Weird regional foods

Options
124»

Replies

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    North Carolina people eat something called "Liver Mush". I think it's corn meal and liver, add spices. I hadn't heard of it before moving up here and I'm not a fan of liver but liver mush is actually delicious. I eat it with a traditional breakfast with eggs and pancakes.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I'm not originally from Oklahoma, but when I moved here as a teenager I was disgusted to learn that a lot of people put chopped hardboiled eggs in their thanksgiving stuffing and gravy. Gross.

You mean some people don't?
    I remember talking to someone from Florida i think it was, they was eating grits for dinner alongside thier meal and I just remember thinking, grits? What the heck is that? I always thought America was so far ahead of the rest of the world with everything and here is someone eating grits? Grit means a type of dirt in the UK lol

I'm sure it was grits they said. Mind you, they did live in a type of trailer park so I dunno. Obviously they didn't have money so is grits a type of cheap food to buy ? I dunno

Grits are called Polenta by rich people and in Italian restaurants.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that people in Oklahoma like fried pickles, but I've lived in Oklahoma all my life and never met anyone who likes them. Rarely see them in restaurants.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that people in Oklahoma like fried pickles, but I've lived in Oklahoma all my life and never met anyone who likes them. Rarely see them in restaurants.

I love fried pickles and regular pickles.....and pickled eggs BUT I refuse to even try pickled pig's feet!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Chicken riggies and salt potatoes. Awww yeah. B)

You must be from Central NY, Utica area. I grew up around Syracuse, NY and salt potatoes were always at Summer get togethers. I haven’t had them in years.
  • LittleHearseDriver
    LittleHearseDriver Posts: 2,677 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sundrop & Moon pies
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options

Fried pickles are bomb! They have Pickle-O's at Sonic, but I'm not a fan.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    ..... you folks sure eat some weird *kitten*.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options

I tried them once. I didn't see the thrill
  • andfivesixseveneight
    Options
    Let’s see...
    Fried chicken gizzards, head cheese, little sausages slow cooked in grape jelly and ketchup, pickled eggs with beets, mashed potato candy, and pawpaw pudding come to mind.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My friends thought I was crazy when I made my Polish-Russian grandmother's recipe for pierogi (potato & cheese dumplings, boiled, and then sauteed in butter and onions). They insisted pierogi is supposed to be fried, which I assumed was some blasphemous Americanized way of making it. Then I heard that, supposedly, frying them is the Russian method, and sauteeing them is the Polish method, but I don't know if that's true. Maybe it's an East Coast versus West Coast thing, since I live in California but my grandparents lived in Pennsylvania. Regardless, I will ALWAYS make it sauteed!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »

Are pickled eggs a thing everywhere?

pickled eggs?

I bet you're a load of fun in a crowded elevator...