Why Do People at th Gym never look around?

Options

Replies

• zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    people do, but most mind their own business. But after a long while of seeing the same people, consistently at the same time, hard not to chit chat when you see all-the-time.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Most people are focuses on their workout.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I try not to look around to much for a variety of reasons. Primarily, I am highly engaged in lifting my weights and have no desire to break that concentration. Beyond that however, I do it for the purpose of being polite. When I first stepped foot in the gym I was very self-concious of my form and of my body. Not having people looking and judging me helped me grow over the years, and I pay it forward by not looking at others who may also want some 'gym privacy'. Further, being a male in a university gym, I find it important to respect the privacy of all members (regardless of gender) who wish to workout without being ogled.

Not saying I don't ever sneak a peek, but I try not to.
    Awesome!
    I am so much more at ease with the people around me if they are on-task with their workout, and can use basic social skills.
  • insertcoinshere
    insertcoinshere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    because people are there to get **** done, not to people watch

^^^ Couldn't have said it better myself
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    There isn't a code per se, but I don't look at people at the gym because :

1. I hate being watched when I'm breaking a sweat. I look gross. And I believe in the rule "Don't do unto others what..." (I have no idea how to translate that idiom, sorry).
    2. Toned people : They WANT to be seen. Ain't gonna give 'em that.
    3. Self-conscious people : They don't WANT to be watched. I respect that.
    4. Average people : I never notice them anyway.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I look... yoga pants are like makeup for a womens a55
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    The only time I look around is when I'm on the elliptical, and that's because it faces towards the weights. I don't stare, I just kind of watch, look away constantly, or if someone's back is to me, I'll watch their form. But I don't ogle, I keep my head down when I'm in transition to another machine or set of weights. I don't need people staring at me, hell I don't even want anyone striking up a conversation with me, I'm there to get my work out done and get home ASAP.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

1. I hate being watched when I'm breaking a sweat. I look gross. And I believe in the rule "Don't do unto others what..." (I have no idea how to translate that idiom, sorry).

1.Ok.
    2. Wtf?
    3. So it is only ok to give that group what they want?
    4. Average with a nice butt is awesome.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The gym is sort of a religious experience to me. I spend the whole time just praying to get through my next set.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options

1.Ok.
    2. Wtf?
    3. So it is only ok to give that group what they want?
    4. Average with a nice butt is awesome.

1. -
    2. My gym is full of KanyeWest-y people.
    3. That's because of point 1.
    4. I don't have a great sense of observation. I don't notice much, anyway.
  • Bridgysmalls
    Options
    Yeah, people don't look and even talk - They are like '****, we made eye contact, i better look away and pretend I have a hair in my eye or whatever'

I just train, occasionally you look around and people are looking at you / you looking at them without even meaning too / realize you are - most are just in the zone.

The gym is a hard place to go not only physically but mentally, a lot of people are intimidated by the whole psychological aspect of the gym im sure?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Is there a code? Are you not allowed to sneak a peak....I always look. I can't help it if a guy has a nice smile and I toned...Your thoughts on gym etiquette?
    Because most people are there for them. They care about how they look, not how others look. Biggest fear of a newbie in the gym is that everyone is watching them. Couldn't be any further from the truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Is there a code? Are you not allowed to sneak a peak....I always look. I can't help it if a guy has a nice smile and I toned...Your thoughts on gym etiquette?

I look. I don't interact, but I look. I get caught looking too.

I have thought of interacting, but I dont' want to mess with anyone's workouts. OK. I may do a head nod, and maybe a mumbled, "Good Morning", but no in depth conversations. I have been thinking if I ever catch the blonde amazon when she is not in the middle of a set, or run, etc. I would like to tell her how amazing her dedication to her routine is, and I can see it is paying off.
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    When i am in the gym,, i don't talk or stare to anybody,because i am focus on my workout or program, i just stare or talk if they talk or stare at me first,,
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    they might see my fat jiggle and get grossed out so best to keep eyes averted elsewhere like a space cadet
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

I look. I don't interact, but I look. I get caught looking too.

I have thought of interacting, but I dont' want to mess with anyone's workouts. OK. I may do a head nod, and maybe a mumbled, "Good Morning", but no in depth conversations. I have been thinking if I ever catch the blonde amazon when she is not in the middle of a set, or run, etc. I would like to tell her how amazing her dedication to her routine is, and I can see it is paying off.

I should probably add that I am a person who needs to know where everybody in a room is at all times. I get really nervous when I don't know what's going on around me at all times.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I look, the gym classes I take require you to look and keep pace. If there's an eye candy around why not. be open, be friendly.be complimentary. They don't get to be an eye candy by slouching around. You might learn something. Besides being nice doesn't mean that you are getting into her pants.
    I take Zumba and have a lot of lady friends there. it can get flirty sometimes, but that's about as far as it goes, nothing else. And if I see a guy doing some thing I don't understand like a form of weight training or a special move, I'll ask. you might learn something.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking cus you're eye candy lol I'm a visual learner. If you're doing an exercise I haven't seen before I'm gonna learn it to try to incorporate it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy lifting heavy things to look around.
  • SF_6
    SF_6 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    im always looking around, not necessarily at people but just always aware of my surroundings i even walk around in- betwen my sets i get bored just resting for 30 sec or so lol