educate my kids and let them know that there are just *kitten* people in the world and there are people who can be even shittier hiding behind a computer and social media. The other day I had someone from some group I follow on FB go off on me and a bunch of other people and started saying all kinds of nasty things...my kids could tell I was surprised and I told them what was going on and they asked me what I was going to do. I just told them that there are some really bad people out there and I just hit "block"
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options

I think bullying comes from the fact that kids are picking up habits of what they see or read online. The parents who expect technology to babysit their kids in particular. The parents aren't spending time with their kids, telling them right from wrong. Kids getting their influence from stuff they see online when they aren't being monitored. I'm not saying all parents that allow their kids time with technology are like this. I know some people who monitor and limit their kids. It's unfortunate some parents don't do that.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    Apparently he was using the N word
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    more_skal wrote: »
    Mandygring wrote: »
    Oh yeah I can't watch that either. I hate bullies and can't stand to see anyone bullied. It really breaks my heart. I'm a nice person so I've had my fair share as most ppl have.
    Oh yeah I can't watch that either. I hate bullies and can't stand to see anyone bullied. It really breaks my heart. I'm a nice person so I've had my fair share as most ppl have.

yes you are mandygring snake-in-eye

Lol you know it :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I think this whole thing has gotten out of control in this day and age. Back when I was a kid we were free to bully anyone we wanted. Now it’s so frowned upon I find it hard to have any fun. What about my feelings? My rights? Why isn’t anyone fighting for what’s right for me?

Ok Judd...

zxhzlmev8lfr.jpg