Feeling guilty

Options
124»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If I had a medical condition that required me to eat a particular way I would do things like plan meals, pre-log my food, meal prep in advance, know foods I could grab in an emergency at the store.
    If I were eating a low fat diet and small meals and not reaching my calorie goal I would probably try choosing more foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, and bananas.

There are low fat food lists and meal plans.
    https://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/low-fat-eating-plan/meal-plan
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    We do not recommend women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories per day. Eating too little can produce negative health effects.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

The facts as far as MFP goes is that 1,200 is the minimum recommended calories stated in more than one place. I could not find what you stated as MFP minimums. Where have you seen MFP state 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums?

I think it's the pop up warning when you try to close out your diary with less than 1000 calories logged.

I just tried closing my diary with 1,161 calories logged using the MFP app on my kindle fire and the message I got said I was undereating and putting myself at risk and should eat a minimum of 1200 calories. It did not say 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums they recommend. So far it does not seem to be the case that MFP is saying 1,000 calories is their minimum recommendation though. I have not tried closing my diary on the web site or the app on my phone which may give a different message.

MFP let's you close as long as you're over 1000. Could be 1001 it'll still let you close but MFP will never give you a goal lower than 1200. So obviously they don't recommend you go below 1200.
  • elliemae1981
    elliemae1981 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I've got a friend at work that was eating really low calories and couldn't lose weight and upped them a bit and then he started losing again. I think your bmr can really go low if you don't eat enough and that will stop you from losing.

No. .that's not how it works.

He counts cals and has a nutrition coach and that is what he said. Eating too low won't lower metabolism? He may have been off in his counting but that is what he said and he has results to back it up. I've read many others with similar experiences.

I've heard of that happening. Read where a lady had the same issue and her doctor didn't believe her about what she was eating. She used an app similar to mfp and she showed him and he told her to up her calories and she started losing. Today I'm only 42 calories short of my goal. I had more time today to eat.
  • elliemae1981
    Options
    If I had a medical condition that required me to eat a particular way I would do things like plan meals, pre-log my food, meal prep in advance, know foods I could grab in an emergency at the store.
    If I were eating a low fat diet and small meals and not reaching my calorie goal I would probably try choosing more foods like potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, and bananas.

There are low fat food lists and meal plans.
    https://heartuk.org.uk/cholesterol-and-diet/low-fat-eating-plan/meal-plan

I do eat mashed potatoes and pasta, those foods I tolerate well. I also drink these bolthouse brand cherry juice
  • elliemae1981
    Options
    We do not recommend women consume fewer than 1200 calories per day, or men fewer than 1500 calories per day. Eating too little can produce negative health effects.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    from https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

The facts as far as MFP goes is that 1,200 is the minimum recommended calories stated in more than one place. I could not find what you stated as MFP minimums. Where have you seen MFP state 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums?

I think it's the pop up warning when you try to close out your diary with less than 1000 calories logged.

I just tried closing my diary with 1,161 calories logged using the MFP app on my kindle fire and the message I got said I was undereating and putting myself at risk and should eat a minimum of 1200 calories. It did not say 1,000-1,200 for women and 1,200-1,500 for men are the minimums they recommend. So far it does not seem to be the case that MFP is saying 1,000 calories is their minimum recommendation though. I have not tried closing my diary on the web site or the app on my phone which may give a different message.

Interesting. I haven't tried closing it out under count for a long time. I know that was what used to pop up some time ago (maybe last year). Either way, I know for myself to get a sufficient micro and macro balance, I need about 1500 calories per day. I'm sure I could do it on less, but I like having a treat once in a while.

Odd, it does on my app on my phone
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @elliemae1981 Increase your calories by eating more beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, dried fruit, pasta, bread, broccoli, egg whites, cereal, fruit, popcorn, oatmeal, grits, bagels, toast with honey or jelly, sweet potatoes, squash, zucchini, butternut squash, meatless chili,
    black bean tacos, bean soups, Protein powder/ protein bars.
    Here's a protein powder that I like: Nutribiotic Organic Rice Protein, Plain.
    Also hemp seeds: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts