13»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    emjay6x3 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    emjay6x3 wrote: »
    Muscle weighs more than fat. So if you're lifting heavy, then it won't show on the scale. If you want to lose weight, besides calorie deficit, focus on higher reps/lighter weight.

Muscle is more dense than fat. It does not weight more, nor less. It takes up less space. So your body will look more compact/lean if you have more muscle than fat. A lb is still a lb!
    You COMPARE materials by volume for density. Therefore if you had the same volume of muscle and same volume of fat, muscle weighs more than fat. I get what you're saying, but it's incorrect.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

That being said, a pound of muscle still weighs the same as a pound of fat... Just as a pound of bricks still weighs the same as a pound of feathers. That was my point. :)

Which doesn't really have any meaning in regards to the statement "muscle weighs more than fat" without knowing if there is only a pound of each. Most reasonable people would assume same volume because that's how the statement makes sense.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I think different things work for different people. I've gone from 188 pounds to 148, and I don't calorie count, and I don't use a food scale to track my intake. I eat three meals, and sometimes I have a light snack, and I do workout 3 times a week it works for me, and I feel like I'm not obsessing about anything. I think being able to eat less portions is important, and being active even a little is important. just eat less than you normally do, and if you want go for walks if you can.

I did on occasion not even work out, and I still lost weight the diet is important.

Good luck!!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,145 Member
    Options
    kverenat wrote: »
    Instead of dieting maybe try adding more vegetables to every meal? Try cutting out processed foods and eat more whole natural foods.

Sounds like dieting to me :)

What @kverenat posted sounds like a good suggestion, and a smart and healthy way of eating; and like @sssgilbe also suggested: the OP can try to be in control of and accountable for his/her food choices. After all, we all have our own'"diet," (as a way of eating).
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The recipe for weight loss is basically move more and eat less. I think you want a calorie restriction method that doesn't feel like a diet. So i can think of two possibilities:
    1. Fasting once or twice a week - that can be just skipping a single meal or more. Look at the 5-2 diet for more detail about this approach. Basically though if you skip lunch every Monday and Thursday you probably won't feel like you're on a diet.
    2. Add a fibre supplement to a daily meal. You're likely to then naturally eat less.