Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

We're not responsible for being obese?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The article is annoying, but I think it's important to distinguish between two separate things:

(1) Are you ultimately responsible for your choices and are there things you should and can do to help yourself make better choices? Do you have a significant degree of choice in what you do, including (of course) what you eat? Yes, and that is important for people to realize when it comes to weight loss and maintenance.

(2) Are there also societal (cultural and other) influences on how people as a group act, on average that may affect what we do? Of course this is also true. We aren't just fatter now because we got lazy and weak compared to people in the past. Put us in the same situations as them, and them as us, and you'd probably get the exact same results as you have now (and did then) -- it's not that people are different, but that circumstances do affect behavior. (This can be such things as having no option but to move more, less food availability (which is not inherently good, obviously), and different cultural norms and taught behaviors.) To compare something like addiction (which the CNN piece did, I'm not convinced that's a great comparison here), clearly people ARE responsible for their own behaviors, but that doesn't change the fact that cultural norms and attitudes and availability and family background WILL make a statistical difference in behavior on average. We can acknowledge this and think about whether there is anything that can be done to tilt outcomes in a better direction without absolving people of responsibility. In fact, understanding what the influences are can be very helpful.
    A few months later, my husband broke his wrist in a fall. In the emergency room, they gave him a prescription for the exact type of painkiller mentioned in the story. Based on the news story combined with the level of pain that he was feeling, he decided not to fill the prescription. Knowing the overall trend allowed him to make a better decision. I don't doubt his personal responsibility and will power for a minute, but knowing there are all sorts of people struggling with addiction problems with the US I'm glad we were aware and could avoid unnecessarily bringing a highly addictive substance into our lives (we both come from families with histories of addiction).

I would have filled the prescription, and if I didn't need it immediately, put it away in my backpack. If anything ever happens when I'm ten miles from the nearest road...

I've done that same exact thing.

When the med expires, it's discarded.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ... That liberalizing pendulum swing brought us where we are now, with too many opioid deaths, too much opioid addiction, and leaving me (and others) concerned that hysterical over-correction, fueled in part by public outrage, may again leave people in unnecessary pain through too-tight restriction.

I agree. In the United States, we still have a puritanical attitude toward the use of drugs, particularly among those on the political right. That's why Jeff Sessions, who once said "Good people don't smoke marijuana", would like to shut down its medical use.
    I'm not very sympathetic to the idea that we first-world moderns have uniquely meaningless lives, and that that's a reason/excuse for addiction. It's a simple explanation, therefore likely incomplete at best. ;)

Lab rats become addicted to drugs when they're given to them, and I doubt they ever think about the meaning of their lives -- or are capable of doing so. Animals in the wild will eat fermented fruit until they're staggering drunk and easy prey for predators (I've seen both songbirds and squirrels do this).
    ...Dependency is not a matter of loose morals, bad choices, or ethnic background. Substance abuse is a direct result of modifications in hardwiring of the brain. ... addiction involves changes in particular synapses of the reward pathway that rewire around the substance through the process of LTP [long-term potentiation...

(Neuroscience for Clinicians, Simpkins and Simpkins, p. 305)

I agree with this as an explanation of the mechanism of addiction - but humans can also think rationally about their choices - it's bad choices that got the addict to a bad place in his/her life, and it's replacing them with good choices that will get him/her to get help and break the bonds of addiction. My abuse of alcohol was my own choice, as was my choice not to seek help until my life was falling apart. Ditto with my being overweight for years without doing anything about it.
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    So you're a competition level male physique competitor? and you chose that as your profile pic. Amazing. Oh and all the healthiest, leanest, and longest living populations are high carb low fat traditional cultures. No cultures are keto, not even the eskimos.

Thanks, though I don’t consider myself as someone who is “competition level” when it comes to physique. It is always good to aspire to be healthy though! I’m glad my good health shows in my senior portrait.

I would love to read a few studies that shows longevity in terms of diet, though that really has nothing to do with this topic in general. If you have any studies in particular you’d like to discuss, shoot me a PM!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    When it comes down to obesity, I belive there are two pathways of blame: the person or his/her metabolic system. Here’s my logic:

Some obese people have no control over their weight due to some metabolic issue despite making every attempt in resolving it. Mind you, in good cases people with for example half or no thyroid have found a way to keep their weight under control - diet and excercise. Regardless of that, there are still those who are simply stuck with what they have.

In that path, it isn’t their fault.

Some obese people have no metabolic issue, or a metabolic issue that doesn’t contribute to weight gain. They become obese because they eat too much and are sedentary - they eat because it gives them that addicting dopamine rush. It pleases them, so they eat more and more and, in consequense, become obese. This is despite seeing the physical change in their bodies, which makes it safe to say that it is in a way their fault for being the way they are. They chose their pleasure to be food, while those with serious metabolic issues have no choice.

There is certainly a grey area in this debate - whether or not diet education is a factor. For example, it is being discovered that fat does not make you fat- it is in fact sugar and carbohydrates that do. Yet for a long time the food industry has convinced us that fat is the number one enemy. More than 70% of my macros has been fat for over three years. My LDL Cholesterol level is normal and I’m now 5’9 150lbs and 8% fat. If the American guidelines were so great, why are 1/3 of us obese? The problem in some cases is not metabolics or life choices, it’s the beurcracy of the food industry influencing the population on what to eat that gives them profit in exchange for their health.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9rWjb7t8cfo

Well...if you want to ever do something about it you'd better hope it's your fault.

Metabolic issues are exceedingly rare. Even in extreme circumstances the impact to BMR/REE is ~5% from clinical observation. That's 80 kcals/day out of a 1600 kcal/day budget.

Your weight is an output of your behavior.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    .... Pain clinics sprang up, some regs were relaxed. Now we have an opioid crisis. Unrelated?...

Pain clinics are not the problem, and neither is the existence of opioids. The problem is abuse by people who use the drugs, then abuse them, then look for ways to feed their habits. It's the bad choices of the abusers that have caused the epidemic, not the existence of pain clinics.

Pain clinics use a variety of techniques to help people manage chronic pain: biofeedback, cognitive behavioral therapy, hypnotherapy, massage, meditation. They're not pill pushing stations and it does a disservice to those who work at pain clinics to blame them for the situation society finds itself in.

100% agree.