Why Do People at th Gym never look around?

Options

Replies

• EnviousDan
    EnviousDan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Because I don't like it when people look at me. I'm not super fit or toned. It's why I'm there! Yet people seem to glare with judgement that I can't squat as much or whatever. :(
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I'm there to exercise not to people watch... I find it disturbing if someone is watching me (some one did yesterday forced me to move to a new area) A quick glance is alright but dont keep staring or trying to make eye contact,
    some people tend to already feel self conscious with the moves they are doing, most people arent there to hook up, we're afraid 'youre' going to try to offer pointers the list goes on....... its just distracting. Eye's down, headphones in, keep up the pace up thats all you gotta do. smh just go to a bar or a tea party for eye contact i.e.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVFUqn67Mm8_PvBbEG8cZE7tdERlihxSvkGHqA0N-alHHJA4m0GA
  • D_Dub
    D_Dub Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    People go to the gym to focus on themselves. It's neither good or bad, it's just their "me time". When I was heavier I thought everybody was looking at me thinking what is that fat guy doing here where only fit people are supposed to be. Then one day I realized nobody in the gym even sees me or gives me a second thought and even if they did it was a positive one. It was liberating to know I was almost invisible so I started focusing on me and stopped thinking about what others were thinking.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    At Body Pump our instructor says look around and see how others are doing. It can either help you or help them.
    Everyone is always commenting on weight used and how low someone can squat or jump.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I find the opposite. Guys on the bike next to me will turn to stare (OK, 'guy', it happened once).

I find it's the competition. I always see the girls on the machine next to me trying to compete with the levels I have my machine on! Which is pointless, because I WILL get stubborn and outrun you, *kitten*!

**I also watch the guys lifting**
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I generally take off my glasses at the gym so can't see anyone further than 15 feet away. I hope people think I am starring, but through is I am just starring off into space....LOL
  • JDySart777
    JDySart777 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my glasses or contact lenses, so can't see much passed a metre from my face so no point looking round.

Same here!!!! Everything is too blurry so I can hardly tell if Im looking at a person or a punching bag...my vision is so poor

I laughed out loud at this ^......person or a punching bag...LOL :laugh:
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I purposefully avoid eye contact with strangers pretty much everywhere. at work i'm paid to be open and friendly but on my time you don't exist. it's nothing personal, it's just that people pee me off.
    I might notice someone if I have a reason to interact with them, if it can't be avoided. I might even like what I see. but the rest of the time, nothing.
  • UndercoverAngel74
    UndercoverAngel74 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would love to go to a gym where people weren't watching everyone else!! At my local Gold's, the people are terrible!!! The worst is when you are bent over with your butt in the air or using the adduction/abduction machines and your legs are wide open, the guys will actually stop to talk to you!!! Terribly awkward!
  • xmeganxtarax
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym, I get in and get things done. In my zone, so full concentration on my workout. And I would be too busy huffing and puffing to notice anyone else.

^this but I'm a bit weird so if I catch someone checking me out I stare right back making eye contact. Usually works pretty well, hahaha
  • Lennonluv2
    Lennonluv2 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I look around a bit.

Enough to have noticed some of the hot guys and the girls who think they are hotter and holier than though.

Everyone is very focused, it is what it is.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago I was fit, lean and tiny... lifting hard, breezing through double spin classes... I don't think I was looking around much because I was getting on with my training, didn't want to get chatted up by some of the creeps.

After a bit of a life crisis I have gained short of 40lb... now I don't look because I don't want to catch my eye in the mirrors everywhere, I don't want to catch the eye of all the "look at meeee" 20-somethings in their micro shorts and bra tops checking each other out competetively and who never miss the opportunity to look at themselves when they go to the water fountain etc.

At the moment I prefer to be outdoors and by myself.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I look at myself...a lot..in the mirror. Because I want my form right...but because I'm hot too. <rolls eyes> But mostly because I'm checking my form...well and I like women in yoga pants....

But I also don't want to be hit on at the gym, and my gym is a testosterone factory...

tumblr_mqrr1abgpl1rgcwu3o1_500.jpg

This guy has it down. He stands right behind the hot girls and takes pictures. .
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I work out with my DH so while he's doing a set, I've got nothing to do but breathe & look around. So I do. CASUALLY :huh:
    I might check out someone's form while squatting or bench pressing but only 1 time. I don't continue to 'study' the same person for any more than one rep, cause then it's my turn to work.

People watch me too, probably for the same reason I watch them, cause they're there & I don't have blinders on unless I'm in front of the bar. Most of the time I'm in my own world with my Ipod on and communicate with DH through hand signals & eye contact.
    We've been doing it this way for about 10 years so I'm pretty comfortable in the gym.
  • julk_1212
    julk_1212 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I try not to. I don't like people looking at me. To be honest I find myself looking a little at other girls... Inspiration in a way lol. Funny and odd maybe, but if some gal has a good body and is working hard on a particular machine I may want to give that machine a try. But it's like a quick glance, notate, move on.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The people at your gym are really good at sneaking their glances while they pretend to think of nothing except their workout. Are you new at the gym? At my gym, people started saying hi after they got used to seeing me. Also, if you chat with a trainer, he or she might introduce you to other people.

I'm an introvert, and it would be like me to ignore everyone, but I had an epiphany that it would actually make going to the gym easier and smoother for me if I said "hi" and gave an occasional nod of recognition to people instead of pretending that I didn't notice they were there. I'm not a jerk. I'm just shy.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ...well and I like women in yoga pants....

Ahh yoga pants. They are like the flame to the moth. You could try not to look but eventually you will lose the willpower battle, instinct will take over, and you will go full on creeper.

can-i-have-your-number-o.gif
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I look around at the speed of nearby treadmills to make sure I'm going faster. Does that count?
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I'm happily married but, I glance around. I think it's the staring that is kind of forbidden and gets a quick "creep" reaction.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Is there a code? Are you not allowed to sneak a peak....I always look. I can't help it if a guy has a nice smile and I toned...Your thoughts on gym etiquette?

I never look around becuase there are people just wanting to be seen and waiting for any glimmer of contact to start talking your ear off and ruining my workout time. And once that contact is made, too many of these people are more socialite workout folks than really wanting to get a good workout.

I only have 35 minutes, and I have a plan I have to stick to. If you ahve hours to spend there, find someone else to buddy up with.

I don't advert my eyes, but I try to make sure I am not opening that door.