Concerned advice I was given

Options

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Low Carb = miserable me lol! I lost 45 lbs and ate carbs at every meal... and def ate lots of fruit.
    You need to remember this is YOUR weight loss journey, you can lose weight on any diet or program, but its keeping it off that is the hard part. Find something that works for you and you feel like you can live with or else your journey will be a downer !

Some people on this site think that their way is the only way, and they even think that whether they have lost 5lbs or 50 lbs. So just be open to different opinions but do what you think is right for you!

Good luck!

Some of us are here because we gained weight back due to health issues. There are far more people that are overweight due to health issues than there are due to just over eating..............

I would still be maintaining my 100+ loss if I had not started having problems with Thyroid, Pituitary and Adrenal Gland Fatigue. I gained some of the weight back and will get it back off as my meds get regulated.
    Completly agree with you.
    And I don't critize anyone but we would not be here if we were nutrition experts would we? :)

HWG :happy:
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options

With high blood pressure you were told to add more fruit, which will in turn drive up your Triglycerides, which starts leading the way to get heart disease????

Why would fruits ( a carbohydrate) drive up triglycerides ? This would only be if you consume an extreme excess of fruit (much as an extreme excess of any food), where the excess calories are converted to triglycerides. It is misleading to say fruit turns into triglycerides, when in fact carbohydrates are the first calories to be used in your body.

And since I follow a very low carb eating plan, my body is burning fat first.

There is a book called Eat Fat to Lose Fat by Dr Mary Enig that explains the science behind in great detail.

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Dr Gary Taubes is another good book to read that explains how the research over the past 50 years is all wrong............

Fat always gets burned last. The order is alcohol-carbs-protein-fat

Please research ketogenic eating...............I am in fact burning fat first as in the absence of carbs, fat is burned in its place.

You don't have to believe me. The proof is in the pudding so to speak and in the books I have read.

I am quite confident I know more about ketogenic eating than yourself. Yes, you are burning far more fat with a ketogenic diet than you would with a normal diet, since your body has to convert fat into ketones to fuel your brain. However, you STILL burn alcohol first, carbs second (yes, you are intaking less, but they get used up first), protein third, and fat last.

I will say that I know more about ketogenic eating than you. I have more than 7 years of experience at this,

I have studied the science behind the ketogenic diet, I am living it and have had tremendous success with it in terms of health benefits and the bonus of weight loss.

Most days I do not eat any carbs at all, so there are no carbs to burn either. Some days I do allow myself up to 50 carbs per day.

By modifying the way you eat, you can trigger your body to burn fat.

Yes, well whichever carbs you eat are burned first :) That is how the body works. Yes, you can change what you eat so that your body has to use whatever you give it, but the order never changes. See, we are not in disagreement.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Most days I do not eat any carbs at all, so there are no carbs to burn either. Some days I do allow myself up to 50 carbs per day.

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything. I'm honestly just curious (I've never looked into a low-carb diet). How do you get by eating ZERO carbs? Unless you are only eating meat and oil. Even fibrous vegetables have small amounts of carbohydrates. And if you are eating only meat and oil, you're also getting practically no fiber.
  • recipe4success
    Options

I'm not trying to start a debate or anything. I'm honestly just curious (I've never looked into a low-carb diet). How do you get by eating ZERO carbs? Unless you are only eating meat and oil. Even fibrous vegetables have small amounts of carbohydrates. And if you are eating only meat and oil, you're also getting practically no fiber.

Yeah- basically what it boils down to is that the only thing you can eat which is devoid of any carbohydrate is fat or oil. Everything else has carbs in it, even meat and fish :)
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    all this sounds so complicated!

for thousands of years, people have eaten grains. thousands. atkin's diet comes around, what, a decade ago? and decides that meat is the only thing a person can eat?

sick. especially with the quality of US meat. just sick.

why don't we all just try moving around once in a while. have a sandwich! but don't have five sandwiches.

have an apple! but don't eat a bag of apples. i mean, really, is it seriously that complicated?

pay closer attention to items without a barcode and a nutrition label. just eat wisely and until you're half full. then go for a walk.

