Name one thing you did that helped you get to you goal..

Options

Replies

• debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I learned to take it slow and steady for weight loss that lasts-
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    I stopped blaming myself and realized that I had it in my too move forward one day at a time
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    joseejolie wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Lifting weights (in particular following a proper program).. I stopped waffling around doing random exercises

Where did you find your program?

Sorry just saw this now.

I ran Strong Curves. It is a book but you can find the PDFs online (although I highly recommend the book, it is so awesome). You can also check out this list community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Eating very light throughout the week so I could overeat on the weekends. I don't think I would have stuck with any other plan.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Eating very light throughout the week so I could overeat on the weekends. I don't think I would have stuck with any other plan.

I totally did this... Not by design though

Went pretty low all week and over exercised, only to collapse and binge on Saturday night

But I still lost every week
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I hope to reach my goal one day, too. I'm trying.

• GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm not at my goal yet, but I did lose 19 lbs so far in a healthy weight range. What really helped me was simple logging. It allowed me to be patient and trust the process. When I lose 2 pounds in a month I am happy instead of dissapointed, because I know that I can keep this up and will get there in the end.

Another thing is tea. When I'm having a sweet tooth pickwick is there for me with tastes like caramelized pear. Yum! Even better when combined with a mandarin orange.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

I totally did this... Not by design though

Went pretty low all week and over exercised, only to collapse and binge on Saturday night

But I still lost every week

To be clear I didn't binge on the weekends. I've never been a binge eater or an over exerciser. I simply chose to eat light (1000-1300) during the work week when my life is very scheduled so that I could eat more (well over 2000) on the weekends.

I still do this now that I am in maintenance only with more calories to play with.
  • ItsMyLife1956
    ItsMyLife1956 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had read this great book about HABITS and one theme stood out which was actually in an anecdotal chapter about a steel company, Alcoa. The new CEO came in and chose just ONE corporate habit to change and the anecdote was to illustrate that sometimes we overcomplicate things and just choosing one thing will make the others (activities surrounding that goal) fall in line. And that you can easily build on one good habit with others. So I decided to apply that to my eating/weight loss. Picked just tracking. I told myself that I could eat whatever I just had to log it. It was easier than EVER before in my weight loss attempts to stick to my given calories--I'm talking quick turnaround in my behavior sustained over time. And by doing that, I started to eat healthier so I could stay in line with my given calories. I always love to work out so that really wasn't much of an issue but I was able to go workout after a long hard work day because I was making progress with eating and actual weight loss. It's amazing how things build on each other quickly by just picking one thing. In the past, I think i've failed or been stalled by trying to do too MANY things and be perfect. Picking just the tracking (where I told myself I didn't have to be perfect) has gotten me closer than anything else ever did. So I highly recommend that book (they do have some anecdotes that relate to weight loss but those didn't mean as much to me as the steel company one did--anyway it's valuable book for sure).

Also can I just say, like most people usually do, I always make new year's resolutions. And every year they are usual require a huge burst of energy and major different lifestyle to even ATTEMPT to make good on them for a few weeks :neutral: This year I already have the basics in place, because they are my normal lifestyle now (tracking, food prep, an exercise routine and options on that). So most of my goals this year with regard to lifestyle (last 5 pounds, leg/glute toning & strength, and continue to incorporate healthier foods) are about little tweaks not an overhaul and build on behaviors I already have going . I have to say that has made starting 2018 very exciting!

I am currently reading that book (The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg) and it is an eye opener for figuring out why I eat what I eat when I eat, and for helping to figure out how to change these habits. Very empowering for taking back control of my life.
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Moving more and NOT restricting anything. If I wanted a chocolate bar, I’d still have it but I’d make sure it would fit it into my daily allowance. It’s all about moderation :smiley:
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Logging everything on here AND chewing gum when I find myself getting hungry when I don’t need to be. (never been much of a big gum person but I heard this advice from a friend and it works.)

I also have an ideal body type in mind, and every time I get bad cravings I will think of it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!