Bullies

Options
Just_Mel_
Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
edited December 2017 in Chit-Chat
Has anyone seen the video going around about the young boy Keaton Jones who asked his mom to pick him up from school because he was afraid to be bullied at lunch?

https://youtu.be/kz1xzBYppW8

It's absolutely heartbreaking.
We need to be better parents and just better people in general. Even on here. I'm honestly sick of seeing all the negative crap and internet bullying. It's bad enough when kids do it, but pretty sad and pathetic when grown ups still do it.

Let's be kind y'all. Seriously. We have no clue what people are struggling with.

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    UGH...so very sad. :'(
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I can't even watch it, I can tell by the cover pic that it will break my heart. I whole heartedly agree, lead by example. And by working with families daily, I can say that parenting has become way too lax and too many parents are afraid of being disliked by their kids. Again lead be example, be a kind person. Don't let your kids be a-holes.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    True. Kids can be especially cruel, although as adults we're often not much better. I think kids having access to social media has made the problem worse. It used to be that when you got home you were safe, but now the bullying can follow you into the "safety" of your own room.

Parents too often have no idea what is going on in their kids' lives and whilst when they are at school that is unavoidable to an extent, I would urge parents to place more restrictions and emphasis on monitoring kids' screen time.

It's good that celebrities like Chris Evans have replied to him and offered him and his mum tickets to the Avengers Premiere next year.
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. I hope I've never hurt anyone's feelings unless of course they deserved it. I was tagged in the "intimidated" thread and it makes me wonder how I come across. If I'm being honest though, I never did understand how adults can let themselves be bullied on the internet and MFP of all places. *shrugs*
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    It's hard to not come across as intimidating when you are careful who you let close, real life or internet. I have been trying to do better, and hope I haven't hurt anyone here. Trust me it wasn't on purpose. I do and say what I do and say because I'm trying not to be the one hurt.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I can't watch that either. I hate bullies and can't stand to see anyone bullied. It really breaks my heart. I'm a nice person so I've had my fair share as most ppl have.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Just_J_Now wrote: »
    Oh goodness. I hope I've never hurt anyone's feelings unless of course they deserved it. I was tagged in the "intimidated" thread and it makes me wonder how I come across. If I'm being honest though, I never did understand how adults can let themselves be bullied on the internet and MFP of all places. *shrugs*

Some people take offence more easily than others, even as adults some people are very sensitive; that's not a criticism btw. The thing about the internet is often you can't be sure of someone's tone and when you factor that into peoples' "worse case scenario" interpretation, it can be a recipe for disaster. Also it offers a lot of anonymity which allows people to spew their the hatred.

You don't need to apologise to me though. I'll just take the money ;)
  • more_skal
    more_skal Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    Oh yeah I can't watch that either. I hate bullies and can't stand to see anyone bullied. It really breaks my heart. I'm a nice person so I've had my fair share as most ppl have.

yes you are mandygring snake-in-eye
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,157 Member
    Options
    Good post Mel!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    As someone who has been repeatedly treated like crap behind the scenes by someone who is very good at looking like a victim in public, I just want to remind people that these things are not always as black and white as they seem.

Having said that, I’ve been accused of being a bully myself. I know my sense of humor can be woefully misconstrued though, because I can’t actually hurt a fly. Well that’s a lie, I can kill those by the boatload.. but I did cry once when I saw a moth dying.

I know this won’t be the popular opinion and you’ll just have to take my word for it that I’m not advocating that people be jerks, but it is good to remember that the internet is not a playground. The vast majority of us are adults. And I think most of us understand the old adage that ‘hurt people hurt people’. This is what I believe is the case for the person who was so ugly to me for months. That doesn’t excuse his behavior at all. But I know it’s complicated. Luckily I wear a helmet when I’m on the internet.

And a full body oven mitt, but that’s a story for another day.

I can appreciate the sentiment behind this post. I can also appreciate the sentiment behind the posts of the ‘bullies’ who believe they are sticking up for people they care about.

Not everything is handled perfectly, especially when emotions flare.

you frighten me.

a lot.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    As someone who has been repeatedly treated like crap behind the scenes by someone who is very good at looking like a victim in public, I just want to remind people that these things are not always as black and white as they seem.

Having said that, I’ve been accused of being a bully myself. I know my sense of humor can be woefully misconstrued though, because I can’t actually hurt a fly. Well that’s a lie, I can kill those by the boatload.. but I did cry once when I saw a moth dying.

I know this won’t be the popular opinion and you’ll just have to take my word for it that I’m not advocating that people be jerks, but it is good to remember that the internet is not a playground. The vast majority of us are adults. And I think most of us understand the old adage that ‘hurt people hurt people’. This is what I believe is the case for the person who was so ugly to me for months. That doesn’t excuse his behavior at all. But I know it’s complicated. Luckily I wear a helmet when I’m on the internet.

I can appreciate the sentiment behind this post. I can also appreciate the sentiment behind the posts of the ‘bullies’ who believe they are sticking up for people they care about.

you frighten me.

a lot.

Post reported :smirk:
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,157 Member
    Options

Very well said and I agree. I would have preferred seeing this in a Velfie though.
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options

Very well said and I agree. I would have preferred seeing this in a Velfie though.

As someone who helped me out through it all and was still kind to that person, I very much appreciate you.