Who's looking forward to the huge influx of New Year's Resolutions people?

Options

Replies

• the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    The reason the resolutioners bother me is this 1) they hog the gym for about 1 month. It’s a waste of everyone’s time, it’s usually non-sense, and many of them workout like idiots. 2) sometimes, you see some of the same people year after year, another waste of time. 2) many of them don’t understand or care about gym etiquette. So, they will hog 6 machines and have a pile of dumbbells next to them while they do stupid non-sensical exercise that isn’t helping them with any goal. 3) they don’t try to learn about an exercise regime or diet, they crash diet and workout like dummies.

On the poisitive side, 1) there are always 1 or 2 people that you see stick with it. 2) it only lasts for about a month.

This is true but as someone stated, we all start somewhere. I’m glad my gym mates were patient with my stupidity. I’m just going to plan ahead and assume my workouts will take longer while I wait for equipment to clear. Fortunately for me, it’s my belief that most of the newbies will gravitate to the machines and most of my work is done on the power rack so hopefully I won’t have to deal with much.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to it because it means there will be less cake and cookies and trash floating around the workplace and also food facebook posts will decrease. LOL. I don't partake, but it gets old starting around Halloween having all of this shoved in your face and people insisting you need to fatten up so leaving things on your desk etc..

My co workers have actually said they're gonna replace their candy bowl with a fruit bowl. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Things will be annoyingly packed around the gym for awhile, but it will back to normal around March when people start to quit en masse. Gym's actually depend on people quitting to operate. If everyone showed up regularly that had a membership the fire marshal would have to shut the place down for being too crowded. Sad as it is, the overwhelming majority of people just won't stick with it. The cyclical process will then begin anew in January of 2019.
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    Things will be annoyingly packed around the gym for awhile, but it will back to normal around March when people start to quit en masse. Gym's actually depend on people quitting to operate. If everyone showed up regularly that had a membership the fire marshal would have to shut the place down for being too crowded. Sad as it is, the overwhelming majority of people just won't stick with it. The cyclical process will then begin anew in January of 2019.

Doesn't that mean gyms intentionally sell more memberships to people than their building can physically handle? There's no rule against this?
  • JustRobby1
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dinadyna21 wrote: »

Doesn't that mean gyms intentionally sell more memberships to people than their building can physically handle? There's no rule against this?

Of course they do, ask anybody that has ever worked in one (including yours truly :smile: ) As to the fire marshal, the building can't go over it's max occupancy of course, but again, since most people won't show up long term, or in some cases even show up at all after buying a membership, this is rarely an issue.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Of course they do, ask anybody that has ever worked in one (including yours truly :smile: ) As to the fire marshal, the building can't go over it's max occupancy of course, but again, since most people won't show up long term, or in some cases even show up at all after buying a membership, this is rarely an issue.

Without a doubt.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    The reason the resolutioners bother me is this 1) they hog the gym for about 1 month. It’s a waste of everyone’s time, it’s usually non-sense, and many of them workout like idiots. 2) sometimes, you see some of the same people year after year, another waste of time. 2) many of them don’t understand or care about gym etiquette. So, they will hog 6 machines and have a pile of dumbbells next to them while they do stupid non-sensical exercise that isn’t helping them with any goal. 3) they don’t try to learn about an exercise regime or diet, they crash diet and workout like dummies.

On the poisitive side, 1) there are always 1 or 2 people that you see stick with it. 2) it only lasts for about a month.

Go early morning and you won't have this issue. If someone is new and there at 5 AM they are dead *kitten* serious.
  • JustRobby1
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Without a doubt.

Some people will literally go on paying their monthly bank draft for YEARS, even though they have not actually visited the club in an eternity. This is why many clubs make it to where you actually have to physically show up in order to cancel as opposed to a phone call or online. Some people can't seem to face the music and admit defeat, so they go on paying. This happens far more frequently than most people probably realize.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Without a doubt.

Some people will literally go on paying their monthly bank draft for YEARS, even though they have not actually visited the club in an eternity. This is why many clubs make it to where you actually have to physically show up in order to cancel as opposed to a phone call or online. Some people can't seem to face the music and admit defeat, so they go on paying. This happens far more frequently than most people probably realize.

Saw this not sure how accurate it is though:

Percent of people with gym memberships that never use them 67 %

https://www.statisticbrain.com/gym-membership-statistics/
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Some already arrived full of keto and I. F joys.....
    Sam29a wrote: »
    I was one of them! I started in 2016, January 1st. :smile: Still here almost 2 years later. Started obese, now around 110 lbs and normal weight, but still very much a work in progress. I too am hoping to make some changes this year and am waiting for January 1st to start. I don't know why but starting afresh just makes things easier.

Lost about 45 pounds in 2017. Waiting until Jan 1 to make some changes and lose some more. Hopefully in late December, I can make a post just like this. Because we're never really "done", we just get to a better place and continue on.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I try to see the positive in it. Though the forums will get flooded with a lot of repeat questions and many new users will disappear in short time, some will stick with it and accomplish their goals. Some even stick around long term to help the next generations of "newbies". And if it helps only a few of them meet a new goal of bettering themselves in some way, it's worth it IMO. Even before the resolutions hit we see all kinds of crazy questions anyway.

But there is no doubt about it. The offshore earthquake has taken place, and a tsunami wave of giant proportions will be flooding the shores with questions of ACV, HIIT, IF, Keto, and whatever else they have seen lately that is the new weight control secret.
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'll happily support anyone who is looking to make a positive change. If they don't continue in their goal, that is their issue.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to expect this year.. my gym is small and cheap with lots of "swol bros" so I'm sure they'll scare off the Resolutioners pretty early.