(asians eat rice every day - they're pretty lean...)
  • recipe4success
    Options

for thousands of years, people have eaten grains. thousands. atkin's diet comes around, what, a decade ago? and decides that meat is the only thing a person can eat?

why don't we all just try moving around once in a while. have a sandwich! but don't have five sandwiches.

have an apple! but don't eat a bag of apples. i mean, really, is it seriously that complicated?

pay closer attention to items without a barcode and a nutrition label. just eat wisely and until you're half full. then go for a walk.

precisely. carbs are not evil.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Just because humans have been eating grains, doesn't mean we are meant to eat them either. They can not be eaten without a lot of processing to make them digestible.

Atkins has been around since the 1970's, however low carbing has been around since the cave man, which is what I follow. A Paleo way of eating............

The first low carb book in print was in the 1800's, by the man who's quote is in my signature. William Banting.

Low carbing is not new. In the grand scheme of things, removing fat from everything is what is still relatively new and we see how health and well being has done nothing but go down hill over these past 50 years..............

I have a quite a few asian friends and none of them really eat rice or noodles...............Their diets consist mostly of protein, fats and Lots and lots of veggies...........I have Japanese, Vietnamese, Phillipino, and Chinese friends in particular.

I don't eat grocery store meats. All of my meats are from a local butcher shop who gets his beef, pork and chicken from local farmers from Illinois and Missouri - all within a 50 mile range. No hormones, no anti-biotics and grass fed, no grain at all.
    That is some of the best meat you can ever have and I know it is clean.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

We don't need fiber if we are getting adequate water and fats. Everything moves through the way it is supposed to. I have less problems with constipation eating this way then I do eating grains and no inflammation.

Check out this website............

http://zeroinginonhealth.com/
  • recipe4success
    Options

We don't need fiber if we are getting adequate water and fats. Everything moves through the way it is supposed to. I have less problems with constipation eating this way then I do eating grains and no inflammation.

Sorry, this post diminished your credibility completely. You need fibre. Fibre is not only to help prevent constipation, it also aids colonic health, which fats have no part in. Fibre helps lower your blood cholesterol (which fats certainly do not) as well as lower your blood sugar levels. Fibre is not absorbed by the body, and thus does not constitute a caloric value. Fibre also produces a sense of fullness, decreasing your appetite.
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Shygal, for saying everything much more politely than I could. :smile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Sorry, this post diminished your credibility completely. You need fibre. Fibre is not only to help prevent constipation, it also aids colonic health, which fats have no part in. Fibre helps lower your blood cholesterol (which fats certainly do not) as well as lower your blood sugar levels. Fibre is not absorbed by the body, and thus does not constitute a caloric value. Fibre also produces a sense of fullness, decreasing your appetite.

Sorry, but that is conventional wisdom thinking that I know longer partake in.

My cholesterol is perfect, my triglycerides are perfect, I am no longer on Diabetes medications and I am not hungry in the least.

Just because you don't agree with my lifestyle, doesn't give you a right to say anything diminishes my credibility. I am having good results, my doctors are happy and I am happy.

It is amazing that you would say that fiber makes cholesterol go down, but the funny thing is, since I have ditched the grains and added back in fats my cholesterol has went way down..........And fats create and help with satiety.

My blood work is posted on this website also.

Research the Pemmicans, Intuits and Eskimos. All eat primarily a 0 carb lifestyle and are very healthy because of it.......
  • recipe4success
    Options

Research the Pemmicans, Intuits and Eskimos. All eat primarily a 0 carb lifestyle and are very healthy because of it.......

They are healthy because when it comes down to it, it is important we get certain NUTRIENTS in our diet, not protein, fat, and carbohydrate. They ate organ meats, including liver, which is extremely high in vitamin A (normally obtained from fruit/veg) and vitamin D. THey also consumed primarily mono and poly unsaturated fats, as well as omega 3 fatty acids.

Do you eat liver and whale blubber? Somehow I doubt it. So you cannot compare your diet to that of the eskimos.
  • recipe4success
    Options
    Thank you, Shygal, for saying everything much more politely than I could. :smile:

:)
  • July24Lioness
    Options

They are healthy because when it comes down to it, it is important we get certain NUTRIENTS in our diet, not protein, fat, and carbohydrate. They ate organ meats, including liver, which is extremely high in vitamin A (normally obtained from fruit/veg) and vitamin D. THey also consumed primarily mono and poly unsaturated fats, as well as omega 3 fatty acids.

Do you eat liver and whale blubber? Somehow I doubt it. So you cannot compare your diet to that of the eskimos.

I do eat organ meats to include liver (have always eaten liver as my mom cooked it on a regular basis), heart, kidney, beef tongue, brains, etc............

So, I can compare my diet to the Inuits, Pemmicans and / or Eskimos. I have never had whale blubber.

AS I have mentioned before go check out Marks Daily Apple in regards to the Primal Blue Print - it has opened my eyes to a whole new way of life.
  • kayemme
    Options

who have you been talking to? do you really want to poop out water and oil? seriously?? no thanks.
  • kayemme
    Options

these tribes also live in very cold temperatures and are considered "husky" by many.

you're doing yourself no favors by trying to eat a 0 carb diet. fiber is good for your pooper!!!
  • kayemme
    Options
    listen, if it's working for you and your doctor, then whatever. but this diet you're talking about is not healthy for the average person. maybe you have a superpooper? your pooper doesn't need fiber: okay. whatevs. most people need fiber to sustain proper colonic health.

i think it's a very dangerous thing to come into a public website like this and spout about how a person only needs fats and water to survive. that's plain nonsense.

in a world (that we may soon have, thanks, bp!) this may be our only choice - but for now we are lucky enough to have a variety of whole foods to choose from and we should balance it out kindly and effectively, consciously and graciously.

and then go for a walk.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

My cholesterol is perfect, my triglycerides are perfect, I am no longer on Diabetes medications and I am not hungry in the least.

Just because you don't agree with my lifestyle, doesn't give you a right to say anything diminishes my credibility. I am having good results, my doctors are happy and I am happy.

It is amazing that you would say that fiber makes cholesterol go down, but the funny thing is, since I have ditched the grains and added back in fats my cholesterol has went way down..........And fats create and help with satiety.

Interestingly, Dr. McDougall has gotten the same results with basically the exact opposite diet (low fat, vegan). So, again it all seems to come down to what works for the individual and what that person can maintain. Personally, I couldn't handle so much meat. And I love the color and variety that vegetables bring to my plate. There's no way I could maintain a zero-carb diet, or even a low-carb diet for that matter. There may be more than one way to health.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

who have you been talking to? do you really want to poop out water and oil? seriously?? no thanks.

For one, I speak very candidly and openly with my Endocrinologist who is one of the Nation's BEST Endo's at Washington University Hospital.

My naturopathic doctor is another one.

LOL, I don't poop out oil and water, my poop is no different than it ever has been, except since I have given up all grains I no longer have gas, stomach aches or other digestive issues.

If you eat a high carb eating plan, then from what I am researching is why you need fiber...............low carb eating plans don't need fiber.

http://paleohacks.com/questions/922/is-fiber-necessary-in-our-diet
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Interestingly, Dr. McDougall has gotten the same results with basically the exact opposite diet (low fat, vegan). So, again it all seems to come down to what works for the individual and what that person can maintain. Personally, I couldn't handle so much meat. And I love the color and variety that vegetables bring to my plate. There's no way I could maintain a zero-carb diet, or even a low-carb diet for that matter. There may be more than one way to health.

I have my times where I eat lots and lots of veggies and bits of fruit, but I am enjoying the freedom of eating proteins and fats, keeping full and not having to eat multiple times per day.
This discussion has been closed.